OddUnit
Shifter Group BUY Cooltext403300291

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OddUnit
Shifter Group BUY Cooltext403300291
OddUnit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shifter Group BUY

4 posters

Go down

Shifter Group BUY Empty Shifter Group BUY

Post by junkie Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:53 am

What would be the best way to achieve a short throw shifter but also with a taller gear stick, so the shifter knob is right next to the steering wheel, i kinda like the CAE shifter but the bottom tower is all too elaborate and bling, it also would require the loss of the gear shift plastic surround but i need to keep that so it looks normal inside.

I also like better the SQS shifter, not just for making the cable shift into a sequential shift but it also is more subtle looking but this also requires the loss of the gear surround.

Any ideas.

Last edited by junkie on Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:30 am; edited 2 times in total
junkie
junkie
.:Bored:.

Male Number of posts : 376

Back to top Go down

Shifter Group BUY Empty Re: Shifter Group BUY

Post by ctwg60 Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:59 am

It's physically impossible to have a short throw shifter with the gear knob close to the steering wheel and the change mechanism to be hidden under the plastics. sorry buddy! Smile

ctwg60
.:Stroked:.

Number of posts : 770

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:11 am

I think my thinking behind it is to get the short throw kit with the biggest short throw reduction i can find so when i have a longer gear stick the throw will be at least equal to the throw now as in actual how far my hand will travel, but if that is possible would it make it feel really notchy through the gears due to my hand moving the same but the shift mechanism moving a small amount.
junkie
junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by Toad Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:45 am

I've driven Steve's TDI corrado with a mk4 shifter and a short shift kit, and that brings the gear lever into a better position (well, I think it's a better postition for what you want) and with a nice quick throw.

Might be worth having a word to see if you could try it...
Toad
Toad
.:Mod:.

Number of posts : 411

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:02 am

Just some pics if you have any?
junkie
junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:02 am

Si, could you not mount a mk4 shifter on top of the tunnel instead of underneath, with a short shift kit? That could bring the shift right up next to the steering wheel. It might look a little agricultural, but I'm sure you could make it look 'right' with a little fibreglass resin on some speaker cloth and then trimmed in some leather/vinyl to match the rest of the interior...
mrbeige
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:11 am

It just doesnt sound appealing, having had a look around i like the CAE but the exchange rate is naff, works out £200 more than when i last looked.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Also it might be able to come in black, i want a black base with silver arm.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
junkie
junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:34 pm

These really do it for me especially the 1st.

junkie
junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:08 am

Ok just found out these are available to buy in limited quantities, they were designed for the BMW race car to a drivers specification, lots of people wee interested in having 1 too so they have been built in very limited quantities.

Here we have the Race version

Here we have the street version

I think it will be this street version that we would get

Here is some text i found about it

"The actual shifting mechanism obviously does not change, you are just shifting from a higher point. The distance the top of the shifter moves will be increased as you go higher and higher, while maintaining the same shifter "throw."

One of the things I originally tried to do with this idea was to allow more fine tuning of the shifter feel. While the shift knob is higher, many people have very short throw short shifter kits, so it offsets it and allows you to fine tune the feel and throw. Plus, being Delrin it won't heat up or get cold, and is difficult to get dirty"

I installed the v2 race knob and took a short trip around the block; ergonomics is absolutely excellent for me! The taller knob with the round top [suits my relatively short arms... ] Now that the overall length of the shift lever is longer, my short shifter also feels less notchy and each throw still remains reasonably short!

The group buy would be for just the black part of the shifter knob, they would be coming from either the US or Cananda i think, they are $90, i am just waiting to hear back with some info on the specs of them as they are not a standardised part, they are a low production part so as i say very limited in quantity.

We need 5 as a minimum, so thats me and 4 others.

This would work great with a short shifter kit also fitted, but not essential.

Please show your interest quickly and then i can confirm if it can go ahead.[i]
junkie
junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:06 am

Still waiting on some specs/dimensions for these but they are made specifically to fit a BMW shifter perfectly but it cant be that hard to fit into a Corrado.

There is a tall and short version available, tall been race and short been street, the difference is 1" in height.

On the pics above the race version was version 1 having a taper and flat top, after feedback from racers it was decided to change the design slightly to a rounded top, the rounded top is the only style available obviously in 2 different lengths.

Any feedback at all from anybody?
junkie
junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:12 am

Feedback - The kit looks pretty good. Not sure on the ease of fitment to use with the Corrado box. I guess if they are both cable change boxes then it's not a problem, unless the shifter mechanism is 'gated'. Is it a backward/forward movement only?
mrbeige
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:17 am

No its just a shift knob basically like MOMO knobs, just the black knob bit.
junkie
junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:44 am

So it just makes your knob longer, is that right?

ctwg60

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:59 am

Yes so its close to the steering wheel, then if the actual hand throw is too much to bear fit a short shift kit.

Basically i want the closeness to the steering wheel more than the short snick snick, so by fitting a short shift kit and this knob will give you the factory shift feel with the raised shifter, yes there may be other ways to do it, but for me personally looks like nothing people have seen before and go like wtf is that, lol.
junkie
junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:02 am

Yes I see what you mean. It appears from those pictures that this knob extension has a greater girth nearer the tip. Do you think that is to give a better feel in your hand?

ctwg60

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:18 am

It does, there was talk of the street version having no lip near the bottom but from what i have been told there is just 1 version, the rounded top not flat with 2 different lengths.

It is primarily designed for the BMW race cars so i would imagine yes it is to have a better feel or maybe more so you can find it easier.

Here is the thread selling them

Here is the thread asking would anybody be interested if he were to make them

Lots more pics on there.
junkie
junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:35 am

From what i can make out the shifter is 6" tall, 1.75" at the widest part of the grip.

Can somebody measure up on the corrado shifter how this would sit for dash clearance on a non short shift car and where it theoretically would sit in relation to the steering wheel.
junkie
junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:16 am

junkie wrote:It does, there was talk of the street version having no lip near the bottom but from what i have been told there is just 1 version, the rounded top not flat with 2 different lengths.

I would prefer a lip at the bottom of the shaft with a nice rounded end to the knob but don't fancy having a flattened knob-end.

ctwg60

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:50 am

As far as im aware both the long and short are rounded with the lip and the long been 6" the short been 5".

Just need somebody to have a measure to see if it a viable option.

as far as i can work out, if it wont slide on the shaft it can be drilled out as its plastic and steve has already said this, and although this has not been mentioned by steve if the shaft is too narrow and its loose then maybe some carefully applied insulation tape to thicken it up so its tight on the shaft and then the screws hold it tighter.
junkie
junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:26 am

I am going to put a timeframe on the group buy. I will be ordering on the 15th January, if we cant make 5 then it wont go ahead.
junkie
junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum