OddUnit
saysomestuff's Corrado - getting you up to speed Cooltext403300291

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OddUnit
saysomestuff's Corrado - getting you up to speed Cooltext403300291
OddUnit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

saysomestuff's Corrado - getting you up to speed

+3
mrbeige
dirtytorque
saysomestuff
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

saysomestuff's Corrado - getting you up to speed Empty saysomestuff's Corrado - getting you up to speed

Post by saysomestuff Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:05 am

Right, lots of this is nicked from another local forum but should get you up to where I am now with the build.

Specification:

• 1992 Moonlight Blue 2L 16v (130k)
  • 17" Kahn RSR
  • Eyebrow spoiler
  • Grey Cloth with flat bench
  • Clear side repeaters
  • KR head and cams
  • Drillled airbox

First day:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

In hindsight, i rushed into buying this - it was fundamentally in good nick and had decent history but the last few years with it's previous owner, aLOT of things had gone unmaintained. 2 years of intermittant and frustrating issues culmanated in a new head.

here's a list of the job's i've done thus far:

• Heater matrix repair (first job i ever did lol, in at the deep end)
  • about two weeks fixing the creaks and rattles from matrix repair!
  • fitted rear badge and swapped front for standard black
  • Side repeaters back to standard
  • 4 new tyres
  • door handle repair
  • spoiler repair
  • stereo change
  • another spoiler repair (broke it installing stereo)
  • new rad, stat, belts, expansion cap
  • new leads & plugs
  • replacement steering rack
  • swapped cat for hollow one
  • new discs and pads all round
  • rebuild of KR head
  • head swap and replacement of crank sprocket and lower pulleys
  • drivers seat dismantle and weld repair
  • changed gearknob
  • removed eyebrow

Summer 2005:

Le Engine

Heater matrix half done

I had a big problem when the crank sprocket sheared it's woodruff key and bent a few valves - new KR head rebuilt and fitted but then the ideas start to creep in.....

Most of the engine back in

So I gave up on getting it back on the road in it's current state as there were loads of niggly problems with it, particularly the Motronic and I just couldn't be bothered to go without totally knowing in what state of repair the rest of it was in.

That's when people like Stu and Coxy started poisoning my brain Cyborg

I briefly dallied with the idea of fitting a 2L FSI engine (bought one and sold on the 02S 'box) on ITBs and thought about V6 etc.etc. then me and Stu started looking into the cult of the 16vt. I shipped the car off to my gf's folks house in west wales where i'd have some space to work on it and the plan started. Ultimately, we're talking a 2Litre 20v hybrid with forged internals etc.etc.

But i decided to use the existing 2litre as a test bed for all the new wiring, management, call it phase 1

FSI engine:

Car on it's way:

The biggest problem I had was changing my mind about the project, buying **** that i didn't need and generally not having enough time to get things moving.

So here's some of the bits that I'll actually be using

Got a bit excited so had a play with megatunix:

New Rail:

Megasquirt:

Took the FSI apart so I could get a better understanding if the 2020 was a goer, and I was moving house so had to decide pretty quickly which bits needed to be kept and which bits were for the bin. Some general engine guts.

Got this far and was pretty hopeful that the 20v head would fit - AEB head:

Many thanks to JNLRacing for confirming that it will indeed fit.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

I'm smoothing and cleaning the bay so thought it'd be easier to just drop the motor out.

I originally painted the block ford enamel blue, but once it'd had a couple of weeks to go off it looked gash.

Still on the standard colouring idea I got the wire brushes and hammerite out:

Next visit, got the suspension and hubs off ready for refurbishment - you can see how bad the blue looks here.

Whilst waiting for other bits, though I may aswell get started on the inside, the infamous, 'dash in the rear' mod Smile

Mostly done

All done

and engine bay thus far

So I said i'd changed my mind on the colouring.

Gearbox cleaned & painted:

Inlet mani and engine masked and painted:

Other bits n bobs:

Lower intake:

Couldn't resist a quick mockup with the rail (started bloody spitting as usual):

So there we have it, I've got the hubs dismantled ready for new CVs, 5 stud hubs and bearings, already got new wishbones and brakes too.

MegaSquirt will be with me at the end of the month so hopefull things will pick up a bit of pace from there.

saysomestuff
.:Standard:.

Number of posts : 46

Back to top Go down

saysomestuff's Corrado - getting you up to speed Empty Re: saysomestuff's Corrado - getting you up to speed

Post by dirtytorque Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:35 am

Very interesting.
Thnks for sharing.
How come your using megatunix?
Do u use Linux?

I have been using Tunerstudio instead of Megatune,which I quite like.I think its a better peice of software and tuing the 3d maps and accel enrichment etc is easier with it.
I might give Megatunix a go now too.
See what it is like.
dirtytorque
dirtytorque
.:Charged:.

Number of posts : 1101

Back to top Go down

saysomestuff's Corrado - getting you up to speed Empty Re: saysomestuff's Corrado - getting you up to speed

Post by saysomestuff Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:57 am

dirtytorque wrote:Very interesting.
Thnks for sharing.
How come your using megatunix?
Do u use Linux?

I have been using Tunerstudio instead of Megatune,which I quite like.I think its a better peice of software and tuing the 3d maps and accel enrichment etc is easier with it.
I might give Megatunix a go now too.
See what it is like.

i do use linux but it was literally because I saw the onscreen dials on a youtube vid so I installed it to have a play - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

in my picture it's installed on a vista machine. How are you getting on with your MS now then?

saysomestuff

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:30 am

I keep a laptop in the car but I rarely have it on,if I do it is just for logging.
I have pretty much achieved what I set out to do,which was familiarise myself with MS on my current setup b4 moving on to a better engine.
I am pretty happy with it.
My engine is pretty basic so its not a big stretch for MS.(Dizzy and coil setup).

Megatunix looks impressive.
I think i'll give it a go.

Good luck with this build mate.Keep us in the loop. Good work
dirtytorque
dirtytorque

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:31 am

Good work Cole! Glad to see some progress now! You are doing better than me Embarassed

Keep us updated Good work
mrbeige
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:32 am

saysomestuff wrote:MegaSquirt will be with me at the end of the month so hopefull things will pick up a bit of pace from there.
I better pull my finger out then geek
mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by nemesis360 Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:21 pm

Good progress mate, how far are you going with the bay smoothing?

nemesis360
.:Cammed:.

Number of posts : 66

Back to top Go down

Post by saysomestuff Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:59 pm

Cheers bud.

In answer to your question, quite far!

Binned the ABS. The brake, clutch and steering lines will all come inside the cabin, PAS reservoir in the scuttle and pump sitting in the o/s chassis leg where that hole is in your pic - will have to run a small fluid cooler somewhere up front so that seems like a fairly sensible place to put it.

I'm welding plates over the rails and blanking the bulkhead which is why the matrix is interesting as i'd resigned myself to still having to run that. slim fan, battery in the boot, in-pipe rad fill and wiring through the wings will mean there won't be much at all in the bay.

Especially since i'm runnign COP, ISV under the TB, lupo crank sensor and BBM fuel rail too.

saysomestuff

Back to top Go down

Post by nemesis360 Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:49 pm

Similar to mine then, Ill keep you posted on any problems I have so you dont run into them...and if you do the same itll help us both out Good work

nemesis360

Number of posts : 66

Back to top Go down

Post by mic_VR Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:49 am

Looking good mate, hopefully all this wonderful stuff will prompt Stu to get a move on! Laughing

So what other plans you got? Wheels? Interior etc.... or will we have to wait?
mic_VR
mic_VR

Male Number of posts : 138

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:00 am

mic_VR wrote:Looking good mate, hopefully all this wonderful stuff will prompt Stu to get a move on! Laughing
Cheeky begger Slapfight
mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by saysomestuff Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:05 pm

Ha yeah I'm hoping Stu'll be ok to finish it. I've got some other plans to complete the look but I'll keep them under wraps for now Smile

Aye nemesis, I think it'll make sense to keep each other in the loop

saysomestuff

Back to top Go down

Post by saysomestuff Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:55 am

mic_VR wrote:Looking good mate, hopefully all this wonderful stuff will prompt Stu to get a move on! Laughing

Actually, am i right in thinking I'm buying your dash? If so, hello, nice to meet you Laughing

saysomestuff

Back to top Go down

Post by mic_VR Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:23 am

saysomestuff wrote:

Actually, am i right in thinking I'm buying your dash? If so, hello, nice to meet you Laughing

Hey nice to meet you to, it all falls into place! Laughing

I'll keep my mouth shut then, but can't wait to see how you get on. You're alot braver than I am!
mic_VR
mic_VR

Male Number of posts : 138

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:01 am

MS is 1/3 complete, should get the rest done tomorrow and Thursday Smile
mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by saysomestuff Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:30 am

mrbeige wrote:MS is 1/3 complete, should get the rest done tomorrow and Thursday Smile

Sweet! Man i'm excited. Looking forward to a good chinwag about it on Sunday too mate.

saysomestuff

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:23 pm

Right, nearly done! Just the Daughter board to get in there, and the COP and PWM mods to do. Here is a pic for your satisfaction pirat

mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by CorradoVR6-Turbo Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:26 pm

very good mate,you must have a stedy hand!

