OddUnit
Kev's Corrado - Project "Stealthy T" Cooltext403300291

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OddUnit
Kev's Corrado - Project "Stealthy T" Cooltext403300291
OddUnit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kev's Corrado - Project "Stealthy T"

+10
jmc
Toad
ctwg60
CorradoVR6-Turbo
mrbeige
dirtytorque
junkie
mic_VR
saysomestuff
kevhaywire
14 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Kev's Corrado - Project "Stealthy T" Empty Kev's Corrado - Project "Stealthy T"

Post by kevhaywire Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:43 am

OK, so here's my little project as of October 08 Very Happy

Here's some outside shots....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

A couple of the interior....

Sparse but functional layout. We have a PLX Devices M300 Air/fuel meter in the stereo slot, oil and boost gauges below it, Fuel pressure above the fog switches and EGT under rev counter.

No stereo Very Happy

And a nice big 72AH battery between the seats.

And finally, the business end...

My plots from the Stealth Racing rolling road day, Dec 07. Running 11psi. Power plot is brake HP, but the measured wheel hp was 350.

Here's the spec 2 years into Project Stealthy Turboed Corrado:-

Engine room:-

- AAA Golf VR6 block bored to 83mm
- 83mm Wossner 8.5:1 forged pistons
- Stock con rods
- R32 oil pump
- R32 baffled sump
- Schimmel stage 1 head (US OBD2) +1mm oversize inconel valves, HD springs, titanium retainers, 3 angle valve cut, port matched inlet ports
- Schimmel 263 cams
- Schimmel air-water intercooler
- Garrett GT3582R turbo with 0.82 turbine housing
- Schimmel 8mm HT leads with intergral pull up handles
- Schimmel Short runner intake
- AEM 3.5 Bar MAP sensor
- Stock coilpack
- Tial 38mm wastegate
- Tial 50mm dump valve
- SPA turbo manifold
- Custom 3" downpipe
- Techtonics Tuning 2.5" exhaust system
- SX fuel regulator
- Cosworth intank fuel pump
- Delphi 440cc injectors
- DTA S80 ECU

Hull:-

- KW V3 coilovers
- Rota Force 8 x 17 alloys
- R32 rear wishbone bushes
- Stock rear axle bushes
- Seam welded subframe and rear engine mount cups
- MK2 Golf front cross member bushes
- Eurospec upper front tie bar
- Stock front ARB
- Eibach 25mm rear ARB
- MED eccentric top mounts
- AP Racing 330mm front brakes
- Eurospec 280mm rear brakes
- Pagid DS2500 pads all round
- Goodridge lines

Rudder:-

- Fixed steering column conversion
- Some kind of Momo steering wheel

Midships:-

- Stock cloth interior
- Battery relocated to arm rest
- 3 Gallon chargecooler tank and screen wash bottle in boot

There's more to come Laughing

- 9lb cromoly flywheel
- Gemini 6 speed gearset
- Driveshaft shop stage 3 axles
- ATP turbo manifold

etc etc

Apart from the rubbish SPA Turbo manifold (why the ATP one is going on), it's been pretty good. Used daily for 2 years, no major problems at all Cool

Last edited by kevhaywire on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

kevhaywire
.:Stroked:.

Number of posts : 605

Back to top Go down

Kev's Corrado - Project "Stealthy T" Empty Re: Kev's Corrado - Project "Stealthy T"

Post by saysomestuff Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:08 pm

looking good Kev, what sort of power's she kicking out now?

saysomestuff
.:Standard:.
.:Standard:.

Number of posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Kev's Corrado - Project "Stealthy T" Empty Re: Kev's Corrado - Project "Stealthy T"

Post by mic_VR Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:04 pm

Looking awesome mate, loving the wheels. What tyres are you running now?

Always impressed with your motor, definite inspiration for me.... although I'm not sure I've quite got the skills you have. One day though! Laughing

Did you build your guage pods yourself? (one with the cigar lighter in it)
mic_VR
mic_VR
.:Cammed:.

