OddUnit

E85 Bioethanol

Go down

E85 Bioethanol

Post by kevhaywire on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:02 am

As I was near a Morrisons over the weekend, I thought I'd stick a gallon of E85 in (to 10 gallons of V Power already in the tank) to see what happened.

It was a bit irritating filling up as the E85 pump at Ipswich is horrendously slow for some reason, but anyway, EGTs fell 50 degrees and I was able to add 4 degrees timing on boost without any det. The engine felt smoother too.

That was with just 10%, imagine what you could do with 100% E85!

10% Biofuel in petrol only needs 6% lambda enrichment to achieve the same target AFR, so is the safe limit for playing around with. Stronger blends will need bigger injectors and the AFR run at 2 points richer unfortunately, but it's encouraging!

Someone on the DTA forum has had injector O rings, injectors and a pump submersed in E85 for a year and there's been no chemical reaction so far. I know normal ethanol attacks alloy and rots some rubber hoses, but Bioethanol so far seems safe. Happy days!

kevhaywire
.:Stroked:.

Number of posts : 605

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: E85 Bioethanol

Post by mrbeige on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:09 am

That's quite interesting, I wonder if you would see such effects on a N/A motor? E85 has a much higher Octane rating does it not?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

View user profile http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire on Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:18 am

Yeah, it's a lot higher octane. I've read it's between 109 to 114 depending where you look, so saying it's 110 as an average, that's still 11 more than V power Very Happy

I should imagine you'll see some sort of gain in a NA motor, if anything much cooler running and cold fuel/air mixes in NA engines generally yields more power. I think I'm right in thinking Bioethanol has more chemically bonded oxygen in it than petrol, so more of bang. You can run a lot more timing too and much higher compression ratio, (which is where most of the power will come from I guess) but the only downside is 12:1 AFR of E85 is about the same as 14.7:1 AFR petrol, so you need to burn a lot more of it do do the same job....but the gains can be higher, so it's swings and roundabouts!

kevhaywire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige on Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:02 pm

I wonder whether there is a way that the ECU could know what fuel was in the tank? Having to manually switch between maps for E85 and normal 99RON, would be a pain in the bum. Does the DTA offer dual maps?

mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

View user profile http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kevhaywire on Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:02 am

Yep, there is a way. GM Ethanol sensor p/n - 12570260

The DTA had this setup 2 years ago but can you get hold of this bloody sensor? Like f'ck you can. It's pretty much all that's holding me back from using E85 full time.

With that fitted the compensations are automatic, no need for multi maps.

But here is the compensation table:-

Percent E85 to petrol - Enrichment adjust

0 - 0%
5 - 3%
10 - 6%
15 - 10%
20 - 13%
25 - 16%
30 - 19%
35 - 23%
and so on.....

The percentage enrichment jumps up a lot more with 100% E85, but you can adjust the ranges anyway so that you get the AFR right....

E85 is still a long way off in this country. The oil cartels don't want us using it, so any specific parts, help or advice are practically non existent.

As usual we have to turn to America to get anything done....

kevhaywire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum