OddUnit
attaching toothed wheel to crank pulley Cooltext403300291

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OddUnit
attaching toothed wheel to crank pulley Cooltext403300291
OddUnit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

attaching toothed wheel to crank pulley

5 posters

Go down

attaching toothed wheel to crank pulley Empty attaching toothed wheel to crank pulley

Post by dirtytorque Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:17 pm

Would just welding one on cause balancing issues ?
dirtytorque
dirtytorque
.:Charged:.

Number of posts : 1101

Back to top Go down

attaching toothed wheel to crank pulley Empty Re: attaching toothed wheel to crank pulley

Post by junkie Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:32 pm

Thats what mine has been done like Rob, all i know is they sent it away but im not sure if it was to be welded properly or balanced.
junkie
junkie
.:Bored:.
.:Bored:.

Male Number of posts : 376

Back to top Go down

attaching toothed wheel to crank pulley Empty Re: attaching toothed wheel to crank pulley

Post by JNLRacing Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:03 pm

yes it will need balancing. As should anything that is changed to the rotating assembly.

JNLRacing
.:Cammed:.

Number of posts : 205

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:12 pm

You could get one of those Lupo toothed wheel sensors. They mount behind the flywheel. No balancing issues, and no scavenging of power...
mrbeige
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:13 pm

Like this.....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mrbeige
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:26 pm

JNLRacing wrote:yes it will need balancing. As should anything that is changed to the rotating assembly.

would it just be the pulley itself that would need balencing rather than the whole crank assembly?

the lupo is another option in the back of my mind.
probably the cleanest..
dirtytorque
dirtytorque

Number of posts : 1101

Back to top Go down

Post by andydavy Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:43 pm

I don't think that welding a toothed trigger wheel to the crank pulley will cause any balancing issues as long as it's done well. i.e. the welds are symmetric and the wheel is mounted perpendicular to the crank pulley axis.
There's also so little mass in a trigger wheel and it needs to be concentric to the crankshaft axis to give a reliable signal to the VR sensor that I can't see it creating any significant source of vibration.

andydavy
.:Standard:.
.:Standard:.

Male Number of posts : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by JNLRacing Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:11 am

In order to balance the pulley you need to balance it to a crank but if you are going for a zero balance on a two up two down 4 pot it doesn't have to be balanced to yours in particular any crank that is on the shelf already balanced will suffice.

^^^^ @andydavy yes in a realistic world that is the case, but remember that vag front pulleys are harmonic dampener which means they are more sensitive to weight changes.

JNLRacing

Number of posts : 205

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down