OddUnit
Twin wishbones at the front please! - Page 3 Cooltext403300291

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OddUnit
Twin wishbones at the front please! - Page 3 Cooltext403300291
OddUnit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twin wishbones at the front please!

4 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Twin wishbones at the front please! - Page 3 Empty Re: Twin wishbones at the front please!

Post by Yandards Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:52 am

boost panda wrote:So, the OU seems to be a little dead at the mo :/

What is everyone up to? I'm married now, and starting to allow myself a Corrado budget each month, perhaps £100. It will be slow getting started again as I need to fix the crane before I even take the dead KR out.

I'm looking forward to getting it back on the road though. I'm starting to miss it, which is good as I have motivation(!)

Post up a quick update of any mini projects you're into right now Very Happy

Nothing aside from getting shot of the nugget as I can't afford to run 2 and keep them in the condition I want.

Anyone want to buy a nugget G60?

Yandards
.:Cammed:.

Number of posts : 163

Back to top Go down

Twin wishbones at the front please! - Page 3 Empty Re: Twin wishbones at the front please!

Post by boost panda Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:04 pm

Swap you half a burgundy 16v?
boost panda
boost panda
.:Bored:.

Number of posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post by Yandards Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:20 am

boost panda wrote:Swap you half a burgundy 16v?

No deal.. you jocolor

Yandards

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:35 am

Very Happy

Yan, you'll know this. How am I supposed to get out the 2 centre exhaust manifold bolts on the lower side? When they're new, you can wiggle the nuts off th studs a little and slide the manifold off the corresponding amount, and then repeat until the nuts are off. But now mine are properly corroded. I'm really just trying to get the head off to see if I can re-use it or whether that has warped along with the block.
boost panda
boost panda

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:53 am

Married!! Kiss goodbye to your car modding career Laughing

Congrats though!

My mini project at the moment is putting together some kind of engine to stick in the corrado! I was going 24V Turbo but the basic AUE 2.8 I've got proved to be a little too basic and America never got that engine, so aftermarket parts for it just don't exist.

Then I decided to rebuild the 12V Turbo but thought better of it.

So long story short, I happened upon a MK5 R32 engine with virtually no miles on it and did a deal with some old 12V Turbo parts.

I can see why so many R32 conversions end up getting sold on so quick. They are a frickin nightmare. Not so much getting the thing in the car, but rather the countless and subtle differences between the 24Vs that can really throw spanners in the works.

I'll update my thread when I can bothered and it people can be equally bothered to read it Laughing

kevhaywire
.:Stroked:.

Number of posts : 605

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:06 am

Marriage? Pah, I laugh at your 'marriage' and raise you a 'baby on the way'!

I've long kissed my car modding career goodbye now......

Kev, I just hope you don't end up selling after fitting the R32. I wonder if it's actually easier to start off with a complete donor car, rather than engine and 'bits'....
mrbeige
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:13 am

Yeah me too but I have a bit more staying power than some people Very Happy

Did Mic sell his 24V in the end? That car drove really well!

Yeah defo easier to just buy a complete donor car! I suppose the only advantage of cobbling an engine together is you learn a lot more than you otherwise would!

kevhaywire

Number of posts : 605

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:52 am

kevhaywire wrote:Married!! Kiss goodbye to your car modding career Laughing

Congrats though!

My mini project at the moment is putting together some kind of engine to stick in the corrado! I was going 24V Turbo but the basic AUE 2.8 I've got proved to be a little too basic and America never got that engine, so aftermarket parts for it just don't exist.

Then I decided to rebuild the 12V Turbo but thought better of it.

So long story short, I happened upon a MK5 R32 engine with virtually no miles on it and did a deal with some old 12V Turbo parts.

I can see why so many R32 conversions end up getting sold on so quick. They are a frickin nightmare. Not so much getting the thing in the car, but rather the countless and subtle differences between the 24Vs that can really throw spanners in the works.

I'll update my thread when I can bothered and it people can be equally bothered to read it Laughing

Great to hear the updates, cheers FishWire.

Yeah I'm getting royally slagged off just for doing weekly maintenance on my Golf daily, let alone finding a few hours a week for the Corrado!

I do enjoy your updates Kev, mainly as they come with a wealth of information as opposed to some numpty just throwing up pictures and letting other people comment.

I am (very slowly) working on a CAD model of at least the Corrado engine bay, and then ancilliaries to work out clearances and stuff. Not needed really, as most people have swapped any and all engines into the C by now, but it's more a pet project.

I am still sorely torn between a 20vt and a TDI engine as mentioned in the Plum thread. Both will be fun in their own way, and then if I won the lottery I would do the opposite conversion to the Golf and use the diesel as the commuter.
boost panda
boost panda

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:53 am

mrbeige wrote:Marriage? Pah, I laugh at your 'marriage' and raise you a 'baby on the way'!

I've long kissed my car modding career goodbye now......

Kev, I just hope you don't end up selling after fitting the R32. I wonder if it's actually easier to start off with a complete donor car, rather than engine and 'bits'....

So the 16vt is fully dead now? :/ sorry to hear that Stu. It's been very close to selling the Corrado recently. My missus says she loves the golf, but if I'm restoring the C then the golf has to go and SHE wants a Nissan Figaro!

omg.

o m g.
boost panda
boost panda

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:57 am

kevhaywire wrote:Yeah me too but I have a bit more staying power than some people Very Happy

Did Mic sell his 24V in the end? That car drove really well!

Yeah defo easier to just buy a complete donor car! I suppose the only advantage of cobbling an engine together is you learn a lot more than you otherwise would!

I think Mic needed more money for turtle necks, or something like that. Neutral

I drove Ziderapple's 24V before he emigrated and that seems to have instant torque but flatlined around 3000rpm. He said it needed a remap though.

tbh, I think with a little bit of CAD design and monkey modelling I could knock up a 4-pot to 24V conversion kit. At least on the computer!
boost panda
boost panda

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:09 am

Just to add, after some research on overhauling my dead crane, it seems that 80% of the money of a crane is actually the jack so me repairing this crane may be a false economy!

Looks like another crane is on the cards. I can take the old 16v out piece by piece though, and with the aid of my trusty skateboard it isn't too hard to move around!
boost panda
boost panda

Back to top Go down

Post by Yandards Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:28 am

[tumbleweed]rolling by[/tumbleweed]

Recommend a TDI unit in a corrado, steve's goes well and delivers bags of torque thanks to a slightly lighter car than the power units intended platform with the added bonus of epic fuel economy despite him driving it like a cNut.

R32s are quick but suffer the problem of all new engines - it all happens below 4k RPM - not sure that's where the fun is for me (personal thing) as I enjoy unleashing the furry and running an engine up to redline - that's why valvers have always put a smile on my face. I suspect with a bit of mapping you could move the engine characteristics around to get what you wanted though.

Projects, can't be **** at the minute, enjoying having a daily that I just need to wash and do minor servicing on that gives good fuel economy and that I don't feel the need to refurbish major components every weekend.

Should be more bothered with the 16vg60 in the new year as I have some minor jobs to sort out prior to next summers on the road period but the priority is still a new ECU map.

Yandards

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:45 am

Sounds good, thanks for the updates Very Happy

i'm steering more towards the TDI 110/130 in the C. After speaking to Steve about it (I think i've actually been in his - DBP too right?) he says the easiest way is to buy a donor which would be a ballache for me as the only off-road space I have is where the plum is sitting - and even that's not my driveway!

with the golf i'm torn. I've always liked the Mk2, and seeing as i've driven my C about 15% of the time i've owned it, it's easy to see why I may give it up. I've been tooing and froing about that for ages. In fact CazzaVR has removed a couple of my corrado for sale ads and made me see sense! in it's current form, i'd be lucky to get £500 and even then someone would be breaking it for parts most likely.

As long as I can talk the mrs into letting me keep it (which will probs mean selling the mk2 golf and getting a derv for daily) then I can see it getting back OTR in the next couple of years perhaps.

At least the hard part on the C is done - i still have lots of jobs to do on it, inc redoing rear hard lines possibly but i'm looking forward to dusting thwe cobwebs off. Literally...!
boost panda
boost panda

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:00 am

tbh, I think the engine choice (and whole car feel) is obviously a function of what you want out of it.

There are great and unique ideas like ITBs, blueprinted 16vs making 150+hp on k-jet, turbos, supers, etc etc. Then engine swaps of course.

I think if you could reasonably get a C's kerb weight down to 1000kg ready to drive, then anything upwards of 200hp would make decent progress through our arterial road network Very Happy

There's an ABF local to me for £175, and the guy has a lot of DBP panels too. I'm having dangerous thoughts...!

I think ITBs with a tuned and high revving 16v would be a nice change, and could be quite unique in the world of 1.8t and R32 swaps. Even 16vts seem few and far between these days. Someone posts for build help on a forum and 99% of people tell them to get a 20v. There's no unique ideas anymore.

I understand the benefits of a 1.8t out of the box especially in an early C with a QP loom, but it's proper sheep fare to me. No doubt a 1.8t will out-torque a n/a 16v and that's all the bum dyno is concerned with i'm sad to say.

But, I digress...
boost panda
boost panda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3