OddUnit

CTWG60's 24VRT - It will be a long slow (non-existant) build

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Re: CTWG60's 24VRT - It will be a long slow (non-existant) build

Post by kevhaywire on Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:20 am

He he, yep, well I'm not making it, but a chap I've befriended in America is.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Look towards the bottom of the page for Leebro's threads. A red VR with a manifold hanging down.... that's it basically.

It's still in the development phase but I'll be the first one in the UK to be trialling it Very Happy

The guy is a graduate scientist and extremely clever.
His Brother made a similar one for the 24V with this company, but he left recently - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

They're making proper tuned length tubular turbo manifolds aswell, with divided housings (twin scroll) and twin wastegates... I'll keep you posted!

kevhaywire
.:Stroked:.

Number of posts : 605

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:51 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Oh man!!!!

ctwg60

Number of posts : 770

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire on Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:56 am

I'm in two minds now about whether to stick with Mr 12V or roll over to Mr 24V Whistle

He's figured out all the correct pulse tuning to maximise torque of the 12V etc. Same with the AFI 24v intake.

Do you fancy an early 24V engine mate? Laughing

kevhaywire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:06 am

Laughing Serious?

ctwg60

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire on Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:01 am

It's just sitting here doing nowt mate, so yeah, if you want it, it's yours Very Happy

It always was just a 'spare' engine and a future project, but realistically I can't see a 24V T happening for a while now, so it's surplass to requirements at the moment.

kevhaywire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:20 am

Let me know what's included or missing and the price and I'll come back to you. Probably wouldn't be able to pay and collect till the summer but if you're in no rush... Stu might be in the market too so if I don't have it he may well take it. Need to know the code to, I take it as you say it only has the on off intake valve timing. Smile Either going to be AUE or AQP!

EDIT: Just did a vehicle check on the bora it came out of for £4. I got the reg from someone's pictures of the stealth day on facebook! Laughing It's AUE!

ctwg60

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:29 am

kevhaywire wrote:Blimey, this has moved on a bit.... lots to catch up on! Laughing

No need for the humble pie Stu, we're not like that on here Very Happy We figured it out together with some top notch piccies and some general head scratching Laughing

Not at all matey, I was just mucking about Laughing I love this sort of discussion, it's all good

kevhaywire wrote:Can't believe what a nerd I'm turning into.
What do you mean 'turning into'? I've always thought you to be a nerd Laughing

kevhaywire wrote:He he, yep, well I'm not making it, but a chap I've befriended in America is.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Look towards the bottom of the page for Leebro's threads. A red VR with a manifold hanging down.... that's it basically.

It's still in the development phase but I'll be the first one in the UK to be trialling it Very Happy

The guy is a graduate scientist and extremely clever.
His Brother made a similar one for the 24V with this company, but he left recently - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

They're making proper tuned length tubular turbo manifolds aswell, with divided housings (twin scroll) and twin wastegates... I'll keep you posted!
I'm loving that! It's interesting actually, cos that wiki link that Chris posted earlier, talks about the 'problems' with the VR head design, and indeed the exhaust manifold design. I'm loving the work there. I suppose this may be why the Schrik manifold's lower runners look so dissimilar to the standard manifold??

Oh, and depending on how much I can get a 24v engine for will dictate whether I'm in the market for one. As I mentioned in my project thread, I want to try and get a 24v engine in Tubbs for around £1100 Wink

£300 Corrado 1.8 16v
The good lady wife's Golf VR
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

View user profile http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire on Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:38 am

ctwg60 wrote:EDIT: Just did a vehicle check on the bora it came out of for £4. I got the reg from someone's pictures of the stealth day on facebook! Laughing It's AUE!

LOL, you're a resourceful man Laughing

The engine is complete except dual mass flywheel and exhaust manifolds, but since it was going to be a 24V T, they're not required anyway. It has the harness and ECU etc, coilpack, the lot. I *think* Jon may have kept the alternator for his R32 aswell, but they're not hard to come by.

All I'd want back for it is what I paid Jon, which was £600, but if it's not going immediately, I might change my mind and keep it. I'm fickle like that Laughing

kevhaywire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 on Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:01 am

No worries, it's a fair price indeed. If it's still available nearer the time (Mayish) I'll take it. Unless Stu turns up on your doorstep with the cash! Very Happy

ctwg60

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige on Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:58 am

Tis a fair price indeed. Does the ECU have the immobiliser defeat? If not, do you know what Vince charges for that? I need to work out what other costs that are involved, but I'm very interested, that's as long as I'm not treading on your toes Chris?? Embarassed

£300 Corrado 1.8 16v
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire on Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:11 am

The ecu currently doesn't have a chip in it at all, lol!
Vince said he'll sort one out for me (with all the usual stuff deleted / de fault coded etc) when i need it, so i will obviously get that sorted before parting with the engine!

kevhaywire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 on Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:05 am

Cool, he'd have to unregister the engine from the Bora too for legal reasons! Laughing

ctwg60

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:23 am

So, what's the plan then Chris? You still doing this?

£300 Corrado 1.8 16v
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque on Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:11 am

I don't believe he is.
Selling up.
dirtytorque
.:Charged:.
.:Charged:.

Number of posts : 1101

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:55 am

dirtytorque wrote:I don't believe he is.
Selling up.

I am sorry everyone. Time to move on. It's as much a surprise to me how I feel as it is to you all. Sold J808ROM on Friday for £950 on ebay. Gone to a good home with a major vw enthusiast in Sheffield.

ctwg60

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yandards on Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:57 pm

Well at least it's gone to a good home.

Yandards
.:Cammed:.

Number of posts : 163

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 on Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:48 pm

I think J881 will be going soon but I still have the custom box if you're still interested.

ctwg60

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yandards on Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:14 am

ctwg60 wrote:I think J881 will be going soon but I still have the custom box if you're still interested.

Definitely still interested in the box in fact already working out when I will fit it! I have just left it for the moment as you are obviously still sorting the larger issue of selling the cars.

I guess that's the tweaked ASD box as well?

Yandards

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire on Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:58 am

ctwg60 wrote:I am sorry everyone. Time to move on. It's as much a surprise to me how I feel as it is to you all.

You'll be back Laughing

You'll see a Corrado driving down the road one day and you'll get the itch again!

T'is a shame though, after all the work and time you invested in it. Totally understand why you're moving on though. God knows I've been close to taking a hammer to mine several times out of frustration, but thankfully I saw sense, LOL!

kevhaywire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:53 am

It's not frustration though, it's just the fact I don't need it daily and it's finished with regards to performance improvements, other than porting the charger or some sort of better cooling to the intake air.

I may well be back but it will be less a G60 and a few years from now. The engineering I think is my first love not the car, hence why i never did any body work.

ctwg60

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:24 am

Still can't get the thought of a 24VRT! Thinking of buying a VR6's selling everything off of it I can and buying a 2.8 24v and a DTA S80 system. Lightweight stripped out rat rod. Just something C shaped to put an engine in to play with. Ahh maybe in another 12 months.

ctwg60

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yandards on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:59 am

ctwg60 wrote:Still can't get the thought of a 24VRT! Thinking of buying a VR6's selling everything off of it I can and buying a 2.8 24v and a DTA S80 system. Lightweight stripped out rat rod. Just something C shaped to put an engine in to play with. Ahh maybe in another 12 months.

Heh and I seem to recall when I picked the box up from you that you didn't miss all the usual 'rado problems Smile

Good to see you getting the itch again...

Yandards

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:35 am

I keep having the same thoughts!

I might stick my 24V lump onto the engine stand this weekend and start assessing it's condition.

It felt pretty sweet to me prior to removal and had covered ~ 130K. Do you reckon it's worth honing + new rings Yan, or leave it be?

I am actually very tempted to first of all buy some Schimmel cams and run it normally aspirated with my DTA and see what I can get out of it, then stick all the turbo stuff on it at a later date.

I've been wanting to see what a 24V, fully let off the leash, is capable of for a long time. After all, it is to the 12V what the 16V is to the 8V - i.e. shed loads more flow. I've seen some Bullschitt serial port tuning claims of 250hp remapped, as it is, in a MK4 with all the cats still in place.

I reckon with the SP cams and more aggressive VVT / timing maps I could knock on the doors of that figure....

It will also give me time to learn how to map the DBW and 4 gap cam trigger wheel + VVT etc first without boost getting in the way!

Hmmmm, I'm all fired up now!

kevhaywire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yandards on Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:13 am

130k shouldn't be an issue on the 24v lump if you are staying NA with it for now.

I would think that new rings and some honing to suit would be a good idea when you go down the turbo route though but based on my recent experience the best bet would be to see how they are first with a bore gauge and get a machine shop to true the cylinders if they are a bit off.

In terms of engine work I feel the best thing I had done was the dynamic balancing work, even when it was running on 2 and half it was still running okish and I think the balancing work will really pay off at the top end of the rev range (8k).

Guessed it was time you were going to start tinkering again Kev as its been a while since your last big project - still thinking about getting a daily as well?

Yandards

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire on Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:19 am

Yeah, I think I'll bung it in as it is then and see what it's like!

How do you measure the bores without marking / scratching them? Any good tools you can recommend?

Is dynamic balancing where it's balanced with the clutch attached? Sounds like a good idea to me!

I do think about daily's occasionally but I can't really be bothered with 2 cars tbh! I prefer to get maximum enjoyment from one car Very Happy I can get a lift to work with the missus, so transport is never really an issue!

kevhaywire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum: