OddUnit

1999.5 spec US VR6 inlet manifold.

Go down

1999.5 spec US VR6 inlet manifold.

Post by Toad on Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:51 pm

Afternoon.

As far as I know the late US VR6s got a plastic inlet manifold with variable geometry, much like the R32s and 24Vs. Now, this should be retrofittable to the older VRs, I assume they just need an adaptor for the throttle body, and a little bit of piping making up?

Does anyone know anything about these? Do they suffer from the same flap fatigue and engine ingestion issues that the BMWs do?
Toad
.:Mod:.

Number of posts : 411

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1999.5 spec US VR6 inlet manifold.

Post by mrbeige on Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:28 am

Would this only work properly with OBD2? I'd imagine that plumbing in the ISV may be a little trickier than using an OBD2 throttle with integral idle stabilisation??

£300 Corrado 1.8 16v
The good lady wife's Golf VR
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

View user profile http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire on Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:39 am

You need the throttle (which is DBW), ECU, loom, intake, rocker cover, Air box, MAF, intake hose and intake mouldings (cable tidies etc).

Not worth the hassle or expense for an engine that will pull well below 4000rpm, but feel flat as schitt past 4K.

Gruvenparts do an uprated part for the fatiguing flap bearing.

kevhaywire
.:Stroked:.

Number of posts : 605

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Toad on Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:21 pm

I did think about the ISV as it's OBD1. I was thinking that I could make an adaptor plate up with a plumbing for the ISV.

I've contacted the seller and he wants £170+ postage, which after all the buggering around will probably cost me the same as a second hand Shrick, and might not work. Is it worth the risk/hassle for something that admitedly would be nice and OEM, and be quite rare?

Plus it might not fit under the bonnet.

Kev, cheers for your thoughts and the tip about Gruvenparts. Was going to try to engineer it to use my existing OBD1 setup. I'm an old man, and do tend to keep the revs low. After the Gashtra estate I have for work this week, the corrado will feel amazing!
Toad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire on Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:52 am

Here's what the full US spec 12V stuff looks like mate - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Personally, if I was going to do it I would get the whole lot and make it all OE. How many factory VGI 12V Corrados in the UK? None, or just the one if you go for it Very Happy I'm sure someone like Schimmel has all that kit lying around his workshop from customers who've gone turbo? Probably worth peanuts to them. Get it fedexed over and you're laughing.

Stealth could deimmobilise the ECU and map it for higher octane UK fuel etc etc and job's a good un!

Quite tempted to get a ropey old VR6 and do this myself as a daily run around!

kevhaywire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Toad on Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:06 pm

Awesome, looks quite good.

Don't think the kit comes with a rocker cover, and I wonder if it will fit with a standard rocker cover?

Does Mr Schimmel respond to emails? Might see how much he would want for a second hand kit sent over. Otherwise I am going to pop up to Norfolk and have a look at the ebay manifold. Think I'm going to give it a go. Smile
Toad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque on Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:21 pm

Very Happy
Great.Cool
dirtytorque
.:Charged:.
.:Charged:.

Number of posts : 1101

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire on Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:10 am

Bill does respond to emails - eventually Very Happy

Probably worth having a look at the one in Norfolk first and seeing it could be fudged on OK and then if you need more parts, we can source from the good old US of A!

Keep us posted. Seems a good mod to me!

I reckon a 2.8 24V intake would work aswell if the head flanges could be changed easily. Know anyone who can plastic weld?!

kevhaywire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down