Male Number of posts : 138

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:08 pm

cheers mate

Oh yeah, I forgot the dyno plots! Added to main post Very Happy

I run 14ish psi boost now, so I don't know what she's kicking out at the moment.

If my recent tussle with a V8 M3 is anything to go by, it's over 400hp now I'd guess Very Happy

kevhaywire

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:11 pm

Cheers Mic Very Happy

Bridgestone RE050 at the front and Continental Sport Contact at the rear.

You just have to get stuck in mate! I knew hardly anything about turbos etc when I started on it 2 years ago. You pick it up as you go along Very Happy

Yeah the gauge pod was a quick and dirty thing. Just a bit of MDF covered in Vinyl and screwed to the console Very Happy

kevhaywire

Back to top Go down

Post by mic_VR Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:46 pm

Yeah, I'm looking forward to getting stuck in now.... it's just hard to deside what shiny stuff to buy first! Laughing

So what's the thought behind the different tyres front and and back. Trial and error or method in the madness?

Do like that guage pod, might have to do similar as I quite like my radio and it'll go well above my standard guage pod.

Anyway, looking very good sir and hopefully get another trip out in it at some point!
mic_VR
mic_VR

Male Number of posts : 138

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:47 pm

I like the fact you retained the cig lighter, still on too many Marlboro per day Kev?

Dont you have any in car boost adjustment, surely its been built to take what the turbo can put out if need be, so get it mapped for it then turn the boost down and then turn it up as and when required. Or do you know it will be permanently turned up and you know you will break it again for sure.
junkie
junkie
.:Bored:.

Male Number of posts : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:10 pm

Impressive.

Looks built to last.
I think z'Germans would approve. Cool
dirtytorque
dirtytorque
.:Charged:.

Number of posts : 1101

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:19 pm

Does the DTA provide boost control Kev? Or indeed dual maps to allow you to have extra if you want it, without it running lean?
mrbeige
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:44 am

Cheers dudes Very Happy

Yep, still on too many Marlboro (lights) a day!

To be honest fellas, I don't like electronic boost control. I've tried a couple of aftermarket ones and they weren't very nice. Got an Apexi AVCR but think I'll just stick on ebay unless any of you want it? Very Happy

The DTA does indeed have boost control but I prefer bleed valves. I like the little spike you get and it's generally smoother.

Anyone that's driven a 1.8T will know what factory boost management is like, i.e. terrible (imo)! I prefer to keep thing simple where possible Very Happy

kevhaywire

Back to top Go down

Post by CorradoVR6-Turbo Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:36 am

i hope you dont mind Kev,but im going to pinch your idea of the battery under the hump...thats brill!...and so is the car! Wink

CorradoVR6-Turbo

Number of posts : 104

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:24 am

LOL, no worries fella. Feel free to pinch any ideas, doesn't bother me Very Happy

I'm thinking about building a more rigid cover though, but using the stock cloth. At the moment it's literally just a cover to hide the battery, but if you lean on it, it's comical, LOL! Still, no one ever gets in the back anyway.

P.S I'm sending you the better quality BMC air filter. I don't think the small Jetex one is man enough tbh!

kevhaywire

Back to top Go down

Post by CorradoVR6-Turbo Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:34 am

is the battery a sealed unit Kev? or do you vent it to atmosphere?

also got the filter mate,looks top notch ta very much! Good work

CorradoVR6-Turbo

Number of posts : 104

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:40 am

I'm jealous, that's all I have to say! Wow

ctwg60

Number of posts : 770

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:50 am

Try living with it daily, you may not be so jealous then! But cheers anyway Very Happy

CorradoVR6-Turbo wrote:is the battery a sealed unit Kev? or do you vent it to atmosphere?

It's a VAG 74AH lead acid battery mate. VR6s just kill off anything smaller very quickly.

I run a vent tube out to atmosphere Cool

kevhaywire

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:14 pm

Thought I'd update my thread a little. Nothing major, just a change of injectors and remapping to suit Very Happy

Ultra fine atomising Denso 1220s, currently the finest injector mist available and boy does it make a difference on the VR6 engine. Suitable for 16V and 24V too since the atomisation occurs right at the injector tip, so will hold in air suspension a lot better with massively reduced puddling....and therefore follow the intake paths to each valve more faithfully and in equal measure.

You can see how far injectors have moved on. The Delphi on the left is a good injector, but typical of an 80s/90s design. Bulky, slow witted and poor atomisation at very low pulse widths. The Denso is half the weight and size and performs a lot better.

A bunch of parts ready to go on in the new year, just to refine things a little further for added reliability.

One thing I've discovered using a VRT daily for 2 years is the factory water hoses just aren't up to the job at all. Different ones split and spring leaks on a weekly basis, so the whole coolant system will be upgraded and I am actually considering dumping the mechanical pump altogether and replacing it with a higher flow electric Meziere one.

kevhaywire

Back to top Go down

Post by Toad Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:18 pm

Are the Denso injectors available in different rates?
Toad
Toad
.:Mod:.

Number of posts : 411

Back to top Go down

Post by jmc Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:26 pm

I must admit Kev I was wondering how peoples cooling systems were coping with all this extra power thats floating around now. Badly it would seem. Electric one would presumably keep the water pressure much more constant.

Those injectors look absolutely tiny. I played around with ultrasonic nozzles during my PhD days (so about 10 years ago now). I wonder whether that technology is starting to filter down now?
jmc
jmc

Male Number of posts : 271

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:37 pm

nice to see a bit of background Kev!

are those injectors piezoelectric? never seen one like that before, but then digital fuel injection is completely foreign to me. Those things make K-Jet items look like crude little pipes!
boost panda
boost panda

Number of posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:55 pm

Toad wrote:Are the Denso injectors available in different rates?

The ones I have are from the 2009 Mazda RX8, but you can get the same injector with 28% more flow, but with slightly worse atomisation. Can't get them smaller than 500cc at the moment, but they'll work on a stock VR if run at 3 bar rail pressure.

Until now, I've never seen a VR6 hold a completely steady and consistent idle with no pops, misses or rpm variation, let alone one with a short runner messing up the intake flow!. It'll sit there all day like it. I've even had it idling dead smooth at 500rpm @ 15 AF. Very Happy

JMC wrote:I must admit Kev I was wondering how peoples cooling systems were coping with all this extra power thats floating around now. Badly it would seem. Electric one would presumably keep the water pressure much more constant.

Not good mate. The main hose that comes off the head and feeds the heater matrix has a plastic 2 way splitter inside it. That gave way pretty quickly and water started escaping through the resultant pin hole fracture. The top and bottom rad hoses seem to be holding up, but the smaller ones dotted about the place are just too fragile. The rubber is too soft and pliable, but then it was never designed to withstand heat radiated from a turbo!

Yep, the Meziere electric pump has better flow and consistency. Just need a shorter belt to run the PAS pulley from the crank! Would like to run the MK5 electric assisted steering rack aswell, but that will require ECU control of Steering angle and road speed sensors, which I don't think the DTA is up to sadly.

The load on the engine from the water and PAS pumps is immense. I disconnected the drive belt once, and the idle immediately rose to 1250rpm from 800rpm!! The VR revs incredibly quickly and freely without that parastic drag, as I'm sure would the 60 and 16V.

I like figuring this kind of thing out though, so I will tackle it eventually Very Happy

JMC wrote:Those injectors look absolutely tiny. I played around with ultrasonic nozzles during my PhD days (so about 10 years ago now). I wonder whether that technology is starting to filter down now?

Not sure how the Densos work tbh mate, all I know is they have a special tip to get the fuel into very fine droplets immediately. Standard VR6 injectors just spray in a narrow cone that atomises upon impact with the intake valve, but that's extremely inefficient and causes wasteful puddling, which drips down the bores and washes the oil away.

Cadburys boost wrote:are those injectors piezoelectric? never seen one like that before, but then digital fuel injection is completely foreign to me. Those things make K-Jet items look like crude little pipes!

As I was saying to Jonathan, I'm not sure of the exact valve technology mate, but it's not your usual disc, ball and socket type. I do know that unlike many injectors from the 80s/90s, these are quite happy running 100% duty continuously and they atomise better than the best low impedance injector currently available, which for a saturated high impedance squirter is bloomin good!

kevhaywire

Back to top Go down

Post by Toad Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:23 pm

kevhaywire wrote:
Toad wrote:Are the Denso injectors available in different rates?

The ones I have are from the 2009 Mazda RX8, but you can get the same injector with 28% more flow, but with slightly worse atomisation. Can't get them smaller than 500cc at the moment, but they'll work on a stock VR if run at 3 bar rail pressure.

Until now, I've never seen a VR6 hold a completely steady and consistent idle with no pops, misses or rpm variation, let alone one with a short runner messing up the intake flow!. It'll sit there all day like it. I've even had it idling dead smooth at 500rpm @ 15 AF. Very Happy

That's what I want to hear! Smile

I'm after a nice smooth nicely mannered car, and having seen the difference made to Dom's car when we did the chains and tensioners and cams, I think these injectors might be the next step in achieving what I'm after.

Plus with a golf 3 bar fpr fitted, hopefully there would be less wear and tear on the fuel pump.
Toad
Toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Toad Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:31 pm

kevhaywire wrote:Yep, the Meziere electric pump has better flow and consistency. Just need a shorter belt to run the PAS pulley from the crank! Would like to run the MK5 electric assisted steering rack aswell, but that will require ECU control of Steering angle and road speed sensors, which I don't think the DTA is up to sadly.

The load on the engine from the water and PAS pumps is immense. I disconnected the drive belt once, and the idle immediately rose to 1250rpm from 800rpm!! The VR revs incredibly quickly and freely without that parastic drag, as I'm sure would the 60 and 16V.

I like figuring this kind of thing out though, so I will tackle it eventually Very Happy

The load of the waterpump, pas pump and alternator does make me wonder about people who praise lightened pullies. Surely the load of these items is going to have far more effect than the flywheel effect of the pullies.

Would the load on the alternator from an electric water pump negate the efficiencies of fitting it?
Toad
Toad

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:48 pm

Cool
I just bought some Lucas injectors.
To say they look different from my previous pintle type jobbies is an understatement.
The openings at the bottom for fuel are HuUge.

Not sure if we went over this before but the bosch fuel pump.Your planning to put that in series with your tank pump.
How are you going to wire it into the FP relay?
Could it have its own relay?
Really can't see why not...
I want one of these,but I'm just thinking about how to integrate it and so was wondering how you were panning to install it.
dirtytorque
dirtytorque

Number of posts : 1101

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:08 pm

Ah the good old Lucas tri cones. A very nice, quiet disc injector Cool . I used 440cc versions of that exact injector prior to my current ones and I liked them a lot. Waaaaaay better than the Bosch green top 440cc.

Yep, I will be mounting the Bosch 044 inline pump under the car next to the filter and feeding it with a stock VR6 tank pump. I will be taking the live feed from the existing wiring and running a seperate relay to the battery. dead easy to do. I'll take pics when I do it.

Toad, the initial energy required to spin up the alloy pulleys is significantly less than the stock steel ones, but the parasitic loads remain the same, so the overall gains are very minimal. I like the weight of the stock pulleys as they absorb con rod harmonics (slight twisting on the power stroke) aswell as other assorted vibrations.

Oh yes, those Densos would make for a smooth motor for sure. Unfortunately, a set of 6 currently costs $860 Neutral

kevhaywire

Back to top Go down

Post by Toad Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:24 pm

kevhaywire wrote:Oh yes, those Densos would make for a smooth motor for sure. Unfortunately, a set of 6 currently costs $860 Neutral

Oh dear. Sad I think I'll have to look out for unattended RX8s knocking around.
Toad
Toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next