OddUnit

Kev's Corrado - Project "Stealthy T"

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Re: Kev's Corrado - Project "Stealthy T"

Post by kevhaywire on Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:43 am

OK, my welder had a spurt of enthusiasm last week and I've managed to make some good progress this weekend.

Downpipe lagged, wideband fitted and then thrown onto the car -

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The ATP heatshield is rubbish, doesn't shield anything and sits too close to the manifold, so I modified it, LOL! Notice also the wastegate fitting. Rubber or silicon vac line just isn't going to last for **** with all that heat, so that and the dump valve are plumbed in with -4 braided teflon. The other benefit of hard line wastegate plumbing is no 'balloon' effect of the line, so it should spike a lot less than normal.

Anyway, the shielding looks a bit heath robinson, but rather that than melted ancilleries -

All done :-) Just got to plumb in the Bosch 044 and it's ready to fire up!

Looks a bit industrial and not a whole lot different from before, but fingers crossed, it'll be a lot more robust this time round!

kevhaywire
.:Stroked:.

Number of posts : 605

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque on Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:06 am

nice work,I need to similar to protect my break servo vac pipe from the heat of the exhaust manifold.
Still interested in seeing how you plumb in the 044.
dirtytorque
.:Charged:.
.:Charged:.

Number of posts : 1101

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:09 am

Cheers!

I'm still running just the intank pump at the moment, but I'll defo put pics up when I get the 044 on.

kevhaywire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:56 am

Nothing wrong with that heat shield at all. Heath Robinson would be proud Smile

£300 Corrado 1.8 16v
The good lady wife's Golf VR
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

View user profile http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mic_VR on Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:21 am

Farking awesome........

i'm sitting here stunned at the pure levels of detail and workmanship that you're going into Kev. Amazing, absolutely amazing.
mic_VR
.:Cammed:.

Male Number of posts : 138

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige on Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:43 am

My thoughts exactly. If my 16vT and/or Golf VR Eaton ever look like that I'll be massively happy. I just think it's taking the time, and the thought to put it together makes all the difference Smile

£300 Corrado 1.8 16v
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:06 pm

I have been sat here all this time thinking he is doing nothing and its all nearly done, good stuff, i must crack on with mine.
junkie
.:Bored:.

Male Number of posts : 376

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire on Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:45 am

It's been done for months mate Very Happy That's an old thread I copied over from the VR6 Owners club. I just never got round to updating this thread at the time.

Thanks for all the kind words chaps. When you're bashing away at it in the garage over time you don't think it's anything special, well I didn't anyway, so it's nice to hear some compliments Very Happy

It's driving well! The bigger wastegate has completely removed some boost spiking I was getting and it goes without saying the ATP manifold is just awesome compared to that nasty SPA one!

kevhaywire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:05 am

I meant it was not long ago you posted the pics up of the new compressor housing without anti surge holes etc and then that was it, but good stuff again.
junkie

Male Number of posts : 376

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KipVR on Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:57 pm

Just seen all this update, love the work Kev, nice solid engineering practices going on there which is always nice to see. I'll have too see this car in the flesh one day.
KipVR
.:Standard:.
.:Standard:.

Number of posts : 38

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire on Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:50 am

Cheers Kip. Said engineering practices are still working fine on a daily basis, so they must work Very Happy

I don't know what's going on with my rear brakes but I've eaten through a set of pads in a year! They were DS2500s aswell, so not cheap. Must be the 280mm rear discs? Bigger diameter disc, more sanding area, plus the grooves and holes are probably accelerating the wear. Oh well, some cheap OE pads this time I think.

Oh and I'm losing PAS fluid. No visible leaks, which means the seals in the rack have gone and the gaiters are slowly filling up with oil. That was a new rack from VW 3 years ago. Doesn't anything last any more?

kevhaywire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige on Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:59 am

Do you think the added heat from the bay could have accelerated the degradation of the seals?

£300 Corrado 1.8 16v
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire on Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:06 am

Good point Stu, I didn't consider that. The rack isn't lagged at all and the 3" downpipe only clears it by an inch or so Neutral

Shame really as the steering feels lovely, but I suppose topping up the oil is cheaper than a new rack Laughing

Due to the oil pressures involved, I doubt the rack seals are normal rubber O rings, so can't just be replaced. **** and double blast!!

kevhaywire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige on Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:36 am

I think boost panda refurnished his own rack, so might be worth asking him?? He seems to have disappeared of the face of the planet though Neutral

£300 Corrado 1.8 16v
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:58 am

mrbeige wrote:I think boost panda refurnished his own rack, so might be worth asking him?? He seems to have disappeared of the face of the planet though Neutral

Probably discovered the Student Bar or Girls!! Laughing

Or Drugs!

ctwg60

Number of posts : 770

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda on Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:03 am

HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION BATMAN!!

Hey now, I discovered both bars and girls a long time ago Very Happy Drugs not so much.

And yeah, I did rebuild my rack. You can still (I think) get the whole rebuild kit for the internals of the rack from VW. I ordered it but didn't require it in the end so took it back. I've still got a huge tube of steering hear grease which goes on the rack and pinion mech.
boost panda

Number of posts : 307

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire on Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:45 pm

Thread resurrection time!

2010 to present has mostly been about refinements, improvements & bodge fixes etc. The only new toy I've bought recently is a DBW controller.

As the eventual aim is to go 24V Turbo, I was keen to get to grips with DBW and practice on the 12V. The poor thing is a rolling experiment Laughing

So anyway, first things first, here are the necessary bits. Standard 4Motion pedal, throttle and DTA controller.

By far the most awkward bit was fitting the pedal, but I won't bore you with the exact details, suffice to say it's just a process of fudging bits of metal into some kind of bracket shape and adjusting the height for best comfort Very Happy

I found having the pedal a cm or so lower than stock and spaced over to the right a bit more was best for me.

There's 3 bolts holding the MK4 pedal to a Bora / Golf's bulkhead so I made up some brackets to suit.

It all fitted in OK, just about. The only snag is the fusebox has to tilt forward but the shelves still go back up OK.

The controller runs cool enough to sit in the glovebox, which is handy and makes the comm port easy to access.

And in the engine bay, no annoying throttle cable getting in the way of things. Oh and I also installed a 2.5 litre washer bottle behing the chargecooler. I was getting fed up with the OE one in the boot taking ages to squirt water onto the screen and getting in the way!!

It's also nice to get rid of the idle valve and associated pipework.

I got a fairly good map done this afternoon. The DBW throttle is stupidly responsive, so I need to do some more work on the transient fuelling, but otherwise it's pretty good so far.

Funnily enough, it pulls away like a 24V, even with a short runner and the 12V's inherent lack of beans down low, so I think the throttle behaviour defines the 24V's character just as much as the variable intake, if not more so.

One feature I like is Pedal to Butterfly translation. I can set this to say, 100% pedal = 10% throttle for when the missus drives it Very Happy

Slowing down the initial sensitivity looks tricky to tame tbh. No wonder Revo et al never seem to soften it down enough. I think it's a physical design thing. The DBW throttles on VAGs are all full bore (and mirror polished to avoid butterfly sticking as it closes 100%, i.e. contact with the body) and because of the full bore, flow increases quickly from quite a small opening. Golf and Corrado throttles are progressive, with either a dual stage opening mechanism (Corrado) or a ramp in the body (Golf).

It's all good though and it's something to keep me amused for a while!

kevhaywire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda on Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:42 pm

That sounds like an interesting bit of kit Kev! I didn't realise the VR was so gutless low down though.
boost panda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yandards on Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:06 am

Interesting.

Did you consider using the throttle pedal assembly from the MK 3 diesels instead?

It should have been an easier fit into the pedal box assembly.

My aftermarket does support DBW as well out of the box but it's not something I had considered using - this is all way in the future anyway Smile

Yandards

Number of posts : 163

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire on Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:56 am

Hey Pandarington.... 12Vs feel low on torque low down compared to other 'normal' V6s, but in comparison to a 4 cyl engine, they are plenty torquey. The only reason VAG 4 pots are torquey these days is because of high compression and / or forced induction.

Still, despite how they feel, they do actually zoom down the road at a fair old lick. Well, mine does at least Very Happy

Or did, should I say :-( I very nearly blew the rear bank over the weekend. Plug number 5 melted, twice. Seems to be running super lean in boost for some reason. All 3 rear pistons are peppered with pock marks. Fresh set of plugs in and they look like someone's beat the with a tiny ball pein hammer.

All I can say is, hmmmm.... never had that problem before. It would be a shame to lose this motor after 60K's reliable service.

I'm not sure if it's some wiring I've accidentally disturbed, injector fault, injectors maxxing out, mapping, could be anything.

It was idling nicely last night, then it would randomly misfire, then smooth out again. Changed the coilpack and leads, same. I'm getting nasty thoughts of a scratched bore or 2 oiling the plugs up.

Oh well, this is what happens when you fix something that isn't broken, but I'm a sucker for new toys. Very Happy The 24V may be going in sooner than I planned.

Yan, no, it had to be standard 4 Motion parts for me as that is the donor engine I have. Technically speaking, you can use any DBW pedal with any DBW throttle, but I did at least know in advance I don't like floor mounted pedals. MK3s must have a different bulkhead plate for the pedal box compared to Corrados because there is absolutely no where to attach a DBW pedal on a Corrado, but then again I never study ETKA, so I'm only guessing!

You've got a good ECU if it's got DBW built in! Not many ECUs have that.

The only reason I considered DBW was because of the 24V. There's no way I wanted to use a cable throttle on it and ruin it's character.

kevhaywire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 on Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:56 am

Good work, shame about the rear bank issue, onwards and upwards!

ctwg60

Number of posts : 770

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yandards on Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:49 pm

**** on the rear bank issue, I am assume there is no knock detection on the DTA?

Doing some cross checking the 1.9TDi B4 Passat 1Z engine uses a DBW throttle pedal that is pretty much the same as the Corrado item, in fact the 94-97 Passat that is not DBW uses a later Corrado throttle pedal.

The DBW Passat throttle pedal appears to be identical to a stock Corrado item in terms of part number - it has a revision suffix that would be accounted for by the adjustment made to mate up to the DBW sensor instead of a hole for the throttle cable. The Passat pedal cluster is also very similar in terms of part number to the Corrado item.

Yandards

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda on Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:24 pm

^^^ how do you know all of this stuff!!!
boost panda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda on Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:27 pm

Kev, I found the throttle response on Ziderapple's 24V that he let me loose on very responsive too. I think it's part of the system as you say.
boost panda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yandards on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:44 am

boost panda wrote:^^^ how do you know all of this stuff!!!

Vulcan

Nah, luckily Mrs Yandards currently has a B4 Passat 1.9 TDI 1Z engine so it gives a car to look at and compare - that's where I found the wishbone leading edge plastic protection and the plastic wiper motor cover. The rest is just a lot of ETKA cross checking (ATP is your friend) and some interpretation. The 1Z diesel is a very modern unit in terms of ECU managment and was the first VW to have the cruise control option within the ECU - all you need is a stalk kit from VAG, which is cheaper than the stalk on its own!

For instance if I ATP a seal on the heater box then I can see which other cars in the range use that seal, that then makes that part of the heater assembly roughly the same as the Corrado item; if I then compare the part number you can usually work out if the revision is a tweak to an existing part (suffix letter applied at the end) or a new part - initial 3 digits replaced with something like 1H0 etc. It is guesswork but as most motor manufacturers want to keep costs down the number of new parts they make is also kept to a minimum.

Yandards

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next