OddUnit
Engine Loom Cooltext403300291

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OddUnit
Engine Loom Cooltext403300291
OddUnit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine Loom

3 posters

Go down

Engine Loom Empty Engine Loom

Post by Jammin Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:53 am

I am looking at various aftermarket ECU's for my Corrado, currently the Emerald K3 seems to be my preferred choice.

Rather then just extend my OEM loom to suit the Emerald I would rather have a complete new loom made up, can anyone give a recommendation of a company to do this?

Obviously I want the correct specification of wire used to avoid any issues with resistance or shielding etc, I know a guy who is prepared to make up a loom for me but I would need to supply the wire and sensors. So any advice on what specification wire is used where and who can supply this would also be useful.

Cheers
Jammin
Jammin
.:Standard:.

Number of posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Engine Loom Empty Re: Engine Loom

Post by mrbeige Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:54 am

I've got a work colleague that might be interested in making a loom for you. We use Raychem wire here, that is exceptionally good (massive heat resistance and small gauge for even the heaviest loads), but he'd need a specification to work from. I'll have a word with him and see what we could do. We use what's called a 'loom spec' that you could possibly complete, that he could work from. As far as connectors etc is concerned we can get those as well, just as long as we know what sensors/type of connectors are used/required, it should all be good.
mrbeige
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:46 am

0.5mm for signal and 1mm for power. Overall screened twisted pair + ground for crank and cam sensors. i.e. Microphone cable!

I made my own loom and it's dead easy. Doing your own loom also ensures it's cut to the correct lengths and is a lot cheaper.

Wire guage also depends on the connector type. AMP superseal for example, you'll struggle with 1mm unless you're very careful when crimping the pins on.

kevhaywire
.:Stroked:.
.:Stroked:.

Number of posts : 605

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammin Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:10 am

Stu - have a word with your mate for me to see what kind of cost it would be? Also if you have one of those 'loom specs' id be interested to see what info he needs.

Kev - where did you buy the wire from that you used? I would like to have a go at doing a loom myself, I always put myself off, partly cos im colour blind (which is fun) and partly cos I want the car to work when its done and not short out and catch fire LOL.

I know that aftermarket ECU's need less wires, no knock sensors etc.. so in theory it shouldnt be too difficult once I get my head around it!
Jammin
Jammin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammin Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:30 am

Just to update this thread, I have been in contact with Dave Walker who will send out a flying loom for around £80 for the K3.

Me thinks I will be having a go myself Laughing
Jammin
Jammin

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:35 am

Cheap enough Wink
mrbeige
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down