OddUnit
Air filter back to back dyno comparision Cooltext403300291

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OddUnit
Air filter back to back dyno comparision Cooltext403300291
OddUnit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Air filter back to back dyno comparision

+2
dirtytorque
Flusted
6 posters

Go down

Air filter back to back dyno comparision Empty Air filter back to back dyno comparision

Post by Flusted Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:57 am

Not sure if youve read on other forums but Jezzag60 from rado forum has dyno'd his car with different filters and logged results

This is on his 2l 16v g60

Well..... as i had an empty workshop and some time to play with my corrado and the dyno i thought i'd see if i could do some testing to put the old which induction kit debate to bed.
If i'm honest and you were using your car as a daily driver i would go for a paper element filter every time..... that said, if your fastidious about your maintainence and you want maximum performance..... well i'll let the figures do the talking.
All tests were performed in sucession, i did 2 or 3 runs per filter set up and the numbers posted are the best result for each filter. That said my car on our dyno is always super consistent and is usually within 1-2bhp on each setup. (Less than 1% variation which aint bad really!!!)

Standard Airbox, still with snorkle inlet and a new paper filter: 277.1bhp/7026rpm 244.0lbft/4502rpm
Standard airbox, snorkle removed and box cut away above cc: 287.4bhp/6954rpm 249.7lbft/4496rpm
SWG Twin inlet lid, cut away box bottom: 293.0bhp/7015rpm 251.1lbft/4477rpm
Jabbasport Single large cone filter and heat shield: 297.4bhp/7211rpm 250.0lbft/4704rpm
SWG Twin cone kit with heat shild: 303.2bhp/7153rpm 255.5lbft/4957rpm

I did actually log the boost level during the run and there is a 1.5psi differece between first and last kit, just goes to show the charger like to have a good supply of air to draw from.

So, there you have it. No doubting cone filters can provide the performance edge but you would really need to keep on top of things keeping it really clean and well oiled. I have never liked the fact they seem to let a bit more crap through into the charger, but like i said, if well maintained you should be ok!

Another thing to bear in mind it that this is tested on a pretty extreme case. I'm running a 65mm toothed belt on the charger so the demand for air will be that much higher than on a smaller pulley. That said, a 10% gain is a 10% gain!
Flusted
Flusted
.:Cammed:.

Male Number of posts : 230

Back to top Go down

Air filter back to back dyno comparision Empty Re: Air filter back to back dyno comparision

Post by dirtytorque Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:36 am

yeah i saw that.

results really surprised me.
Surely the cone type filters are affected more by heat.
Looks like its the volume of air into the engine which is the decisive factor?!?!!
Interesting stuff.
dirtytorque
dirtytorque
.:Charged:.

Number of posts : 1101

Back to top Go down

Air filter back to back dyno comparision Empty Re: Air filter back to back dyno comparision

Post by jmc Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:39 am

The runs were done with the bonnet up so heat soak wouldn't be an issue here though. It really is a huge difference though, although it is pushing it higher up the rev range slightly. Would love to have seen this on an 8V G60 too.
jmc
jmc
.:Bored:.
.:Bored:.

Male Number of posts : 271

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:27 am

jmc wrote:The runs were done with the bonnet up so heat soak wouldn't be an issue here though. It really is a huge difference though, although it is pushing it higher up the rev range slightly. Would love to have seen this on an 8V G60 too.

true.

Fair play to him.He really is canning the grenade though.

65mm pulley,7k rpm.
Brave man.
dirtytorque
dirtytorque

Back to top Go down

Post by Toad Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:36 am

Does anyone know him?
Toad
Toad
.:Mod:.

Number of posts : 411

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:44 am

News just in from a scout who shall remain nameless. lol.
He has posted up his figures on vortex in the top 20 whp thread.

wheel figures are..

249whp 222.5lbft .
Good stuff.
I want to see a plot.
Smile
dirtytorque
dirtytorque

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:32 am

dirtytorque wrote:News just in from a scout who shall remain nameless. lol.
He has posted up his figures on vortex in the top 20 whp thread.

wheel figures are..

249whp 222.5lbft .
Good stuff.
I want to see a plot.
Smile

And the G60 went! BOOOOMMMMMM! Laughing Enter a Turbo! Surprised

ctwg60
.:Stroked:.

Number of posts : 770

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:25 am

jmc wrote:It really is a huge difference though, although it is pushing it higher up the rev range slightly.

Aye, the extra air flow affored by the aftermarket filters affects mainly the top end, especially as it's a 16V. I'm not sure the 8v G60 will yield such impressive results, but it would be worth a try none the less!

kevhaywire

Number of posts : 605

Back to top Go down

Post by Flusted Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:40 am

i did think the charger musnt like 7k lol
Flusted
Flusted

Male Number of posts : 230

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:54 pm

kevhaywire wrote:
jmc wrote:It really is a huge difference though, although it is pushing it higher up the rev range slightly.

Aye, the extra air flow affored by the aftermarket filters affects mainly the top end, especially as it's a 16V. I'm not sure the 8v G60 will yield such impressive results, but it would be worth a try none the less!

Yep agreed. I think he'll fit a turbo or rotrex soon as that appears to be the direction he is going with the G60 he has. Laughing

ctwg60

Number of posts : 770

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down