OddUnit
What Inlet manifold to use on 16v g60 Cooltext403300291

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OddUnit
What Inlet manifold to use on 16v g60 Cooltext403300291
OddUnit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Inlet manifold to use on 16v g60

4 posters

Go down

What Inlet manifold to use on 16v g60 Empty What Inlet manifold to use on 16v g60

Post by Flusted Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:49 am

I cant decide which will be best for torque and mid range?

I have a 42mm scirocco
a 50mm 16v g60 (fitted at the moment)
OR short runner?

Doesnt short runner ruin you low down off boost power?
Flusted
Flusted
.:Cammed:.

Male Number of posts : 230

Back to top Go down

What Inlet manifold to use on 16v g60 Empty Re: What Inlet manifold to use on 16v g60

Post by boost panda Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:03 am

Seeing as you're talking about a supercharged engine, the short runner won't be as gutless bottom end as it would be on a turbo (i.e. no lag on the G60) so you might be able to get away with that.

As with n/a, the 42mm will limit your top end power but not by a great deal. Does the 50mm inlet feel a little gutless at the mo? I'd like to think that the gains and losses would be similar to n/a when using a supercharger, only that the increased intake pressure throughout the rev range would act as an amplifier ( so maybe less gutless bottom end but more choked at the top end with a small diameter runner?)

Do G60s ever go off boost? Embarassed I thought they made even a few psi at idle.

Those are my ideas, and definitely not 100% correct but good food for thought I hope.
boost panda
boost panda
.:Bored:.

Number of posts : 307

Back to top Go down

What Inlet manifold to use on 16v g60 Empty Re: What Inlet manifold to use on 16v g60

Post by dirtytorque Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:06 am

One thing I noticed looking at my MS logs is that Boost builds up early in g60's.
specially with smaLl pulleys.
dirtytorque
dirtytorque
.:Charged:.

Number of posts : 1101

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:07 am

Flusted wrote:I cant decide which will be best for torque and mid range?

I have a 42mm scirocco
a 50mm 16v g60 (fitted at the moment)
OR short runner?

Doesnt short runner ruin you low down off boost power?
I shouldn't think a short runner has the same impact on a supercharged engine as it does on a N/A engine.You wont really be off boost as the supercharger is always running. The length and diameter of the runners only really make any difference when not forcing the air in, so I shouldn't think it makes a huge difference which of the two 'normal' 16v manifolds you go for. If it were me, I'd be going short runner inlet. Should give you better throttle response and shorter pipe work....but don't have too tight a turn in those pipes....

[EDIT] Beaten too it....twice Laughing
mrbeige
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Flusted Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:12 am

Yes but the g60 throttle boost bypass is open until you floor it so you wont get any boost.
I notice with mine, driving round town, boost return hissing away until past half throttle when the engine starts seeing boost then it picks up.

The vwm 16vg60 had a 50mm but i guess they were going for big numbers?.

So i guess what im saying, my engine doesnt see positive boost pressure until about 3.5k and its pretty flat under that so a short runner wouldnt improve that?

On N/A the torque used to feel like it came in at 3.5k with 42mm, and with the 50mm was more like 5k
Flusted
Flusted

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:26 am

Is there anything you can do to increase the boost below 3.5k? Seems counter productive to me, to be throwing away all that boost below 3.5k, I thought the whole point of a supercharger was to have it working from really low revs...

Do you have a scirocco manifold you can just try out instead of he one you have currently? Bum dyno is the way forward...
mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:08 am

I would think with the G60 Limiteds that the head honchos said they weren't allowed to design a short runner JUST for a special edition, so they just wanged all the G lader pipes onto the 16v and obviously did all the alternator brackets and whatnot, and just tuned it up.

Also if you've got all the manifolds already, surely all you'll need to do is swap them out one by one and see which one is best? Should only cost some spare gaskets maybe? Oh, unless you're stil running the K-jet injectors which sit in the manifold.

Hmm, maybe ignore that second paragraph! :crazy:
boost panda
boost panda

Number of posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post by Flusted Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:48 am

The 50mm on the g60 limited was a 1 off, as the tb is on the opposite side.

You can adjust the boost linkage to shut earlier which ive done already, but you dont want the charger boosting against a near shut butterfly.
Its exactly the same principle for the standard 8v g60.
Maybe the engine does get some boost even though the butterfly is part open and not fully pressurized but my boost gauge just goes from vacuum to 0 psi boost until return butterfly is vertually closed
Flusted
Flusted

Back to top Go down

Post by Flusted Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:28 am

anymore thoughts? looked on vortex and a majority of the 16vts use short runner?
Flusted
Flusted

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:56 am

Have you tried both manifolds you've got yet?

Short runner all the way for me. I'd imagine that VW used the Scirocco one as it was straight out of the parts bin at the time....
mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:19 am

mrbeige wrote:Have you tried both manifolds you've got yet?

Short runner all the way for me. I'd imagine that VW used the Scirocco one as it was straight out of the parts bin at the time....
/\

yup.
dirtytorque
dirtytorque

Number of posts : 1101

Back to top Go down

Post by Flusted Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:24 am

nah like i was sayin, the limiteds used a 50mm long runner especially for that model only
Flusted
Flusted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down