OddUnit
DSG corrado gearbox install Cooltext403300291

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OddUnit
DSG corrado gearbox install Cooltext403300291
OddUnit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DSG corrado gearbox install

+3
SensibleDave
KipVR
coxylaad
7 posters

Go down

DSG corrado gearbox install Empty DSG corrado gearbox install

Post by coxylaad Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:39 pm

Just thought i would let you know of my DSG paddle shift gearbox install plans.

Now i suppose this will only really be relevant to those who are running 24v installs, but i am planning to install said gearbox into my r32 corrado. The engine never had a dsg gearbox, but i have heard that box itself is a self contained unit and just needs to interface with the mk4 CAN bus to be able to talk to everything it needs to operate is originally intended.

Just in the planning stage at the moment but i will report back when it happens.

laters

Coxy

coxylaad
.:Standard:.

Number of posts : 4

Back to top Go down

DSG corrado gearbox install Empty Re: DSG corrado gearbox install

Post by KipVR Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:51 pm

I'll be watching this with interest and hope it goes smoothly for you. Are there any 24v DSG gearboxes that aren't 4wd?
KipVR
KipVR

Number of posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Post by SensibleDave Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:23 pm

I have a Bosch technology book which details the basic interface for DSG. It talks to loads of modules, ABS, Steering wheel, Engine. Only a few parameters from each but still expects to see them.

Could do with a bit of insider information on what it really expects to see. Starter guesses....

Engine speed / Load are the obvious ones.
Steering angle
Brake pedal pressure
Road wheel speeds

The DSG has all kinds of really neat control schemes going on, including softening the downshifts when hard on the brakes and turning the steering wheel.

Don't get me wrong, I've always wanted to do this so I'll see what I can find out. May take a while though.
SensibleDave
SensibleDave

Male Number of posts : 32

Back to top Go down

Post by coxylaad Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:33 am

sensibleDave lol like the name Smile

Nice one mate, any information you can provid would be brilliant.

I am on a big head start as it is, as my car is sitting exactly as a mk4 golf R32, and has everything fitted to it barring the central locking.
So I have the abs/esp unit, the steering wheel senders, brake pressure senders etc etc.
So i suspect I can just stick it on, plug it into the CAN bus, and recode teh ECU for an auto box then that should be it....he says...

Obviously anyone else wanting to do this conversion who doesnt have the mk4 setup will have a hell of a lot of work to do, but it may still be possible.

you can get an A3 3.2 DSG non quattro i think. and you can get diesel dsg non 4wd boxes.

coxylaad

Number of posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:18 am

I think that anyone would struggle to get the DSG working without all the other mk4 gear. You might be able to emulate wheel speeds using the abs sensors and of course engine speed would be simple to use, but steering angle and brake pressure would be more difficult. We (Pi Shurlok Ltd) have a CAN gateway module with a range of I/O that could do the above, but you'd need the steering angle sensors and a means to calibrate the input to get that working, but the most difficult task would be determining the correct CAN messages that the DSG module would be expecting to see.

Coxy, I think you have by far the easiest task of getting it all working. Smile
mrbeige
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by razzle Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:24 pm

This sort of project is hard enough to implement even *with* all the manufacturers docs, (I did something similar late last year at Pi). The DSG may "talk back" to the engine to e.g., modulate torque during shifts and communicate the max torques etc, and so you may need to modify the engine ECU to understand these messages. As mrbeige says, a CAN gateway box may do it for this project, but without the manufacturers CAN specs and both engine ECU and DSG strategy docs, it's going to be very challenging to reverse engineer.

razzle

Male Number of posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by KipVR Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:03 pm

Most of the VW Engine ECU's have the DSG output though, just not used. So all of those who are using the 24V engines and VAG ECU should be ok. It's just the extra sensors they then need.

Last edited by KipVR on Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
KipVR
KipVR

Number of posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Post by razzle Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:49 pm

If the existing ECU can be calibrated to expect the DSG then that's half the battle won, (assuming that something like Vagcom can do the cal). Then you just need to convince the DSG that the other MK4 bits are present.

razzle

Male Number of posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:45 am

With MK5 R32 prices the way they are at the moment, it's tempting to buy one and transfer EVERYTHING over to a Corrado, wire by wire, Renshaw style Very Happy

Then keep the MK5 shell for another project.....W8, W12, R36, high boost 2.0 TFSI....endless options!

kevhaywire
.:Stroked:.
.:Stroked:.

Number of posts : 605

Back to top Go down

Post by DennZ Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:37 am

Hello,

we have installed a DSG gearbox in a VW Corrado without an original VW CAN-System. See more at our homepage: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
DennZ
DennZ

Male Number of posts : 1

http://www.dsg-corrado.de

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down