OddUnit
Weird engine mount experience... Cooltext403300291

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OddUnit
Weird engine mount experience... Cooltext403300291
OddUnit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weird engine mount experience...

5 posters

Go down

Weird engine mount experience... Empty Weird engine mount experience...

Post by jmc Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:16 am

Just gone from a solid front engine mount (which scarily enough wasn't bolted down tight) and a stock VW gearbox mount, to Vibrartechnics front and gearbox mounts, and the car is now vibrating much more low revs. I thought this change wouldn't have made a huge difference, so I'd be interest to hear peoples thoughts on whether this was to be expected - does uprating the gearbox mount make a huge difference to vibration? I can't believe chnaging from a solid mount (albeit not bolted down properly) to a vibratechnics front engine mount would have increased vibration. Very puzzled....
jmc
jmc
.:Bored:.

Male Number of posts : 271

Back to top Go down

Weird engine mount experience... Empty Re: Weird engine mount experience...

Post by junkie Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:31 pm

Yea according to lev it is the updating of the gearbox mount that does the most damage to vibration. Can't say I ever noticed that much vibration myself it must be me who just got used to it and also it's a nice massaging effect lol.

Don't worry be happy.
junkie
junkie

Male Number of posts : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:54 pm

I put the stiffer tdi gearbox mount in.
It will be coming out when I get a chance.The vibration annoys me.
dirtytorque
dirtytorque
.:Charged:.
.:Charged:.

Number of posts : 1101

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:15 am

My mate used Diesel gearbox mount in his mk1. Vibration-tastic! But it kinda suited the car (mk1 G60) really. Not sure I'd want to put up with it myself.

What 'real' advantages do the Vibratechnics mounts give you anyway?
mrbeige
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:33 am

The rear and gearbox mounts have the biggest effect on cabin vibration because they are bolted to the subframe, which is in turn bolted to the floor, you feel everything.

The front mount is isolated from the car by 4 rubber donuts. You could have a boulder or a bath sponge as a front mount, it makes very little difference to overall vibration.

And as Junkie said, I've found the gearbox mount's shure rating has the biggest effect on vibration overall. Maybe it's because meshing cogs and chattery clutches aren't as smooth as reciprocating cranks and pistons, I don't know, but it's that which causes the nasty low rpm vibes.

Vibra mounts, and in particular the competition spec, sure as hell nail that gearshift quality, but the diff whine and vibes are awful. Vibratechnics do say their mounts aren't best suited for road use though Very Happy

GSF MK2 mount (solid rubber) is what you want, but only because the VW one is £100!! Noticably soggier gearshift and engine rock when enaging / disengaging the clutch, but no nasty vibes.

kevhaywire
.:Stroked:.
.:Stroked:.

Number of posts : 605

Back to top Go down

Post by jmc Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:13 am

Interesting, thanks guys. I spoke with someone at the CCGB AGM as well, who mentioned Vibratechnics have changed the rubber compound they use recently and the mounts now take about 1000-1500 miles to properly bed in, after which they get noticably less harsh. So I'll see what happens.

After changing everything definately feels tighter most of the time, it's just the really annoying vibration at 1000rpm that bugs me. C'est la vie - most if not all performance mods come with a downside in terms of comfort. God I'm getting old Laughing

On the plus side I also got my EGT gauge fitted Very Happy
jmc
jmc

Male Number of posts : 271

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down