OddUnit
Spark plugs - damp and smelling of fuel.... Cooltext403300291

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OddUnit
Spark plugs - damp and smelling of fuel.... Cooltext403300291
OddUnit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spark plugs - damp and smelling of fuel....

3 posters

Go down

Spark plugs - damp and smelling of fuel.... Empty Spark plugs - damp and smelling of fuel....

Post by jmc Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:08 am

Just whipped my plugs out to have a look. 2 are fine and dry, but 2 were slightly dampy and smelling of fuel. Now I am assuming this is not particularly good, but I've not noticed any change in performance and the car is not feeling any different. Any thoughts as to what could be causing this folks?

Last edited by jmc on Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
jmc
jmc
.:Bored:.

Male Number of posts : 271

Back to top Go down

Spark plugs - damp and smelling of fuel.... Empty Re: Spark plugs - damp and smelling of fuel....

Post by ctwg60 Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:54 am

Which two?

ctwg60
.:Stroked:.

Number of posts : 770

Back to top Go down

Spark plugs - damp and smelling of fuel.... Empty Re: Spark plugs - damp and smelling of fuel....

Post by jmc Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:02 am

ctwg60 wrote:Which two?

The ones towards the right of the block as you look at it from the front (either side of the blue temp sender).
jmc
jmc

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:09 am

You could try swapping plugs and or injectors with the good cylinders see if the problem moves to a known good cylinder. Could be a weak spark or leaky/faulty injectors. Strange it's on two cylinders that the plugs are getting wet.

ctwg60

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:05 am

Ahh, your plugs in those cylinders could be running too cold. If your running W5PD0 plugs try going back to 6's!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

ctwg60

Back to top Go down

Post by jmc Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:02 am

Thanks for the advice. Oddly enough they were my old W6 ones anyway. I'll try swapping them round and see what happens. Injectors are only 18months old, so I'm hoping it's not that. AFAIK the leads have not been changed (definately not in the 5 years I've had it). I think a spark checker is needed as well for this then... Anything specific I should look for with one, or are they all pretty much the same?
jmc
jmc

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:56 am

Well I don't know what you've changed but I'd get a new bosch coil if you don't know it's age, new leads, distributor cap and rotor arm. And fit the W5DP0. You will have then eliminated any high tension electrical fault on the car. I'd be surprised if the new plugs foul as the injectors would be unlikely. Also just to be sure get a new injector loom. I replaced all of the above when I changed my engine to the new cos I really hate little gremlins! Bang head 2

Thinking of remaking the current loom before it causes me issues. Keep me busy over the next month while my ruptured knee and broke finger sorts itself out! Bang head

ctwg60

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:28 am

ctwg60 wrote:
Thinking of remaking the current loom before it causes me issues. Keep me busy over the next month while my ruptured knee and broke finger sorts itself out! Bang head
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
dirtytorque
dirtytorque
.:Charged:.

Number of posts : 1101

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:32 am

Not quite Rob although I was all over his head I landed on my feet but then he knock me over and ran over me. Suspect

ctwg60

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:42 am

thats what you get for traveling around on a bio fuel vehicle.
Sorry for thread hijack J.

wet plugs suggest incmplete combustion.
I'd say spark related if they are wet immediately after engine has been running.
dirtytorque
dirtytorque

Number of posts : 1101

Back to top Go down

Post by jmc Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:31 am

Cool, that definately points to spark then. Time to get a spark tester I think..

Oh, and not to worry about the thread hijack Wink
jmc
jmc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down