CorradoVR6-Turbo

Number of posts : 104

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:34 pm

CorradoVR6-Turbo wrote:very good mate,you must have a stedy hand!
Perhaps, doesn't really require too much of a steady hand, but to be fair this one is far better than the one I did for mine! Rolling Eyes Working out how it the daughter card is supposed to wire into the main board has been required a little investigation and WILL require some fiddling and moving some to the components on the main board to the back rather than the front! I'm hoping to have it all ready to go back darn sarth with Mrs B's brother by Thursday, ready for Cole to wire up to his valver.

That reminds me. Cole, do you want me to do solder some lengths of wires on the the DB39 connector, to help you do the loom? Oh, and you'll also need to drill some holes in the case for the EGT thermocouple leads as well.

Not sure if you know this (I didn't as the daughter board has changed) but it will also do knock detection (from what I can tell) with an extra LED output, and also sequential shift lights (like the JSB shiftlight kit I did), fan control, a second EGO sensor (prolly not needed for valvers), launch control, and a separate map table switch...á la BMW 'M' button!! How cool would that be Drool
mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:26 pm

mrbeige wrote:
CorradoVR6-Turbo wrote:very good mate,you must have a stedy hand!
Perhaps, doesn't really require too much of a steady hand, but to be fair this one is far better than the one I did for mine! Rolling Eyes Working out how it the daughter card is supposed to wire into the main board has been required a little investigation and WILL require some fiddling and moving some to the components on the main board to the back rather than the front! I'm hoping to have it all ready to go back darn sarth with Mrs B's brother by Thursday, ready for Cole to wire up to his valver.

That reminds me. Cole, do you want me to do solder some lengths of wires on the the DB39 connector, to help you do the loom? Oh, and you'll also need to drill some holes in the case for the EGT thermocouple leads as well.

Not sure if you know this (I didn't as the daughter board has changed) but it will also do knock detection (from what I can tell) with an extra LED output, and also sequential shift lights (like the JSB shiftlight kit I did), fan control, a second EGO sensor (prolly not needed for valvers), launch control, and a separate map table switch...á la BMW 'M' button!! How cool would that be Drool

ErrI need to know more about this board COP?
WIll it call the police if i speed?
How does the knock detection work?
Will it only work with the Extra code variants?
Got any links?
Is this the long awaited general i/o board?
Cool

Eagerly yours...
dirtytorque
dirtytorque

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:16 am

Well, the knock detection is something I didn't have on the daughter board that I bought, when I recommended it to Cole, so I'm not overly sure about that. It is a board done by error* on the MSExtra forum, and they are sold by Glen's garage. I started a thread in the MS section on here, with some linkies Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by saysomestuff Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:09 am

mrbeige wrote:
Yes please mate, just to get me started. Need to get an EGT sensor too don't i?

mrbeige wrote:

Yeah knew about the knock, launch and switch - didn't know about the fan control, was fretting about that earlier - happy with anything that simplifies the rest of the loom!

I was going to use the map switching for LPG but a more aggressive map on a button might be cool - although technically speaking Pedant a decent map should be frugal when you're driving normal and hardcore when you boot it so I might not need it.

saysomestuff

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:25 am

saysomestuff wrote:
mrbeige wrote:
Yes please mate, just to get me started. Need to get an EGT sensor too don't i?

mrbeige wrote:

Yeah knew about the knock, launch and switch - didn't know about the fan control, was fretting about that earlier - happy with anything that simplifies the rest of the loom!

I was going to use the map switching for LPG but a more aggressive map on a button might be cool - although technically speaking Pedant a decent map should be frugal when you're driving normal and hardcore when you boot it so I might not need it.
Yep, you'll need an EGT sensor. I wont put holes in the case for the wires, as I wont know what diameter to do them.

Yep, I agree, re the map, and as you say, a good map will be efficient anyway.

Re the fan control, that BIG loom I have in my garage has all the fan control wiring still in place, but I guess having MS control the fan is probably a good thing.
mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:39 am

So what's the progress then dude? You managed to get those Viper calipers on?
mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:42 am

Serious on the calipers?
junkie
junkie
.:Bored:.
.:Bored:.

Male Number of posts : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next