OddUnit

Aftermarket ECU, spot of guidance for a neeb..

Go down

Aftermarket ECU, spot of guidance for a neeb..

Post by Yandards on Fri May 21, 2010 4:47 am

Right then, got my sweaty mitts on my new Adaptronic E1280s ECU a couple of days ago and now my head hurts. It is really well coded though, you can basically code any form of behaviour you want (ie open ISV to return on knock detection) as all the modules for control can be adjusted to interact in different ways.

So a few silly questions..

1. I bought a Bosch wideband (LSU4.2) do I need a wideband controller or not? The way I read it they just give you a read out on the dash of AFR, is that correct?

2. Stock G60 coolant temp sensor and air temp sensors, I have the resistance graph and I know they are NTC type sensors but does anyone know what voltage is normally fed throught them? Even better would be to have the voltage values for a given temperature, I can do this using my G60 and the ECU breakout loom though.

3. I intend to use the dizzy to get up and running faster, can I use the ignitor from the KR engine on my new ECU?

Yandards
.:Cammed:.

Number of posts : 163

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Aftermarket ECU, spot of guidance for a neeb..

Post by dirtytorque on Sat May 22, 2010 2:46 pm

Yandards wrote:

1. I bought a Bosch wideband (LSU4.2) do I need a wideband controller or not? The way I read it they just give you a read out on the dash of AFR, is that correct?

No.WB Lambda sensors need to be driven by the appropriate electronics.
You get two analouge outputs with the LC1 that supply proportional representation of the afr but the LC1's main fuction is to drive the o2 sensor.
This isn't to say your ecu can't control the sensor directly,i'm just saying the comtroller does more than just send out an analogue voltage for a guage.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Yandards wrote:

2. Stock G60 coolant temp sensor and air temp sensors, I have the resistance graph and I know they are NTC type sensors but does anyone know what voltage is normally fed throught them? Even better would be to have the voltage values for a given temperature, I can do this using my G60 and the ECU breakout loom though.
This question doesn't make sense to me Yan.You should only need to supply the ecu with resistance/temp curve.The ecu will know what bias voltage it operates under.From this it will be able to calculate changes in temperature.
Does the ecu ask for voltage levels??

Yandards wrote:
3. I intend to use the dizzy to get up and running faster, can I use the ignitor from the KR engine on my new ECU?

I know you can on MS.You'll have to refer to the ecu's manual for the different ignition scheme options it can support.
The ignitor just expects to see an on off voltage.The off time supplying an appropriate amount of dwell time to charge the coil.I'll try and find out a bit more from the MS pages on the subject.You should just be able to drive the coil directly too if you so wished.That is what I did on my g60.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
dirtytorque
.:Charged:.

Number of posts : 1101

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yandards on Sun May 23, 2010 5:24 am

Cheers Rob, that's cleared a few things up, always happier with mech eng than electrical eng!

Ignitor wiring is easy enough then and it is as per the workshop manual for a KR block.

Looks like I am going shopping for a wideband controller, the LC1 is the option of choice right now as it takes up little room.

Sensor inputs, the 2d table/s gives me a graph of volts Vs temp with an option to adjust the temperature value for given volts and add or remove table elements. Seems a little backwards although without connecting the ECU up I don't know how well it calibrates the sensors. There are some 'factory' options but these only cover Ford, Mazda, Toyota and Nissan.

I guess the supplied current is constant and using the resistance graph I can calculate the voltage.

*EDIT* Just been out and tried to get the current flow from digifant, it seems to provide a flow of 0.001A (sounds like a good solid specified number) so I have mapped a custom curve with 10 degrees of resolution up to 45 deg C and then 5 degrees up to a max of 110 deg C. Adding furthur 2.5 degree resolution around the operating temps has proved worthless as the curve is now within .02 degrees. I can import this curve into the temperature sensor as well although there will be some guesswork required at the -deg C range.

Yandards

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque on Sun May 23, 2010 7:01 am

In section 2.1.1 of the installer manual there is a good section on how you can get the ecu to learn the temperature curve for temperature sensors Smile

I have a brand new LC1 with instructions and a bung etc if your interested.
dirtytorque

Number of posts : 1101

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yandards on Sun May 23, 2010 8:26 am

dirtytorque wrote:In section 2.1.1 of the installer manual there is a good section on how you can get the ecu to learn the temperature curve for temperature sensors Smile

I have a brand new LC1 with instructions and a bung etc if your interested.

Nuts, just ordered an LC1..

The installer manual is for the e420c, my ECU does not use an ADC type formula although I could still use the same process with the ECU wired up to get some numbers. I am fairly happy with the current curve, it looks pretty good and if I freeze a known good coolant temp sensor as low as I can get it I should be able to get some resistance figures for the air temp sensor to work from.

Yandards

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down