OddUnit
20v Turbo generic remaps Cooltext403300291

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OddUnit
20v Turbo generic remaps Cooltext403300291
OddUnit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

20v Turbo generic remaps

5 posters

Go down

20v Turbo generic remaps Empty 20v Turbo generic remaps

Post by mrbeige Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:18 am

I know people do do them, but can anyone confirm that it is only the N75 boost control valve that gets 'remapped'? They don't do anything to ignition tables or anything like that do they? And the remap of the boost allows the ECU you to measure the increase in air flow via the MAF and compensate with additional fuel?
mrbeige
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

20v Turbo generic remaps Empty Re: 20v Turbo generic remaps

Post by JNLRacing Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:29 am

I've seen various different maps about for different cars. But the long and short of it some generic maps are like you describe.

JNLRacing
.:Cammed:.

Number of posts : 205

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:36 pm

Im looking to get the TT mapped 180 ARY, who can you recommend JP?
junkie
junkie
.:Bored:.

Male Number of posts : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:37 pm

I was looking at JBS as they are close to me but then he used the word spike in the sentence we spike the turbo to 1.4bar then tail it off to 1.1bar?

Is it ok to do that, i thought boost spikes were bad?
junkie
junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:38 pm

Also i hear alot about upgrading to the N75J valve???
junkie
junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:16 am

Yup, had confirmation last night about upgrading to the N75J valve makes quite a difference to early 1.8Ts, apparently gaining you 2-3psi boost Smile

Si, you may want to hold fire on the remap, as I've got a 'new' JSB Racing product in the pipeline, that will do exactly what a generic remap will do, but with a little bit of user control Smile
mrbeige
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:55 am

You can't gain more boost from the valve itself, that's controlled by the software. If you install the valve and do nothing else, and get more boost as a result, that's a sure sign it's not being controlled correctly and will inevitably mean the boost delivery will feel surgey as the ECU struggles to control it.

I wouldn't read too much into the N75J. It's best to stick with the valve the car came with imo and the boost delivery will be more consistent.
The J isn't about more boost, but more accurate boost, where the ECU has been configured for it accordingly.

I don't like electronic boost controllers of any form. They are very rarely consistent, but it's a cheap and easy way to "remap" a turbo engine.

You can do your own tweaking with Lemmiwinks via the OBD2 port.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

In the first instance, I would try a Revo free trial map, they have a smooth map and an aggressive one, try both, just to see if it's the kind of thing you want.

The aggressive map would be JBS's "spiking", and a smooth map would be spike free.

Spiking isn't bad per se, it is after all what gives you that turbo "kick". It's inappropriate spiking that is bad. E.g. spiking that over spins the turbo and / or wrecks the gearbox. 1.4 bar on the K03S is border line over spinning it.

Personally I would skip all of the usual 1.8T tweaks and jump straight to the GT28RS Very Happy You'll make more power from that at the stock boost pressure than you would with the standard turbo running flat out.....and it will hold the boost to 7K.....among other benefits.

kevhaywire
.:Stroked:.

Number of posts : 605

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:50 am

mmmm, disco potatoes I love you that is one fine compressor-turbine combo.

I can't find the link to show you the efficiency map of it, but suffice it to say it looks like a potato.
boost panda
boost panda

Number of posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:02 pm

Sounds interesting Stu keep me informed. Infact PM me a little teaser lol.

Kev i just think they could term it better than spike the boost, may sound good to some people but not me, i thought it would be as you said and yes it is better to skip to the bigger turbo upgrade but that will be happening when the Mrs gets a new car in 3-5 years and then im going for big big power TT with comfort option, the Corrado is now the full on hardcore beast.
junkie
junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:11 pm

Oh and i am @ santa pod end of the month in the TT so you have a week and half to sort it so i can do some pod testing before and after runs for you lol.
junkie
junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:41 am

Yeah "Spikes" conjures up images of 80s barry boys and their bleed valves, wringing the schitt out of their Renault 5 GT turbos Very Happy But all it means is a temporary 'over boost', or Scramble boost as the yanks like to call it. Well, actually scramble boost is a little more controlled as you can "spike" the boost to a chosen pressure and for a chosen amount of time. It's a bit like Mel Gibson hitting the nitrous button in Mad Max Very Happy

Ironically, the comment in that film "Last of the V8s mate...." isn't far from the truth now Crying or Very sad

A lot of OE turbo cars now come with "over boost" as standard....

Well with the TT you've got the strong transmission etc to take big turbos, so go for it! Plenty of things you can do to improve the steering and handling too. Jesus, I'm talking myself into buying one aswell now.....

Yes Mr Monkey, the Potato is indeed a mighty fine turbo for the 1.8T, although if it were me, I'd be tempted by the GT3071R for even more wallop Very Happy

kevhaywire

Number of posts : 605

Back to top Go down

Post by JNLRacing Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:55 am

GT3071R with 0.84 housing is good enough for 515hp wallop at 1.9bar and will require a mains girdle to stop the block from flexing Twisted Evil

JNLRacing

Number of posts : 205

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:23 am

Well the aim for me is going to be getting the car to cope with big power and driving right before any big power comes along.

And JP that sounds like the best route to go, awesome.
junkie
junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down