OddUnit
Audi VDO gauges Cooltext403300291

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OddUnit
Audi VDO gauges Cooltext403300291
OddUnit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Audi VDO gauges

2 posters

Go down

Audi VDO gauges Empty Audi VDO gauges

Post by junkie Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:26 pm

Right then a while ago i acquired the early Audi 80 VDO 3 gauge cluster, volt, oil temp, oil pressure.

I was going to get a sump plug oil temp sender, anybody know the size of the thread etc for the G60 engine.

Then i need a 5 bar oil pressure sender, which do i need?

Also do i need a T piece adaptor anywhere to fit the oil pressure sender and where is the best place to mount it.

Thanks
junkie
junkie
.:Bored:.
.:Bored:.

Male Number of posts : 376

Back to top Go down

Audi VDO gauges Empty Re: Audi VDO gauges

Post by davidwort Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:57 pm

junkie wrote:Right then a while ago i acquired the early Audi 80 VDO 3 gauge cluster, volt, oil temp, oil pressure.

I was going to get a sump plug oil temp sender, anybody know the size of the thread etc for the G60 engine.

Then i need a 5 bar oil pressure sender, which do i need?

Also do i need a T piece adaptor anywhere to fit the oil pressure sender and where is the best place to mount it.

Thanks

the usual place for a pressure sender is on top of the oil filter housing, and using one of a couple of VDO 2 pole senders you can replace either of the existing pressure warning senders with it. I'll dig out the numbers, I've used both types on a 16v.
you could use a T piece on the oil filter housing for the temp sender, I've got a 6A block which uses the later oil filter housing that has 3 drillings, handy for both pressure senders and a temp sender, unfortunately I think the 1.8 blocks only have a 2 drilling housing available I think.
Oil temps from head and housing only vary by a degree or so, perhaps a sump mounted temp sender would be several more degrees off what the head temp oil actually is?

Whenever I've seen 80 sports/coupes in scrappies, people have the gauges out really quick but 99% of the time forget to find the sender, they're pretty expensive new.
Top tip for the temp sender is get one off the filter housing on a seat ibiza or similar, in fact loads of VAG cars have those small temp sensors on them, lots of passats and any GTI etc.

davidwort
.:Standard:.
.:Standard:.

Number of posts : 29

Back to top Go down