OddUnit
Maximising traction in FWD applications - Page 2 Cooltext403300291

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OddUnit
Maximising traction in FWD applications - Page 2 Cooltext403300291
OddUnit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maximising traction in FWD applications

+8
James H
SensibleDave
mic_VR
dirtytorque
junkie
saysomestuff
mrbeige
kevhaywire
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Maximising traction in FWD applications - Page 2 Empty Re: Maximising traction in FWD applications

Post by mrbeige Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:11 pm

Toad wrote:Out of interest, with lots of power, and lots of traction, what can be done to stregnthen components like wishbones and subframe mounting points?

I know stuff can be seam welded, but is that enough?
Will, that not also aid traction too?
mrbeige
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Maximising traction in FWD applications - Page 2 Empty Re: Maximising traction in FWD applications

Post by James H Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:54 pm

I partially welded my wishbones and haven't had any issues. Even though most Mk 2's dont have the 2 extra rear bolts that corrados have i haven't had any subframe issues. Even after 4 years of dragging it on slicks! Laughing Amazing really.
James H
James H
.:Standard:.

Number of posts : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:27 am

I think VR6 wishbones are already seam welded? Can't tell for all the rust on them Laughing

I've seam welded my subframe though, along the seams under the steering rack and I also seam welded both rear engine mount cups as I've heard stories of them shearing off. I say "I" welded, but read that as Vince at stealth did, LOL! It's the kind of stuff he used to do when prepping the Vento cup challenge cars.

kevhaywire
.:Stroked:.

Number of posts : 605

Back to top Go down

Post by Toad Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:22 pm

Gonna throw new wishbones into my car, and whip the subframes out for a bit of shotblasting and repainting action, so I might take the opportunity to stiffen/repair any bits before filing any cavities with waxoyl.
Toad
Toad
.:Mod:.

Number of posts : 411

Back to top Go down

Post by jmc Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:09 am

I'm using a Peloquin in my hybrid G60/VR6 box, and so far, it has proved reliable and predictable in its handling (yet to try it on ice though). Great little mod even if running standard engine setups, and really does improve handling Smile
jmc
jmc
.:Bored:.
.:Bored:.

Male Number of posts : 271

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:20 am

A friend of mine has just fitted a 20vT conversion to his mk2 golf,with a peloquin LSD.
He is alarmed at the amount of torque steer when the tyres bite.
He said that it is totally unpredictable too.Sometimes it will hook up and he'll go forward as planned,but others times he might shoot left or right.
He said it is fun but a bit disconcerting.
I imagine that will get old quite quickly.
His brother runs a similar engine setup but his wheels just spin when trying to launch to hard as he dosn't have an LSD.
Is this typical of peoples experiences with LSD technology or is he just stamping the pedal too hard?Very Happy
dirtytorque
dirtytorque
.:Charged:.

Number of posts : 1101

Back to top Go down

Post by James H Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:01 am

Has he had the front end geometry set up?
How much power and what wheels/tyres is he running?
James H
James H

Number of posts : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:25 am

All I know is that the tuner advertised the engine work at aprox 270 bhp,so in this ball park.
He didn't know how much torque he was running.

He's running 195/40/16's i think,not sure what make.
I'll try and find out a bit more,in regards to the geometry etc.
dirtytorque
dirtytorque

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:50 am

dirtytorque wrote:He is alarmed at the amount of torque steer when the tyres bite.
He said that it is totally unpredictable too.Sometimes it will hook up and he'll go forward as planned,but others times he might shoot left or right.
Is this typical of peoples experiences with LSD technology or is he just stamping the pedal too hard?Very Happy

Does it do it on dead flat roads?

Mine's like that if I nail it on rough, uneven country roads. The car tends to naturally pull in the direction of the road slope, but the diff makes it worse.

Worn top mounts can cause that to an extent and geometry that's not quite right.

kevhaywire

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:16 am

/\/\/\

i'll speak to him at the weekend.
Its interesting to here peoples real world experiences with this technology,as previously all I have heard are the benefits of LSD's n the like.
dirtytorque
dirtytorque

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:05 am

Yep, people only ever mention the good things on forums Very Happy

kevhaywire

Back to top Go down

Post by VEEDUBBED Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:08 am

I personally fitted a Peloquin diff. and am very satisfied
with it,yeah every now and then you get the odd twitch.
I'll do a DIY write-up on the actual installation when i've got
5mins.

VEEDUBBED
.:Cammed:.
.:Cammed:.

Number of posts : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:29 am

VEEDUBBED wrote:I'll do a DIY write-up on the actual installation when i've got 5mins.
That would be good mate Smile
mrbeige
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KipVR Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:21 pm

Whistle Very Happy
KipVR
KipVR

Number of posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2