OddUnit
JMC's 1.9l G60 - Page 4 Cooltext403300291

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OddUnit
JMC's 1.9l G60 - Page 4 Cooltext403300291
OddUnit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JMC's 1.9l G60

+8
James H
ctwg60
Toad
dirtytorque
junkie
mic_VR
mrbeige
jmc
12 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

JMC's 1.9l G60 - Page 4 Empty Re: JMC's 1.9l G60

Post by ctwg60 Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:32 pm

I don't really know what to make of your results. Hmmm! Neutral How is your airbox modified? Is it really loud?

ctwg60
.:Stroked:.

Number of posts : 770

Back to top Go down

Post by jmc Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:50 pm

It is louder than standard but not hugely so, and attached is a pic (although I have been running a paper filter for ages).
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
jmc
jmc
.:Bored:.

Male Number of posts : 271

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:56 pm

Just scanned trough Jezza's thread on CF and he tried a number of things to get more power, larger diameter exhaust, methanol injection etc but as you say found power from more free air!! I think I'll be buying a a 2nd airbox to play with.

ctwg60

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:58 am

That makes sense that you get a good chunk of torque at top end Jonathan: Prodigal has done the same thing on his G60 and he says it pulls better top end too. His is standard apart from a small pulley and possible Stg 4-ness.
boost panda
boost panda

Number of posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:09 am

Yeah just as I expected really, the gains are all at the top end. Good work though! More people should do what you do rather than taking peoples' word for it!

Nice chop job! Unfortunately it does let a lot of crap in from the wheel arch, which is the pain to balance the pleasure Very Happy

kevhaywire

Number of posts : 605

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:49 am

Found your air filter test on CF weird the paper filter out performs the KnN Filter. I'll be swapping that as well at head swap time. Rolling Eyes Good Work!

ctwg60

Back to top Go down

Post by jmc Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:53 am

I've found with mine it's not too bad Kev - I even have a tube coming up from behind the lower grill. Even with that, after nearly a year the air filter still looks pretty good.

I must admit that was an odd one CTW - although it something Darren had mentioned to me. He was always adamant that the standard paper filter was better than the K&N panel filters for the G60. So as I had both I tried it, and yes it seemed to be right. To be honest my K&N was not new/perfectly clean, but even so the difference was pretty striking.

While I was at SRR we did a bit of a naughty experiment as well (never to be repeated) - no filter but with the standard airbox. I made virtually no difference, showing how good the paper filters do flow.
jmc
jmc

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:58 am

jmc wrote:While I was at SRR we did a bit of a naughty experiment as well (never to be repeated) - no filter but with the standard airbox. I made virtually no difference, showing how good the paper filters do flow.

Wow! So I wonder if that is because of the airbox restriction or was it cut then during that experiment? Do you get a discount at SRR or do you pay in kind! Rub

ctwg60

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:15 am

ctwg60 wrote:
jmc wrote:While I was at SRR we did a bit of a naughty experiment as well (never to be repeated) - no filter but with the standard airbox. I made virtually no difference, showing how good the paper filters do flow.

Wow! So I wonder if that is because of the airbox restriction or was it cut then during that experiment? Do you get a discount at SRR or do you pay in kind! Rub

LOL
Very Happy
dirtytorque
dirtytorque
.:Charged:.

Number of posts : 1101

Back to top Go down

Post by jmc Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:33 am

ctwg60 wrote:

Arf arf.... No I had 2 airboxes - one cut and one completely original, so I was just swapping them over. Did cut with filter, then uncut with filter, and then uncut no filter. Basically no difference between uncut with and without filters.

Anyway all thats a bit academic at the moment. Just tried fixing a 'small oil leak' from one of my senders on top of the oil filter bracket. I now have a split oil filter bracket and have just had a tow to the garage. I'm hoping the oil filter brackets are still available Crying or Very sad
jmc
jmc

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:05 pm

We have 2 G60 blocks here if you need a bracket FOC. I'll see if it's in good nick.
boost panda
boost panda

Number of posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post by jmc Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:21 pm

Thank Jon. I managed to get it to my garage tonight and they will let me know tomorrow whether they can get the part. If I'm struggling I'll let you know Very Happy
jmc
jmc

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:27 pm

How did you get on at the RR on Saturday, Jonathan?

P.S. thanks for their number Smile
mrbeige
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jmc Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:48 pm

Only about 220bhp on the roller Stu. Strange given we had got 248 at Stealth 4 days previous, with no obvious difference with the performance. It does feel a bit weird since the remap though - running rich (plugs were black even after a few days), and idle dropping very low. Didn't notice it at the time but it has started to play up when cold. Vince is sending me over a copy of my previous map so I can swap it over and see whats going on (just to make sure it isn't something else). Very puzzling though, since as far as I can tell the idle shouldn't be affected by the remap.

There was one major improvement though. Since the last run (and as part of the remap) I've rerouted the isv into the inlet pipe, as I'm trying to track down where my missing boost has gone. Either doing that or the map has cured my weird drop in mid range torque I used to see after the 1st run on the rolling road. Given the number of remaps it's had in the past, none of which has cured the torque drop I am more inclined to believe it's the isv reroute than the remap that has cured it. Also the big exhaust gained me nothing on the remap. Looks like 2.5" on even a wildly tuned G60 is a bit of over kill.
jmc
jmc

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:26 pm

just sounds like ye-olde blue temp sender to me mate.
telling the ecu the car is colder than it is.
ISV still buzzing away?
dirtytorque
dirtytorque

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:31 pm

I have to agree with Rob, sounds like a suspicious temp sender.

I'm a little surprised about the exhaust though, I'd have expected that to make at least some difference.
mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by jmc Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:29 pm

Hmm, thanks guys, will check tomorrow when I swap the map back to the old one (when everything did work normally). If it is something like that it is a massive coincidence.

Yeah I was surprised by the exhaust too. With my system didnn't seem to make a difference. Vince did mention that the injectors were pretty much maxed out again at the top end, so maybe that was holding it back. He really, really didn't want to concider using the 440's though....
jmc
jmc

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:57 am

jmc wrote: Vince did mention that the injectors were pretty much maxed out again at the top end, so maybe that was holding it back. He really, really didn't want to concider using the 440's though....

why?

Did you not ask?
dirtytorque
dirtytorque

Back to top Go down

Post by jmc Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:58 am

dirtytorque wrote:
jmc wrote: Vince did mention that the injectors were pretty much maxed out again at the top end, so maybe that was holding it back. He really, really didn't want to concider using the 440's though....

why?

Did you not ask?

It was because of trying to get a stable idle out of them - he thought they were just too big for the engine size and the amount they would be flowing when on tick over.
jmc
jmc

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:00 am

Yeah, but a slightly lumpy idle is much better than a lean top end, surely? What size injectors are on there at the mo? 360cc?
mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:09 am

i'll post a video of my idle if you like.
rock.
Solid.14.5-14.7 afr.
2.3 msec pulsewidth which is fine.
More than enough time for the injector to open properly.
ta.

idles at about 950-1k
dirtytorque
dirtytorque

Back to top Go down

Post by jmc Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:08 am

mrbeige wrote:Yeah, but a slightly lumpy idle is much better than a lean top end, surely? What size injectors are on there at the mo? 360cc?

Red tops on there at the moment - 315 (or 325) from memory.

Thanks DT, but don't worry about the video, if you say it can be done, I'm sure it can be done. From the way he was talking about it, he would rather have removed his own bits with a rusty knife than fitted the 440's. Personally I would like something in between if needed though (something around 360 would be ideal) as a 30% increase in size seems huge.
jmc
jmc

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:17 am

If you were already running 360s then the 440s would be the natural step up, but the 360s would defo help the top end. That may be what's holding you back a bit.

Do all G60s idle that high?
mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:19 am

mrbeige wrote:
Do all G60s idle that high?
It's just where I have set mine.
My standard one doesn't.
about 750-800 I think.

Well If he is not comfortable doing something you have to respect that,if you can get something inbetween then great. Cool
dirtytorque
dirtytorque

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:30 am

I'll be fitting lucas/denso type 440cc injectors when I change the head I'll report back on the idle. I've looked at some brake specific fuel charts and 440cc with an FI intercooled 4 pot should be good for about 270bhp on 3 bar @ 90% duty cycle so 80% which is the safest duty cycle would bring that down to around 250bhp. My car been dynod at 230bhp and 216bhp and the injectors where said to be about done on 3 bar. I'll be changing the fuel pump just incase it's weak.

Thing about changing injectors is he would have to do an entire remap of every cell rather than just tweak the existing map! Or maybe he is right and the green top bosch injectors would be bad/ I really don't know!

800rpm is stock idle.

ctwg60

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum: