OddUnit

CTWG60 is back with a MX5 based Haynes Type Roadster (locost)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

CTWG60 is back with a MX5 based Haynes Type Roadster (locost)

Post by ctwg60 on Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:43 pm

My wife is going to kill me I just bought this!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And, as they say, SO IT BEGINS! Laughing

ctwg60
.:Stroked:.

Number of posts : 770

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CTWG60 is back with a MX5 based Haynes Type Roadster (locost)

Post by dirtytorque on Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:19 pm

Very Happy
dirtytorque
.:Charged:.

Number of posts : 1101

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire on Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:11 am

500 quid! Bargain Very Happy

kevhaywire

Number of posts : 605

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:54 am

This may sound crazy but it's the 90bhp version of the 1.6 engine.

Why have you bought a less powerful car Chris??? Gay

"Taken from the Mazda Workshop manual (12/94)

Engine
The purpose of the modification is to increase the low speed torque by changing the valve timing and compression ratio.
The following parts have been modified

The configuration of the camshafts have been modified
Valve timing
IVO 5* BTDC
IVC 40* ABDC
EVO 55* BBDC
EVC 5* ATDC

The configuration of the pistons have been modified
Compression Ratio - 9.0:1

Fuel & Emission Control System
According to the readoptaion of the B6 engine model, the following changes have been made.

Injection method has been changed from the two-group injection to the sequential injection.
IAC load correction has been added according to the addition of the rear window defroster signal input to the ECM.
IGF signal input to the ECM has been discontinued.
Signal names have been changed as follows. NE = SGT & G = SGC
Diagnostic trouble codes No. 01 have been discontinued.
Vehicle speed sensor input have been added.
In the exhaust system, the front pipe and the parts after it are the same as that of the BP engine model.
The heated oxygen sensor has been adopted and its instulation position has been changed.
The fuel tank capacity has been enlarged and the cruising range has been increased accordingly.
Features - Excellent drivability and improved engine performance due to Squential mulitport fuel injection"

So it has sequential injection and only a 9:1 CR. Smile

ctwg60

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yandards on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:15 am

Sounds like FI win to me.

Yandards
.:Cammed:.

Number of posts : 163

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:36 pm

Went to see the car tonight and make the deposit. Collecting it tomorrow. It smoked a bit till it warmed up but the thing hasn't move much at all in the last 2 years. brake disc and tyres seem good. No oil leaks, engine makes a very nice noise I thought! Garage nearly cleared out and welding practice underway! Suspect

ctwg60

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire on Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:25 am

Yeah it just needs to be driven! With that Stig Helmet on of course.

That motor sounds ripe for sticking a turbo on. Can you buy the BBR parts as a kit? Or are you going custom?

The BBR MX-5 in this month's Evo had a right stumpy little turbo manifold. You might have more room for a bigger one in a Caterham body!

kevhaywire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:46 am

The kits available (BEGI has a good range) are rather expensive for big numbers (200-300bhp) and are designed for the mazda engine bay but to keep down the cost and keep it interesting might have a go at welding up a stainless manifold myself if a cast one won't do the job. This engine is rumoured to not have oil squirters but if I melt a piston I can just swap in a '95- 1.6 auto bottom-end which does! Probably need to get a 1.8' LSD rear diff (stronger) but the gearbox can apparently take as much as 300bhp/lbft.

It's going to be very very very interesting! santa Feels like Christmas! I guess it's just in my blood now, I've abstained for a year, don't need a car of my own (other than the family Volvo V50) on a daily basis so it's just a perfect project for me.

Imagine a lightweight (500kg) car with 300bhp from a 1.6! Jesus I'm scared just typing that! Mmmm might add a full roll cage!! affraid

Last edited by ctwg60 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:52 am; edited 2 times in total

ctwg60

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:49 am

Links for BEGI Garret kits......

ctwg60

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:56 am

From the torquestats.com calculator

Power to Weight: 610 bhp/ton
0-60: 3.3
0-100: 7.6
60-100: 4.3
1/4 Mile ET: 11.43
1/4 Mile Terminal: 122
Dragstrip 1/4 Mile ET: 11.23
Dragstrip 1/4 Mile Terminal: 125

ctwg60

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yandards on Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:25 am

Crikey, you will struggle to put that load down!

I bet a full tank of fuel will make a large difference in your weight loading over the back wheels - bit like the old Capri Blue Circle mod kit Smile

Be nice to produce something more suited to your engine bay as kev has already said the MX5 kit is compromised to fit into the MX5 bay.

Yandards

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:06 am

A few thoughts:

Does the sequential injection really matter? will you be using OEM management? The CR is a nice touch though.

If you don't know how to weld (mentioned welding practice) I wouldn't start on stainless steel personally, especially an exhaust manifold. What welding will you be using? you can MIG S/S using steel wire I think, or of course TIG but that is $$$. Remember to purge the inside of the manifold with CO2 to keep the interior welds tidy.

I'm surprised that an auto block has squirters that a manual doesn't. Seems a bit odd. I think if you are finding that the chambers are getting so hot as to melt a piston, the squirters aren't exactly going to prevent that or help a huge amount. They work on the underside of the piston, and don't always reach the crown but that depends on engine. Maybe the MX is a good design there, but as you said your block doesn't have them. Might be worth checking if they're bolt on for yours, I doubt the manual block is THAT different that Mazda manufactured all the 1.6 blocks differently.

Sounds like a good little project, but I would research a lot more. If the box can take 300bhp do you really want to be running on the edge of that?

Torquestats sound....interesting?
boost panda
.:Bored:.

Number of posts : 307

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:13 am

Yandards wrote:Crikey, you will struggle to put that load down!

I bet a full tank of fuel will make a large difference in your weight loading over the back wheels - bit like the old Capri Blue Circle mod kit Smile

Be nice to produce something more suited to your engine bay as kev has already said the MX5 kit is compromised to fit into the MX5 bay.

MX5 1.6 engine is dinky, very compact and neat, hopefully there will be room for some sort of charge cooler or intercooler. Yes it will need some sort of weight or launch control to produce a good getaway, but all in the future, nice to talk about and look forward to which is half the fun I think.

Now I have got my welder working properly I'm really enjoying playing with it. Even repaired my old mans mobility-scooter rear shopping basket bracket (say that quickly) going to weld up a bigger one for him as a little project, then I'm going to adapt his old scooter into some sort of go-kart for the kids, that should be enough practice before I start on the chassis! Laughing

Picking up the mx5 tonight, can't wait! santa

ctwg60

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:41 am

Did a bit more digging on emissions testing for the year of engine and found this very help bit of information

“The lack of a catalytic converter is not an automatic fail in itself, but a vehicle may struggle to meet the required emission limits without one. Prior to 31 July 1992, a spark ignition engine is required to meet limits of CO<=3.5% and HC<=1200ppm. Between 1 August 1992 and 31July 1995, the limits will depend on whether or not the vehicle is listed in the current edition of the In Service Exhaust Emission Standards for Road Vehicles book ( currently the Ninth Edition) which all MOT stations are required to hold. If there is an exact match in this book for the vehicle ( regarding engine number/type, model, chassis no, etc. The exact requirements vary between manufacturers) then the vehicle will be tested to the limits in the book. If an exact match cannot be found, the vehicle will again need to meet limits of CO<=3.5% and HC<=1200ppm. I have looked up your particular model and engine and, as stated in your e-mail, this combination is not listed and therefore the vehicle would need to meet limits of CO<=3.5% and HC<=1200ppm. From 1 August 1995, the requirements again depend on whether or not the vehicle is listed in the Emissions book. As your particular combination is not listed, vehicles of this age would need to be tested to the following limits: Minimum oil temperature : 60C Idle (450 - 1500rpm) CO<=4.5% Fast Idle (2500-3000rpm) CO<=0.3% HC<=200ppm Lambda= 0.97 to 1.03 There is one possible exemption to the above requirements. If the customer can provide a letter from the manufacturer, quoting the chassis number and engine number of the vehicle, stating that the engine as originally installed could not meet the relevant UK emissions limits. In this case, the vehicle can be tested to the next lowest limit.”

Guess I'll only be needing to pass the CO<=3.5% and HC<=1200ppm as the car is may '95 registered. So passing that without a CAT should be a doddle!

ctwg60

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yandards on Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:50 am

If you get a car running digifant through it then it should be very easy indeed!

Yandards

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:46 pm

OK car home, can't sleep, managed to pop the main 80amp fuse whilst attaching a battery to the car so had to be properly towed for 20 miles which was not much fun as the light faded.

I like....

I don't like...

ctwg60

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque on Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:43 pm

ah well wouldn't be a proper car if you managed to drive it all the way home lol.
Time for some short circuit hunting eliminating circuits if poss.
80 amps lol
Be careful. Smile geek

Re the welding.
If you can weld mild steel stainless isn't too much more differcult with the right setup.Welding pipe works if tricky though.Personally I would tack it up yourself and then get a pro to finish off.As stated they should have a rig to properly back purge the pipe to get good welds.
dirtytorque

Number of posts : 1101

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire on Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:12 am

BEGI make some really sweet stuff. I had one of their fuel risers and the quality was amazing.

610hp / tonne Laughing

If you can get a Garrett small enough to be on full boost by 3500, spooling by ~2500ish and holding boost to 7000, it will feel absolutely ballistic!!

kevhaywire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:51 am

It's so nice to be back talking about cars and the like, didn't realise how much I missed it. My brain is entertained once more!

Diaged the short circuit in about an hour which I was impressed with. The seller flicked up the lights before he started the engine. One of the headlight motors had lots of corrosion in the plug causing a short circuit, so it was not the battery at all. Can't understand how the headlights were fully up and shorted and instead of blowing the BTN (Body/Tail/iNterior) fuse it blew the main fuse. Testing for resistance at the battery terminals indicated a short circuit even with the main fuse popped, unplugging the BTN fuse removed this shorted circuit, but why didn't the BTN fuse blow too when the battery was attached?? scratch

EDIT: The above read terribly I've corrected it best I can. scratch

ctwg60

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yandards on Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:56 am

ctwg60 wrote:It's so nice to be back talking about cars and the like, didn't realise how much I missed it. My brain is entertained once more!

Diaged the short circuit in about an hour which I was impressed with. The seller flicked up the lights before he started the engine. One of the headlight motors had lots of corrosion in the plug causing a short circuit, so it was not the battery at all. Can't understand how the headlights were fully up and shorted and instead of blowing the BTN (Body/Tail/iNterior) fuse it blew the main fuse. Testing for resistance at the battery terminals indicated a short circuit even with the main fuse popped, unplugging the BTN fuse removed this shorted circuit, but why didn't the BTN fuse blow too when the battery was attached?? scratch

EDIT: The above read terribly I've corrected it best I can. scratch

Does the headlight run a negative earth through the chassis?

That is about the only way I can see the headlamp blowing the main fuse.

Yandards

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:14 am

Yeah I'm not sure but all the shorts are gone now so I just ordered two main fuses just in case, be here Friday. As for the engine the engine code starts with B6 which suggest it's actually the more powerful early engine so 9.4:1 CR and squirters I think this engine is a Naturally Aspirated Version of the turbo charged 323GTX engine. swings and round-about swings and round-abouts. So much conflicting info on the web on these cars engines scratch

ctwg60

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:04 pm

I'm reading a book about the design/development of the MX5, weight was a massive deal, people were threatened if weight wasn't kept to a minimum. They even lightened the crank and flywheel compared to the 323 transverse engine it was based on allowing to rev to 7200rpm.

The Donor is a 1.6 1995 model but it isn't the later tweaked 90 bhp engine that was not available to buy till Nov 1995 and had a steel sump. Mines a May 1995 and has a B6 engine code. So if anyones looking to buy a 1995 mx5 donor check the engine code is the correct for the one your after and seeing as the emission test was tightened up for cars after August 1995 you may want to play safe with the earlier engine. The 90bhp engine code starts with BP. Had another nose under the engine bay today just before dark, the rad fan is only half the size of the radiator and looks like it will be suitable for the roadster if it can be made to attach to the polo radiator I'll be using.

Signed up to mx5oc forum to get a seller thread going when I'm ready to break the car down.

Need to get the garage sorted first and get some welding practice in before building the build table. Took some measurement and if I keep the garage clear I should be able to keep the whole car in the garage when finished along with other essential garage belongings. I may need to sort a shed at some point though for the gardening tools. I digress...

Repeating myself I know, that is all goodnight.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

ctwg60

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:41 am

Just checked the gearing of the mazda and even though it uses higher revs has less power to weight and different wheels and tyres than the Corrado G60 final results are fairly close to the box I created for the for the C! Infact it's closer to the later VR6 boxes which had similiar power to weight! Mmm interesting!

Gearbox:- ASD 1.9L D+ AYK 3+4 ratios
Tyre:- Michelin all patterns 205/50 x 15
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Top Gear gives 29.779 MPH/1000 RPM and a top speed of 184.632 MPH at 6200 RPM

Engine speeds in top gear:-
30 MPH = 1007 RPM 40 MPH = 1343 RPM 50 MPH = 1679 RPM 60 MPH = 2015 RPM
70 MPH = 2351 RPM 80 MPH = 2686 RPM 90 MPH = 3022 RPM 100 MPH = 3358 RPM

Top Speed in 1 gear = 40.138 MPH
And changes into 2 gear at 3653 RPM dropping 2547 RPM
Top Speed in 2 gear = 68.121 MPH
And changes into 3 gear at 4557 RPM dropping 1643 RPM
Top Speed in 3 gear = 92.691 MPH
And changes into 4 gear at 4465 RPM dropping 1735 RPM
Top Speed in 4 gear = 128.722 MPH
And changes into 5 gear at 4323 RPM dropping 1877 RPM
Top Speed in 5 gear = 184.632 MPH

Gearbox:- MX5
Tyre:- 14X185X85
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Top Gear gives 22.423 MPH/1000 RPM and a top speed of 152.478 MPH at 6800 RPM

Engine speeds in top gear:-
30 MPH = 1338 RPM 40 MPH = 1784 RPM 50 MPH = 2230 RPM 60 MPH = 2676 RPM
70 MPH = 3122 RPM 80 MPH = 3568 RPM 90 MPH = 4014 RPM 100 MPH = 4460 RPM

Top Speed in 1 gear = 37.430 MPH
And changes into 2 gear at 3872 RPM dropping 2928 RPM
Top Speed in 2 gear = 65.740 MPH
And changes into 3 gear at 4790 RPM dropping 2010 RPM
Top Speed in 3 gear = 93.321 MPH
And changes into 4 gear at 5113 RPM dropping 1687 RPM
Top Speed in 4 gear = 124.117 MPH
And changes into 5 gear at 5535 RPM dropping 1265 RPM
Top Speed in 5 gear = 152.478 MPH

ctwg60

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda on Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:49 am

wow MX5 has balloon tyres! R14 185/85 profile?
boost panda

Number of posts : 307

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire on Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:41 am

ctwg60 wrote:It's so nice to be back talking about cars and the like, didn't realise how much I missed it. My brain is entertained once more!

I don't think you ever lose the love for this sort of thing! I can't ever see myself buying a conventional car and being content with it!

I'm impressed with your speed! It seems like only the other day you talked about getting an MX5 and now you have one and already fixing it and planning the next stages! I like it Cool

kevhaywire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next