OddUnit
Spark plugs - hopefully a simple question... Cooltext403300291

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OddUnit
Spark plugs - hopefully a simple question... Cooltext403300291
OddUnit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spark plugs - hopefully a simple question...

3 posters

Go down

Spark plugs - hopefully a simple question... Empty Spark plugs - hopefully a simple question...

Post by jmc Tue May 05, 2009 8:31 am

I recently got some W5DPO's for my G60, having found out that it still have W6's in despite all the work that had ben done (coupled with the fact that they have done 40k miles now so probably need a change). Looking at them, the tips of 3 look exactly the same, and one looks very slightly different from the other 3. I'm talking fractions of a mm here, but even so it is different. What I'm wondering here is, given how the spark characteristics are very dependant on the geometry of the tip, how similar do all 4 need to be?

I know this is useless without a pic so I'll post one up later. Hopefully this is me worrying about nothing, but I'd appreciate any thoughts.
jmc
jmc
.:Bored:.

Male Number of posts : 271

Back to top Go down

Spark plugs - hopefully a simple question... Empty Re: Spark plugs - hopefully a simple question...

Post by kevhaywire Wed May 06, 2009 3:20 am

I've never had any problems with things like that on my engine, but I don't know how fussy G60s are with plugs. It's not uncommon to get 1 plug from a different batch that's very slightly different mixed in with a set of 4 though, happens all the time with the cheapy NGKs I use.

kevhaywire
.:Stroked:.

Number of posts : 605

Back to top Go down

Spark plugs - hopefully a simple question... Empty Re: Spark plugs - hopefully a simple question...

Post by jmc Wed May 06, 2009 2:49 pm

Ok cheers Kev, thats good to know. I still haven't got the picture done - not had much time here for a couple of days.
jmc
jmc

Back to top Go down

Post by jmc Thu May 07, 2009 11:16 am

Here you go....Pics....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Most of them look like this. But....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
One looks like this.

Difference on how the side electrode is positioned relative to the central one. I presume I am worrying about nothing here?
jmc
jmc

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Fri May 08, 2009 6:27 am

Yep, nothing to worry about at all there mate.

My Audi RS plugs (F5DPOR) looked exactly like that and they came from an Audi dealer!

I don't know about yours but the ground strap appears to be welded on on mine, so might explain the slight differences (and price as it's an extra build process!)

kevhaywire

Number of posts : 605

Back to top Go down

Post by jmc Sun May 10, 2009 9:48 am

Great, thanks Kev. Nice to be worrying about nothing for a change Very Happy. I think you're right about the welded earth on it - mine look like they are too.
jmc
jmc

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda Thu May 14, 2009 2:58 pm

I guess the larger air gap would increase the capacitance of the centre electrode and therefore require a proportionally larger amount of electrical energy / current for the spark to bridge the two contacts?
boost panda
boost panda

Number of posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post by jmc Thu May 14, 2009 8:08 pm

Also the greater the distance, the harder to break down the air, and create the spark (more a question of conductance than capacitance I think). However (fingers crossed) that effect will be small and there is adequate voltage the cause breakdown. If it works on one and not the other then I do have a problem to look at Laughing
jmc
jmc

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda Fri May 15, 2009 12:44 am

cool Very Happy good luck with it mate! I'm not great on the electrical side of stuff.
boost panda
boost panda

Number of posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down