OddUnit

New car (and I'm a sucker for punishment and i can't help myself!)

Go down

New car (and I'm a sucker for punishment and i can't help myself!)

Post by pete_griff on Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:24 pm

i said that i wouldn't modify my new car (Evo 6) as it's my daily and i would leave it standard!

that hasn't lasted very long... (at all!)

i've slapped an apexi turbo timer on it, not only for my convenience, but also as it tells me battery voltage, lambda voltage and AF ratio (only approximate obviously as it's narrowband).
all in all i'm very happy with the trbo timer, the control stick is about 1.5 times the size of an AA battery and it covers up a ghastly foglight switch hole in the dash nicely.

all in all i'm very very happy with the car - soooooooo much nicer than my old impreza - it needs a few things doing to get it all squared away; got new front wheels bearings to go on and just a thorough service inc cambelt etc.

anyway, all plans to not modify etc were going nicely (even though i obviopusly wanted to really, i was being quite restrained).
unfortunately i came across this on ebay - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

so it now looks like i'm going to find a knackered engine to rebuild at some point over time. it will take a while (certainly dictated by the fact it will take my bank balance a month or s to recover from the initial outlay of buying/doing a major service on the car and then getting that bloody crankshaft!)

hopefully though you should keep an eye out on here in the coming months for an engine rebuild thread as i take the time to get hold of bargains and build myself a monster engine! Twisted Evil

hopefully going to stick around on the corrado forum and help people out where i can as well, as everyone on there is a real good bunch Very Happy

pete_griff
.:Standard:.

Number of posts : 25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New car (and I'm a sucker for punishment and i can't help myself!)

Post by junkie on Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:29 pm

All i know about EVO tuning is its bloody expensive

If your going for over 500bhp then start off with the stroker kit as you are doing as its then easier to achieve the big 500bhp and over otherwise you will end up with 450bhp maybe a little more for the same outlay and a slightly more lazy/laggy engine for the same output.

The increased cc's will help massively with spooling a larger turbot.

Norris Designs 500bhp engines are circa 15k
junkie
.:Bored:.

Male Number of posts : 376

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie on Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:39 pm

You need the following

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Plus alot of stuff from here

junkie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige on Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:43 pm

Good work Pete. Get a members gallery thread up so we can see what it looks like Smile

£300 Corrado 1.8 16v
The good lady wife's Golf VR
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

View user profile http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pete_griff on Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:53 pm

Norris do sell some lovely stuff - have you seen their Evo 9 - 841bhp! Twisted Evil

it seems that the most expensive thing is the turbo/manifold setup - odd really as the parts aren't that expensive; just look at how much it costs other people to do home turbo conversions etc - and those are custom bespoke items half the time...

anyway, i remember reading in PPC a while ago how one bloke was suffering hotspots on the piston/cylinder walls of cylinder 3. according to PPC the scavenging for that cylinder is a little poor when using the oem manifold; especially when under higher load due to the engine being tuned.
cosequently i'm not sure how much i fancy playing around with a manfold setup as i don't want to get it wrong. the plan was just to wait around and keep a watchful eye on the forum/ebay and see what comes up. i'm certainly in no massive hurry - will just be running the car more or less standard until then.

the only thing i may do to the car in the mean-time is to replace the wastegate actuator with a forged item, as the actuators are mounted upside down and the oem one are known to rust and malfunction where the water gets in. mine is defo rusty and i'm not convinced i'm making full boost as the car feels a bit slow to me. (that may be due to the corrado being pretty quick, but it doesn't feel as ferocious to me as it perhaps should...)

i'm also on the lookout for a cheap apexi avcr (electronic boost controller), but i doubt i'll be fitting that before the rebuilt engine goes in (unless of course i get bored of the standard power in the mean-time tongue )
i guess i can add the apexi to the long list of other things i'm now on the lookout for!

pete_griff

Number of posts : 25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:17 pm

lol i love the my Corrado was faster than an EVO which are "perceiced" to be fast.

Its not always the parts that are expensive or inexpensive as you know, your paying for the tuners knowledge and proven systems that work well, as you say you dont want to start messing with the manifold and get it wrong.
junkie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire on Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:02 am

pete_griff wrote:i'm also on the lookout for a cheap apexi avcr (electronic boost controller), but i doubt i'll be fitting that before the rebuilt engine goes in (unless of course i get bored of the standard power in the mean-time tongue )
i guess i can add the apexi to the long list of other things i'm now on the lookout for!

Look no further, I have a brand new, unused one in my garage. It's the newer version with black case and white LCD. I bought it last year to use on my VRT but couldn't be bothered to install it. If you want it, it's yours for a good price Very Happy

kevhaywire
.:Stroked:.
.:Stroked:.

Number of posts : 605

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum