OddUnit
How do you go widetrack on an early Corrado Cooltext403300291

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OddUnit
How do you go widetrack on an early Corrado Cooltext403300291
OddUnit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you go widetrack on an early Corrado

+5
Flusted
Toad
davidwort
mrbeige
junkie
9 posters

Go down

How do you go widetrack on an early Corrado Empty How do you go widetrack on an early Corrado

Post by junkie Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:52 pm

I wanna know how to go widetrack on an early Corrado?

[Mod Edit]Good question...worthy of it's own thread. Beigy
junkie
junkie
.:Bored:.

Male Number of posts : 376

Back to top Go down

How do you go widetrack on an early Corrado Empty Re: How do you go widetrack on an early Corrado

Post by mrbeige Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:10 pm

I'd be quite interested to know. I've seen the same 'conversion' done on mk2 Golfs too. Would it be a case of using Corrado VR subframe, ARB, wishbones, hubs, steering rack, and rear axle?
mrbeige
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

How do you go widetrack on an early Corrado Empty Re: How do you go widetrack on an early Corrado

Post by junkie Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:40 pm

Cheers dude..
junkie
junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by davidwort Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:30 pm

mrbeige wrote:I'd be quite interested to know. I've seen the same 'conversion' done on mk2 Golfs too. Would it be a case of using Corrado VR subframe, ARB, wishbones, hubs, steering rack, and rear axle?
yep, sounds like the right list, but a mk3 GTI would be a good starting point and far more easy to come by, in fact an MOT failure mk3 2.0GTI went by me a while back and I just didn't think, d'oh. Could have had it for a hundred quid, that would have 288's on it too Rolling Eyes
damn, you've just given me a major project to think about now, Laughing
I'll check this out in more detail, but I'm sure the mk3 GTI, 16v and VR share all the Corrado VR plus axle bits, front and rear.
My Mrs is going to love me, I think I may just be breaking a mk3 on my drive in the near future Very Happy

davidwort
.:Standard:.

Number of posts : 29

Back to top Go down

Post by Toad Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:53 pm

I almost bought some corrado VR wishbones off ebay the other day. Aparently they should also fit Mk3 VRs, 16vs and several 8v variants. Wouldn't be the end of the world to go 5 stud on the 16v I suppose? Few more brake options...
Toad
Toad
.:Mod:.

Number of posts : 411

Back to top Go down

Post by Flusted Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:20 am

I done it on mine once, will post details later
Flusted
Flusted
.:Cammed:.

Male Number of posts : 230

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:03 am

Flusted wrote:I done it on mine once, will post details later
I'm still waiting Aid....

Seriously though, resurrecting this thread, as there was a question of CF about the difference between the early and late.

[EDIT]So, who thinks going wide-track on an early Corrado would be a good idea, and does that mean changing the front wings/bonnet/slam panel etc?? I can see the advantages, but would it be a worthwhile change? I'm just thinking about improving handling other than the obvious.
mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:22 pm

2nd still????
junkie
junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by monkey Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:51 am

I'm not too sure if there is a difference between going widetrack on a corrado to a golf. But I nearly done it to my other halfs old mk2vr.

All you gotta swap is the wishbones, steering rack, driveshafts, arbs and hubs. You can keep your subframe as the rack will bolt up ok.

For the rear you could go full rear beam, but most of the mk2s I heard about just put on mk3 rear discs (for the 5 stud) and spacers.
monkey
monkey

Male Number of posts : 18

http://www.gmvw.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:09 am

monkey wrote:For the rear you could go full rear beam, but most of the mk2s I heard about just put on mk3 rear discs (for the 5 stud) and spacers.
Problem with that is you will be movin the fulcrum point on the rear stub axles and thus you'll more likely go through bearings a little more quickly.
mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by monkey Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:17 am

Too true.

How much wider is wide track anyway?
monkey
monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:54 am

Depends where you get the info as I've seen a few different track widths!

From what I've seen, the rear track is the same on 4 and 6 pot Rados / Golfs but the VR6 is 10mm wider track (per side) at the front.

It's a bit more involved than simply pushing the wheels out 10mm. The benefit of widetrack comes from the longer wishbones, ball joint position and ARB drop links mounted much further out. It's all based around leverage and roll centres blah blah....keeps the car flatter round bends.

kevhaywire
.:Stroked:.

Number of posts : 605

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:01 am

cm each side.
Not sure i'd bother.Ok it's another tick in the box for a VR but not sure i'd want to go to the trouble on a g60/valver.
dirtytorque
dirtytorque
.:Charged:.

Number of posts : 1101

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:53 am

1cm doesn't sound a lot, but you only have to look at F1 and BTCC to see that in suspension geometry terms, small numbers can make a huge difference!

I agree though, having driven 4 & 6 Pot Golfs/Corrados, I wouldn't bother either if I had a 4 pot Very Happy

The trouble is VW didn't do much to compliment the wide track, such as more caster. More caster, proper rear wishbone bushes and a better wishbone angle would transform the Corrado.....but with every gain, there's always a loss, always the way!

kevhaywire

Number of posts : 605

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:07 am

actually reading my last comment again it seems a bit negative and maybe not in the spirit of things on here and the post and i don't want to be responsible for killing another thread. Very Happy

I think my project is getting to me and making me grumpy and bad minded. Smile
dirtytorque
dirtytorque

Number of posts : 1101

Back to top Go down

Post by monkey Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:19 am

kevhaywire wrote: small numbers can make a huge difference!

Been telling my girlfriend that for years... lol!
monkey
monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:51 am

kevhaywire wrote:1cm doesn't sound a lot, but you only have to look at F1 and BTCC to see that in suspension geometry terms, small numbers can make a huge difference!
It's not just an extended track though, is it. The bottom ball joints angle inwards, thus the wishbone is probably even longer still.
mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by CorradoVR6-Turbo Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:14 pm

you can also fit these rear spacers to the rear axel like i had on my mk2,saves looking for a VR axel!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

CorradoVR6-Turbo

Number of posts : 104

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down