OddUnit
2.9 or not 2.9, that is the question.... Cooltext403300291

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OddUnit
2.9 or not 2.9, that is the question.... Cooltext403300291
OddUnit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2.9 or not 2.9, that is the question....

2 posters

Go down

2.9 or not 2.9, that is the question.... Empty 2.9 or not 2.9, that is the question....

Post by mrbeige Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:00 pm

Right, so end of August I will finally be doing the chains on the Golf, but I have a suspicion that the AAA engine's valve guides and stem seals are fubarred. On overrun I get a puff of smoke from the exhaust (noticed it in Dartford tunnel, when doing the obligatory 'windows down and gunning it in 2nd' manoeuvre Laughing ). Furthermore, it's using a fair amount of oil, perhaps a litre every 1500miles. I've had the offer of Mic's ABV that has recently come out of his Corrado, and was wondering if it would be the right thing to do to use that instead? Would it be a good idea to check the compression on the AAA in the meantime, to make sure that it's not something more serious than stem seal and guides?

Next question would be is there any reason not to go for the 2.9? Would it be better to stick with the 2.8? Both engines will require chains to be done.

Do the 12v VRs suffer from easily worn main bearings? I know that the 24vs don't particularly.

Questions questions questions...
mrbeige
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

2.9 or not 2.9, that is the question.... Empty Re: 2.9 or not 2.9, that is the question....

Post by kevhaywire Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:52 am

I've yet to see a regularly maintained 12V with f'cked main bearings.

Shagged big ends, then yeah, they can go quite easily if people corner hard with low oil levels.

Why not just make one engine out of the 2? The capacity and origins are completely irrelevant tbh!

kevhaywire
.:Stroked:.

Number of posts : 605

Back to top Go down

2.9 or not 2.9, that is the question.... Empty Re: 2.9 or not 2.9, that is the question....

Post by mrbeige Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:26 am

kevhaywire wrote:The capacity and origins are completely irrelevant tbh!

That's what I wanted to hear. Just need to make sure I make one good one, and that's it really, I guess. 100cc wouldn't make that much difference, surely?
mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:09 am

Under normal driving conditions, I've never really noticed any difference between the Corrado and Golf VR6 performance wise, except OBD2 Golfs, they pull a lot better at the bottom end than both OBD1 2.8 and 2.9s.

The Corrado has a bit more pull past 4000rpm, it definitely has the edge on the Golf from there. Also aided by the Rado's far better aerodynamics Very Happy

kevhaywire

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:41 am

Making one good engine from the two seems like the way to go.

Does OBD2 respond better to remaps then? Our Golf is OBD2 Wink
mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:50 am

Yep.

It also tells you a lot more in VAG-COM too, such as air mass, knock activity etc etc. OBD1 tells you hardly anything.

kevhaywire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down