OddUnit
Oakie ABF 16VT project - Now gone! :-( Cooltext403300291

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OddUnit
Oakie ABF 16VT project - Now gone! :-( Cooltext403300291
OddUnit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oakie ABF 16VT project - Now gone! :-(

+5
m15 vw
mic_VR
junkie
mrbeige
Shaggy
9 posters

Go down

Oakie ABF 16VT project - Now gone! :-( Empty Oakie ABF 16VT project - Now gone! :-(

Post by Shaggy Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:40 am

Hi Peeps! Just thought i would start a Build thread for my DIY ABF 16VT project.

Base car is a fairly clean 16V Mk2 Golf

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have Made a start on the ABF engine, managed to get it all stripped down and ready for some tombodgery. Very Happy

After doing some carefull research i heading down the road of Cheapness... I am thinking about Either Stacking Gaskets/ Spacer Gasket or Maybe fitting 9A Pistons to reduce CR rather than forking out all that money for forged items at the moment. I am also in two minds whether or not to uprate the conrods..?? I am aiming for around 250 - 300bhp... so maybe uprating atleast the rods to maybe Scat items is a good idea.

I have also managed to source a nice little Garret/Air Research Hybrid T25/28 with a T3 flange .48 hot side with .68 cold side,3" intake with 2.5" V Band outlet.
Aswell as a S/S Manifold, And spacer gasket (may or may not use this) via the Rado Forum!! yay Very Happy

I have a complete G60 setup in my garage which i am probably gonna either sell complete or sell parts off seperately.. which may leave me with a G60 ECU and loom which again i may also utilise... but in the long run either Emerald or Megasquirt will probably be used.

Still got to collect/modifiy lots of other parts but i will find time to post up as much info as i can, and i am sure no doubt i will be after some help along the way

Its a start anyway. Very Happy

Cheers

Mike.

Last edited by Shaggy on Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:16 pm; edited 5 times in total

Shaggy
.:Standard:.

Number of posts : 33

Back to top Go down

Oakie ABF 16VT project - Now gone! :-( Empty Re: Oakie ABF 16VT project - Now gone! :-(

Post by mrbeige Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:02 am

Mike, you could upgrade the ABF rods to 2E items as they are quite a bit sturdier. You will be at the limit of the standard rods with 300 horses anyway, so the 2E items will at least give you a bit of 'breathing room'.

Stacked metal gaskets will work, for a 'ghetto' turbo setup. I've seen the Americans run quite a lot of boost using them too, and reasonably reliably as long as you are gentle with the build-up of boost.

What is your plan for inlet manifold? Are you going to use the standard 'bunch of bananas' or go for a shorter runner manifold?
mrbeige
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Oakie ABF 16VT project - Now gone! :-( Empty Re: Oakie ABF 16VT project - Now gone! :-(

Post by Shaggy Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:06 am

mrbeige wrote:Mike, you could upgrade the ABF rods to 2E items as they are quite a bit sturdier. You will be at the limit of the standard rods with 300 horses anyway, so the 2E items will at least give you a bit of 'breathing room'.

Stacked metal gaskets will work, for a 'ghetto' turbo setup. I've seen the Americans run quite a lot of boost using them too, and reasonably reliably as long as you are gentle with the build-up of boost.

What is your plan for inlet manifold? Are you going to use the standard 'bunch of bananas' or go for a shorter runner manifold?

yeh had looked into the 2E rods, would be a cheaper option for sure! just gotta get my finger out and find one. Cool

I am defo looking into the stacked gasket route.. as it would be a cheaper short term option to get the engine in and running Cool

As for the inlet.... I am looking into modifying a Cupra 20VT inlet so i can have a budget short runner intake.

I am trying to base most of the setup on "Toyotecs" ABF Turbo setup on ClubGTI, thats the theory anyway Laughing

Shaggy

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:54 am

Yeah, Toyotec's setup is quite good really.

I've got a AGU inlet manifold that I'm going to have the flange off the standard inlet manifold welded in place of the standard 1.8t one I just means I can use the 1.8t fuel rail and FPR for now.
mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:04 pm

Not sure which rods mine are but they are 16v/20v standard rods and support your target power, they are good for 1.5bar all day long.
junkie
junkie
.:Bored:.

Male Number of posts : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaggy Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:47 am

^^^^ If i achieve anywhere near 300bhp i will be over the moon, although i will be happy with 250 - 275bhp...so i may just leave the rods alone for now...

If it breaks i will fix it.... haha.. its only going to be the cost of another ABF engine and some elbow grease

Shaggy

Back to top Go down

Post by mic_VR Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:07 am

Loving the sound of this build, and loving the mk2 base car. Had much stick off people when you tell them you're modding an 'oak green'?

Good stuff mate! Cool
mic_VR
mic_VR
.:Cammed:.

Male Number of posts : 138

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaggy Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:52 am

haha not really... then again i havent really done any build threads as such... well not on Edition 38 anyway.

Still i dont care eitherway... its my car, i shall do with it as i want Laughing

Shaggy

Back to top Go down

Post by m15 vw Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:30 am

can't wait to see this finished! Yum!!

Last edited by m15 vw on Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
m15 vw
m15 vw

Female Number of posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:21 am

Good stuff I have an ABF engine at home that I'd like to huff at some stage.
Interested to see how you get on.
Nice to see a mk2 build around here too. Smile
dirtytorque
dirtytorque
.:Charged:.
.:Charged:.

Number of posts : 1101

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:56 am

dirtytorque wrote:Nice to see a mk2 build around here too. Smile
Indeed! Very Happy
mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaggy Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:12 am

well i had originally planned to R32/24V my VR Corrado... but i wanted something a bit more "raw" if you get me...??
I am hoping the Golf will be a traffic light GP weapon once its completely stripped and Huffed... Very Happy

Shaggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Flusted Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:40 am

If it helps we are breaking an oaker at the moment silent
Flusted
Flusted

Male Number of posts : 230

Back to top Go down

Post by mic_VR Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:00 pm

Shaggy wrote:haha not really... then again i havent really done any build threads as such... well not on Edition 38 anyway.

Still i dont care eitherway... its my car, i shall do with it as i want Laughing

Good lad, I don't have much time for Ed38 myself either. Can't do right for doing wrong on that place. Can't wait to see it up and running, seen some lovely mk2 ABF's and i'm sure you'll find it'll handle amazing to.

Excellent!
mic_VR
mic_VR

Male Number of posts : 138

Back to top Go down

Post by CorradoVR6-Turbo Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:33 am

will be good to see that turbo put to good use,its been sat of my mates windosill for about a year!

and a good looking car to put it all in.

CorradoVR6-Turbo

Number of posts : 104

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaggy Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:44 am

Got the GT25 Hybrid Turbo and parts today!!!! yay!!! Very Happy

Thought it would be rude not to see how its gonna look Very Happy

THis is what i am aiming for hopefully Very Happy :

Shaggy

Back to top Go down

Post by CorradoVR6-Turbo Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:07 pm

its nice to see that turbo on the motor Very Happy happy with the parts mate?

CorradoVR6-Turbo

Number of posts : 104

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaggy Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:44 am

oh yes!! Thanks for sorting it all out for me james! Very Happy

Its all starting to come together now! Still got to source a few parts and then i can start to build up properly and get the engine into the car

Shaggy

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:24 am

How you getting on with this, Mike? Still going Megasquirt?
mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaggy Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:24 am

Megasquirt is on hold now untill next year : Cool

mainly because i have bought these Very Happy

Wossner Forged Pistopns
Wossner H-beam Rods
with new ABF HEad Gasket & BOlts

Got them for a decent price from a guy on Clubgti, should mean the bottom end is solid as a rock when finished.

Shaggy

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:50 am

So, how come your selling up Mike? Tis an awful shame... Sad
mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaggy Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:13 pm

Basically not having a good time of it at work, cutting of hours etc etc, i basically just needed to cut my loses and sell everything i had so i wouldnt kleep spending money on it! something i just cant afford at the moment.... Crying or Very sad

The golf has gone now, aswell as all the engine bits and its all been replaced with my lovely new Mk4 Golf Turbo :

Its a Nice all-rounder Daily that i can use whilst i sort myself out with my new Job i am starting in the New year... so atleast i wont the have distractions of a 16vt to build Very Happy

MK4
W reg but non age related plate 94,000 miles
Black heated leather recaro’s
Debadged Grill
Boot infill (properly applied)
Original Rear & Front Bumper Smoothed
Tailgate Badge and Handle Removed and Smoothed
Rear Spoiler Removed
Anni mirrors
Non Sunroof Model
R32 US spec tail lights
Anniversary skirts
4 motion rear valance

KW Variant II Coilovers
Uprated anti roll bar
Mercedes Benz S500 coupe wheels
Falken 452’s 215x35x18

K03s Turbo
BMC "Carbon Dynamic Airbox"
Forge Intake Pipe
Sard competition dump valve
Miltec stainless exhaust
G60 flywheel and VR6 clutch
Cat bypass
Remap to suit mods - Approx 220bhp

And i must say that for a lardy Mk4 it certainly goes like poop of a shovel!!! so i am happy for the time being and its exactly what i was after

Shaggy

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:48 pm

Somebody put your steering wheel on the wrong way.
junkie
junkie

Male Number of posts : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaggy Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:32 am

haha!

Luckily it didnt come with that wheel, i have the standard wheel on now, which i much prefer. Cool

Shaggy

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:28 am

Sorry to hear the oaky went mate, but you are doing the sensible thing in the current climate. Who knows, perhaps you will be able to start another one in the future?

cheers again for those engine blocks, Prod has started stripping his one down now, and i'm pricing mine up! woo hoo Very Happy

Jon
boost panda
boost panda

Number of posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down