OddUnit
Shaky engine.... Cooltext403300291

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OddUnit
Shaky engine.... Cooltext403300291
OddUnit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shaky engine....

3 posters

Go down

Shaky engine.... Empty Shaky engine....

Post by mrbeige Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:09 pm

Right guys, I think I might have a problem with the Golf VR. For a while now, just after starting from cold, the egnine his a kind of whine about it, that clears after a mile or so. I kind of feel like it could be a tired oil pump, but not sure as there is no oil pressure guage to determine low pressure. It almost sounds a bit tappety too, but again after a mile or so it's ok. So, tonight Mrs B tells me that the engine revs dipped a couple of times today again from cold, so I've just been outside to see if it did it for me, but thankfully not. BUT, whilst checking this other issue, I rev'd the engine to around 1500 rpm, and the whole car starts shaking/vibrating, and then try different rpms between idle and 2500rpm, and the engine is no where near as smooth as it was before. What I'm worried about is oil starvation on the main bearings and wondering if I might be looking at an engine rebuild? I had noticed the idle wasn't particularly smooth with the air-con on (800rpm) as opposed to without it on (650rpm) the other day, along with a vibration under hard acceleration, that started me thinking...... Crying or Very sad Shocked pale
mrbeige
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Shaky engine.... Empty Re: Shaky engine....

Post by Toad Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:54 pm

I'm pretty sure the whine is the oil pump, mine did it lots too, and I did a bit of research. As for the vibration, is the coil pack all good?

Might be worth getting a pressure gauge and taking a snuffle under the rocker cover too.
Toad
Toad
.:Mod:.

Number of posts : 411

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:01 pm

Toad wrote:I'm pretty sure the whine is the oil pump, mine did it lots too, and I did a bit of research. As for the vibration, is the coil pack all good?

Might be worth getting a pressure gauge and taking a snuffle under the rocker cover too.
Pretty sure the coil-pack is good, still pulls well, better since fitting the new sparkies anyway.... scratch
mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:45 pm

Don't worry about the whine, they all do it, even R32s (same pump).

Shaking/vibration holding at a certain rpm is probably a misfire.

You worry too much, welcome to VR6 ownership!

kevhaywire
.:Stroked:.

Number of posts : 605

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:07 am

I would guess that a misfire would cause the engine revs to drop momentarily at idle as well then?

And yes, I probably do worry to much... Embarassed
mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:45 am

The engine dropping at idle is probably throttle or MAF related.

On OBD2 VR6s, the throttle body can get sticky at best and develop a lazy stepper motor at worst. Try cleaning the throttle first. I have a brand new OBD2 throttle at home if you need to borrow it for troubleshooting.

MAFs also cause similar symptoms and rough running, lack of power etc. OBD2 is a lot more fussy of MAF signal than OBD1. But they're cheap from GSF / VW, ~ £70 exchange last time I got one.

kevhaywire

Number of posts : 605

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:54 am

I'll see how I get on with the idle issue, as I haven't experienced it yet. Cheers for the info, prices aren't as bad as I was expecting.

Back to the misfire; when I changed the spark plugs a couple of the HT leads had little cracks in them where they were pushed into the plastic trims on the manifold, I guess that could also cause the misfire? In addition, both Carleena and I have noticed the smell of fuel evry now and then, from the rear of the car. I guess that could also indicate a misfire, with unburnt fuel going into the exhaust?

We are off to Northumberland on saturday and ideally I don't want to fork out the £130 for a new coil-pack if it isn't necessary....
mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by Toad Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:28 am

Fire it up tonight in the dark and see if you can see any arcing. I remember Goldies car had a dodgy magnecor which looked fine from the outside.
Toad
Toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Toad Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:28 am

Oh, and don't panic!
Toad
Toad

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:21 am

Toad wrote:Fire it up tonight in the dark and see if you can see any arcing. I remember Goldies car had a dodgy magnecor which looked fine from the outside.
I'll give that a go. I've ordered some new Beru leads anyway, as the cracking of the silicon insulation can't be a good thing anyway.
Toad wrote:Oh, and don't panic!
Yeah, I know. It's just that it's our only car and we can't afford to be without it Embarassed
mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down