OddUnit
Traction control Cooltext403300291

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OddUnit
Traction control Cooltext403300291
OddUnit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Traction control

3 posters

Go down

Traction control Empty Traction control

Post by mrbeige Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:10 pm

Ok, so prompted by a thread on another forum....what say you to traction control? What's required? ABS sensors? VR or Hall type? Would you want to cut spark or fuel, or both? I did wonder how it is achieved in modern cars, but I suspect it is more along the lines of closing the electronic throttle, rather than fuel or spark?? I guess with the likes of aftermarket engine ECUs, you could configure one of the digital inputs to take a signal from a.n.other 'traction control' ECU. I wondered how complex a traction control strategy would need to be. Obviously taking into consideration that the wheel speeds will differ, when going round corners, but could you circumvent that by comparing front to rear on each side rather than left to right. Could it be done for less than the Racelogic kit, priced at £535 for the basic setup? I guess that's still cheaper than an LSD or such like....
mrbeige
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Traction control Empty Re: Traction control

Post by Yandards Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:56 am

Have a read up on Adaptronic ECU's they will do various forms of traction control using exising ABS etc.

It is a system I am very interested in trying, especially on the project car once it's up and running properly.

I think 'proper' control over a FI including idle stab and water injection depending on boost pressure is way better than the like of Emerald for similar money. The add on box that lets you put all the gauge readings on an in car monitor is a nice touch and one I could use given my sat nav config.

Yandards
.:Cammed:.
.:Cammed:.

Number of posts : 163

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:10 am

mrbeige wrote:Ok, so prompted by a thread on another forum....what say you to traction control? What's required? ABS sensors? VR or Hall type? Would you want to cut spark or fuel, or both? I did wonder how it is achieved in modern cars, but I suspect it is more along the lines of closing the electronic throttle, rather than fuel or spark?? I guess with the likes of aftermarket engine ECUs, you could configure one of the digital inputs to take a signal from a.n.other 'traction control' ECU. I wondered how complex a traction control strategy would need to be. Obviously taking into consideration that the wheel speeds will differ, when going round corners, but could you circumvent that by comparing front to rear on each side rather than left to right. Could it be done for less than the Racelogic kit, priced at £535 for the basic setup? I guess that's still cheaper than an LSD or such like....

Yeah modern cars usually retard the ignition + Throttle closure, then ABS. Or if it's a diesel, fuel cut then ABS as they don't have throttles.

I wouldn't have thought spark cut is a good idea due to cat converters and bore wash?

It can be done cheaper than the RaceLogic if you already have a standalone, but I prefer to use the factory ABS sensors as they're not prone to noise problems like digital sensors are. My DTA only supports digital sensors for wheel speed, so I'd rather not use it. If I have to cough up money on 4 hall sensors, brackets and looms and setup etc etc, I may aswell just buy the Racelogic.

I have yet to hear a bad word said about the RL system from enthusiastic drivers Cool

kevhaywire
.:Stroked:.

Number of posts : 605

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:58 am

What do you mean when you say digital sensors? Hall type? If so, could you not just convert the VR signals from the ABS sensors on the Corrado to Hall type? We've (Pi) have just added the aditional circuitry to one of our ECUs to convert the VR type crank sensor on a diesel engine to the Hall effect typoe signal. Took a bit of faffing to get the component values right, but fairly straightforward.
mrbeige
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:28 am

Yeah Digitial, Hall, same thing.

You can convert a VR signal to Hall but as you say, it's faffing about and people who have used a conversion circuit say the low speed resolution is very poor and suffers from noise problems.

This is why OEMs *still* use VR sensors for wheel speed, and with gold plated pins on the plugs. They don't suffer with noise, they're cheaper, easier and more reliable Very Happy

I just wouldn't have faith in converting a signal. It's an extra link in the chain to cause potential problems.

kevhaywire

Number of posts : 605

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down