OddUnit

DIrtyTorque's odd corner.

Page 26 of 27 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Go down

Re: DIrtyTorque's odd corner.

Post by dirtytorque on Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:42 pm

Wired up the knocksense kick I bought over a year ago.
Fairly simple as I left all the necessary wires when I installed my MS loom.Nit interfaced it to the ecu yet.Just connected it to power and the knock sensor and used the led it came with to test for knock by knocking the block a few times with a hammer while the engine ran.Led came on when I clubbed the engine and stayed off while i revved the engine so it has past the first somewhat crude test. Cool
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
dirtytorque
.:Charged:.

Number of posts : 1101

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque on Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:38 pm

interfaced the knocksense box to megasquirt and ran the engine while twatting the engine with a hammer.In the name of science. Smile

The red line is the amount of spark retard at a given moment in time.
For every knock event the system is set to retard the timing by 3 degrees so at the point where i have the log set you can see i hit the engine three times in short sucession as the amount of overall ignition retard is nine degrees.This figure is deducted from the amount of ignition advance that would be running under normal combustion conditions.You can see the rpm dropped slightly when the igniton timing was pulled along with the engine pulling slightly less vacuum(The blue line).The green line represents the actual amount of ignition timing seen at the flywheel.
Once a given time period has elapsed MS starts advancing the timing back towards the point where detonation occured,if det happens again then the whole cycle starts again.Usual stuff.

The pink line at the bottom is the afr ratio,which wasn't really effected a great deal for this test.I am interested to see if there is a correlation between EGT's and det when i do some real driving testing once I get the car taxed this week.
dirtytorque

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque on Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:19 am

Bought tax on Friday so went out for some fun today.
Before I left I added in 3 degrees of timing in 3/4 of my ignition advance table.From previous testing I knew this was enough to make the car pink under heavy boost and load.So as soon as i got some national speed limit roads I opened the taps.On a couple of occasions the Knock indication LED in the cabin came on pretty much under the conditions that I expeted.I was accelerating hard up a slight gradient with the throttle cranked open with the charger pumping into the engine.
On the log below you can see that the advance table was trying to run about 32 degrees of advance btdc in the given rpm and boost pressure range that the engine was operating in.This got wound down to about 20 degrees btdc,at which point no more knock occured.(The red curve shows the knock events.More specifically it shows the amout of retardation that is being subtracted from the ignition tables current value).
Blue line= boost.yellow line= rpm,pink line air/fuel ratio and green = ignition advance.
Really happy with the system as with the aid of the log files you can get an accurate reading of where your engine is knock limited and by how much.Would be interesting to see if something like aquamist could "quench the fire".

Also mounted the fan controller prototype in the bay.Want to modify it so it completely controls and moderates engine temps constantly noy just in an on/off type affair as it does now.
dirtytorque

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige on Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:04 am

Nice work dude.

Can you feel the difference of that additional 3degrees of advance when not knock retarding? Is suppose having the knock sense gives you a little more confidence with how agressive you can be with the mapping?

£300 Corrado 1.8 16v
The good lady wife's Golf VR
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

View user profile http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque on Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:43 am

mrbeige wrote:Nice work dude.

Can you feel the difference of that additional 3degrees of advance when not knock retarding? Is suppose having the knock sense gives you a little more confidence with how agressive you can be with the mapping?

I can mate yes.
As u know the closer you can skate to the knock limit the better.I have run this bit of extra timing before and i know that it adds a bit of extra urgency to the engine but it use to come with the sound of det ringing sometimes.
The knock sensor is picking up the det even before I hear it,i.e not letting it get out of hand.
I'm going to wind back the timing in some areas where its retartding the timing heavily so that it doesn't have to retard it quite so much but still get close to the limit if you see what I mean.
One of the best mods yet tbh.And yes it is another safety feature too. Smile
dirtytorque

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire on Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:55 am

Good work! That system seems to work really well!

I wonder if a dual channel version of that could work with my DTA? Cool
Does it use standard VW knock sensors?

Interestingly enough, around 20 degrees seems to be the preferred timing in boost with a lot of VWs, VRTs included, and indeed my old 16V T.

I can push mine to 22 deg @15psi, but with a passenger or more weight, it can start to det in the summer. The engine is smoother running less timing anway, so I'd rather be smooth and safe than rough and on the edge!

kevhaywire
.:Stroked:.

Number of posts : 605

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque on Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:16 pm

kevhaywire wrote:Good work! That system seems to work really well!

I wonder if a dual channel version of that could work with my DTA? Cool
Does it use standard VW knock sensors?

Interestingly enough, around 20 degrees seems to be the preferred timing in boost with a lot of VWs, VRTs included, and indeed my old 16V T.

I can push mine to 22 deg @15psi, but with a passenger or more weight, it can start to det in the summer. The engine is smoother running less timing anway, so I'd rather be smooth and safe than rough and on the edge!

Thnks,just need some rolling road validation but I am feeling quite positive about how it feels on the road.
We shall see if that bears out with some healthy numbers.
Its nice to know that from your previous experiences those retardation numbers make sense.I am in the 20'slater on in the map rev range but looks like I have to take some timing out a bit further down.I imagine power starts to fall quite rapidly once you get improper combustion.

I have emailed the guy to say thnks for the product and I asked if it would work with DTA.I guess he would need what sort of signal the DTA would expect to see to let it know that Det is occuring.

yes I have used a standard bosch Vw knock sensor and cable.I've used a Vr one actually as I had one to hand.The little knock sense unit has two inputs.
Signal and shield.The black and yellow are the shield and the white is the signal.
installation is trivial and the unit itself is matchbox size.
dirtytorque

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jmc on Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:34 am

May be a daft suggestion Rob, but have you tried fitting 1 range colder spark plugs to address the knocking?
jmc
.:Bored:.

Male Number of posts : 271

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque on Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:50 am

jmc wrote:May be a daft suggestion Rob, but have you tried fitting 1 range colder spark plugs to address the knocking?
Not really as Kev said the timing in the boost area was abit heavy,maybe worth considering though.I'm currently using audi s2 plugs.
Maybe colder plugs and or an aquamist system may help quelch things down a bit.
dirtytorque

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jmc on Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:52 am

Ah, ok mate, just thought I would mention it as it would be a damn site cheaper than Aquamisting it. That should definately help. Have you got EGT up and running?
jmc

Male Number of posts : 271

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque on Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:00 pm

EGT's at the time of knock were about 600 ish so ...
manifold intake temps were a bit warm
50 degrees. Evil or Very Mad
Something I have noticed with this car actually..the intake temps.

dirtytorque

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire on Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:20 am

Wow, that's low EGT Very Happy Mine's in the 800s on boost, mind you it is a turbo Laughing

S2 plugs are brilliant, they are not the cause of the det. Bosch F5DPOR right? I use those in mine.

50 deg intake however, is a slight concern. Do you have timing pull in the air temp compensation map for safety? I start pulling timing at 45 deg C intake, starting with -1 deg, to -12 deg by 120 deg C!

Not that you'll ever see 120 deg intake temp, but what I have noticed is when filling up with gas after a good run, the massive heatsoak from the engine starts baking things and after pulling onto the dual carriageway again, intake temp can be as high as 75 deg C this time of year! Doesn't take long to fall back down to 10-15 above ambient, so it's just a safety measure in case you forget and give it full beans joining the motorway, LOL!

What size intercooler do you have? My mate had troubles with his MK4 1.8T on the dyno. He's got an uprated side mount (bigger and ally end cans) but that went from ambient to 60 deg C in 2 runs!! ME7 starts really yanking the timing out at that temp and power fell 20hp.

Anyway, food for thought....

My DTA just needs a 0-5V signal, so thanks for looking into that!

kevhaywire

Number of posts : 605

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque on Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:53 pm

I wasn't running any intake temp retard but I hve dialed in some now just take take the edge off a bit when things get warm.
The problem with g60 is heatsoak.
I can't helpbut think that sucking air from a hot enginebay can't help either

Do people think a chargecooler in series with a front mount would be inefficient?
dirtytorque

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:43 am

Isn't a charge-cooler supposed to deal with heat soak better than an inter-cooler? I'd think that it would be better to have one or the other, rather than both. Perhaps a misting spray on the inter-cooler might be useful??

£300 Corrado 1.8 16v
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque on Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:00 am

tbh though i was stuck in a really really bad jam this am on the m4.
The under bonnet temps got to 40 degrees.God knows what the inlet temps were.
How much more Gubbins will i need under the bonnet for a charge cooler?
dirtytorque

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige on Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:06 am

Water reservoir, pre-rad, pump, charge-cooler itself, I guess

£300 Corrado 1.8 16v
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque on Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:05 am

commuted to work in it last week.
much more fun than the golf.Well when sat in rush hour it's the same as the golf,but way more fun on the move lol.
dirtytorque

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige on Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:14 am

So, how about a 16vg60 with turbo?

£300 Corrado 1.8 16v
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque on Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:42 am

took it for its MOT got a ticket for another year then sorn'd it.
I need to tighten my belt for a few months so i'm doing un-car related things att so i don't get drawn into spending. Sad

Need more disposable income. Neutral
dirtytorque

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige on Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:17 am

No need. Gonna be very quiet on here then Sad

Not got any winter projects in mind then?

£300 Corrado 1.8 16v
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque on Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:54 pm

ughh!! no.
It's official.I am poor. Laughing
dirtytorque

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yandards on Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:33 am

I have a load of stuff I would like to do over the winter, it will come down to money though... Smile

Got some jobs I can do that won't cost me anything like the brake caliper overhaul (already have the spares) but the rear beam/back end overhaul is £250 worth of new fasteners etc and that's without the labour or the cost of the dip galvanising powdercoating. Sad

Yandards
.:Cammed:.
.:Cammed:.

Number of posts : 163

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque on Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:04 am

yeah same really.I would like to do some relatively small things i.e breath my head and re-do my exhasut as i am not happy with it.And do some general tidying etc.
We'll see how it goes.Other things have to take a priority 1st.
Wanna do a vocational exam (ccna) and get a new job.
dirtytorque

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige on Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:06 am

Well, I'm sure there is stuff you can do over winter. Once you done a few 'projects' you tend to have a variety of 'left-overs' that you can use for fiddling with.

CCNA sounds like a plan. Recognised and industry standard qualification, that's for sure. I'm looking at doing a welding course locally, over the winter. Will get a MIG to aid the practising Smile

£300 Corrado 1.8 16v
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque on Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:31 am

I like working with metal too very rewarding
Very differcult mind.A hard skill to learn never mind master I have found.Good for someone who enjoys working with cars mind. Smile
I want to do some more welding in the winter too.
I want a lot of things Razz
dirtytorque

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 27 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27  Next