OddUnit

V5 balancing......

Go down

V5 balancing......

Post by mrbeige on Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:21 pm

Right so, just been speaking to my bro-in-law about V5. How is it balanced? Surely it will be out of balance if it has three cylinders on one side and two on the other???

Discuss......

£300 Corrado 1.8 16v
The good lady wife's Golf VR
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

View user profile http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Re: V5 balancing......

Post by dirtytorque on Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:26 pm

Define out of balance..
I think I can see what your getting at uneven power delivery ?
I think the bottom line is that you get a power stroke for more engine turning degrees with a multi cyclinder car than you do with a 4pot.

I seem to remember reading that for some reason 5pots have quite a smooth running characteristic for some reason.
Wikipedia probably.
dirtytorque
.:Charged:.
.:Charged:.

Number of posts : 1101

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige on Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:01 am

When I say out of balance, I mean the that one bank has 3 cylinders firing, and the other has two. 720deg / 5 = 144deg per cylinder fire. I would have expected there to be an uneven stress on the two sides of the cylinder head.

5 pot in line are supposed to be smooth (as are 6 inline), but I can understand that, as you decrease the angular time between firing.

£300 Corrado 1.8 16v
The good lady wife's Golf VR
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

View user profile http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire on Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:46 am

You're forgetting one important thing Stu. The VR5 is not a true V engine. It is a staggered inline, therefore doesn't have the same imbalance issues 2 seperate banks would have.

The main engines which suffer imbalance problems are crossplane V8s, large capacity 4 pots and boxer engines. I.e. A 3 cylinder boxer wouldn't work, but a 3 cylinder inline or VR3, would.

kevhaywire
.:Stroked:.
.:Stroked:.

Number of posts : 605

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Toad on Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:43 pm

Just discovered that a woman from work has a V5 toledo. Apparently she drives like a granny, but slower. I laughed hard when I realised it was her car...
Toad
.:Mod:.

Number of posts : 411

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JNLRacing on Mon May 17, 2010 2:01 am

V5 engines are dynamically balanced using a balance factor. Much like the V6, V8 and I5 engines.

It basically means you need to make up bobweights to go on the crank journals and balance the crank with them attached. Unlike a 4pot which can be zero balanced as it is a true symmetrical crank being two up two down.

Depending on the geometry of the crank journal/counterweight configuration the percentage balance factor will alter.

JNLRacing
.:Cammed:.
.:Cammed:.

Number of posts : 205

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum