OddUnit
Biggest brakes for 15inch rims??.. Cooltext403300291

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OddUnit
Biggest brakes for 15inch rims??.. Cooltext403300291
OddUnit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Biggest brakes for 15inch rims??..

+8
James H
jmc
ctwg60
dukest
mrbeige
dirtytorque
junkie
VEEDUBBED
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Biggest brakes for 15inch rims??.. Empty Biggest brakes for 15inch rims??..

Post by VEEDUBBED Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:27 am

Allrite all,
What's the biggest stoppers 1 can fit inside small 15inch original 'rado rims?.
I'm running a powerful engine but i'm stuck on original G60 stoppers...
Remeber,i'm NOT allowed to change rims on my 'rado 'cos the Italian law
doesn't allow it,15inch jobbies or nowt.

VEEDUBBED
.:Cammed:.

Number of posts : 53

Back to top Go down

Biggest brakes for 15inch rims??.. Empty Re: Biggest brakes for 15inch rims??..

Post by junkie Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:49 am

280mm wilwoods 4 pots for easyness and i know a guy who fitted 305mm Ibiza brembo's 4 pots into original BBS wheels on a rallye, not sure what was involved but heard the words grinding down some stuff to clear, not sure if it was discs as well to be honest but definately the calipers.

James H will know the answer i think.
junkie
junkie
.:Bored:.
.:Bored:.

Male Number of posts : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:37 am

i'll be running wilwoods and they fit fine behind my 15" wheels.
dirtytorque
dirtytorque
.:Charged:.

Number of posts : 1101

Back to top Go down

Post by VEEDUBBED Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:48 am

My main worry concerns the fact that the engine in my car will be pushing out near to 480/500 hp,i don't care about breaking gearboxes,driveshafts etc but what i do worry about is stopping quick enough...
So bloody easy for you lot,just whack a set of 17inch rims on,300+mm brake disks and your sorted.
I wonder if it's possible to double-up on the brake calipers,2 sets of 4 pots??.

VEEDUBBED

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:41 am

VEEDUBBED wrote:My main worry concerns the fact that the engine in my car will be pushing out near to 480/500 hp,i don't care about breaking gearboxes,driveshafts etc but what i do worry about is stopping quick enough...
So bloody easy for you lot,just whack a set of 17inch rims on,300+mm brake disks and your sorted.
I wonder if it's possible to double-up on the brake calipers,2 sets of 4 pots??.

dunno but when are you going to showcase your car on here ???? Smile

I promise we won't tell. Evil or Very Mad (I love these smileys)

Seriously tho do you don't think the 4pots will be adequate then?
dirtytorque
dirtytorque

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:49 pm

Why can't you fit bigger wheels then?
mrbeige
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by VEEDUBBED Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:52 am

Stupid Italian law,theorecticly your not allowed to change a wheelnut for chrissake,i'm already pushing it by fitting a turbo,8 injectors etc...
If you get stopped and the police/carabinieri get whiff that your motors modified,thats it,impounded on the spot.
I've been to impound yards and i've seen cars that have been impounded for more than 20/30 years...,just massive car graveyards with 1000's of cars/bikes/mopeds/scooters just rotting there wasted.
The burocracy over here is beyond a fukin joke.
I want to put up a few photos but unlike the-corrado.net i don't know how to on here!,HELP?.

VEEDUBBED

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:19 am

Ahh, that's poop! Stealth is definitely the way forward then!

There is a thread on here with some instructions for posting images Smile There are two ways to do it as well.....

Clicky
mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:09 am

btw i am probably selling my wilwoods as they don't clear bbs rz's
They clear my borbet C's but I want to revert back to standard g60 wheels
dirtytorque
dirtytorque

Back to top Go down

Post by VEEDUBBED Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:22 am

Hi Rob,
If the calipers don't clear your RZ's they won't clear my 15inch RM's...that's if your rims are 15inch?.

VEEDUBBED

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:59 am

VEEDUBBED wrote:Hi Rob,
If the calipers don't clear your RZ's they won't clear my 15inch RM's...that's if your rims are 15inch?.

yeah,they're 15's.

are u just running uprated disc and pads at the mo?

I am in the same boat now.My head is telling me tun run with borbet C's and wilwood but my heart says bbsrZ.
Rolling Eyes
dirtytorque
dirtytorque

Back to top Go down

Post by VEEDUBBED Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:29 am

I haven't even run in the engine yet!,only done 500km's over the past year.
I'm still running the original G60 brakes as the boost pressure is only set to 0.5Bar for running in the engine.
This is going to be a problem that i see no way out of.
I've got a set of Brembo 4 pots,the Aluminium versions fitted on the EVO Lancia deltas but i think the pads are quite small.

VEEDUBBED

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:04 am

VEEDUBBED wrote:I haven't even run in the engine yet!,only done 500km's over the past year.
I'm still running the original G60 brakes as the boost pressure is only set to 0.5Bar for running in the engine.
This is going to be a problem that i see no way out of.
I've got a set of Brembo 4 pots,the Aluminium versions fitted on the EVO Lancia deltas but i think the pads are quite small.

Ok the BMW version of the g60 rz has a smaller offset number.in the 20's I fink.
So i think maybe these will give the necessary clearance for wilwoods.
They are 15".
I'm going to run standard g60 setup for now until I can source some.
dirtytorque
dirtytorque

Back to top Go down

Post by dukest Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:20 am

unfortunately i dont think just changing the offset will help as that just moves the "spokes" of the wheel in or out of the dish, it doesnt move them further away from the contact surface to the hub. what gives the clearance is the shape of the inside of spokes relative to the hub (ie. they need to be convex to the hub).

i'm having the same dilemma (albeit for a vr6). the other alternative to wilwoods is hi-spec but they are quite expensive and they are probably still tight on clearance.

Veedubbed - what about spacers on your wheels - could you get away with that? I'm slowly talking myself out of staying with 15s (although I know you dont have that option) but its soooo much more expensive (another £700 for 17s with half decent tyres, when the 4 pots are probably costing that already) Sad

dukest
.:Standard:.

Male Number of posts : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:33 am

dukest wrote:unfortunately i dont think just changing the offset will help as that just moves the "spokes" of the wheel in or out of the dish, it doesnt move them further away from the contact surface to the hub. what gives the clearance is the shape of the inside of spokes relative to the hub (ie. they need to be convex to the hub).

i'm having the same dilemma (albeit for a vr6). the other alternative to wilwoods is hi-spec but they are quite expensive and they are probably still tight on clearance.

Veedubbed - what about spacers on your wheels - could you get away with that? I'm slowly talking myself out of staying with 15s (although I know you dont have that option) but its soooo much more expensive (another £700 for 17s with half decent tyres, when the 4 pots are probably costing that already) Sad

bugger.
Crying or Very sad

thanks for the reply
Saves me shelling out for the new wheels then.

Would a really good set of pads be effective ?
Maybe I should just run the Borbets. Neutral

Upset I am.
dirtytorque
dirtytorque

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:43 am

..thinking about this though.if you have the same wheel with the same spoke thickness etc and you move the hub mating surface further inside the wheel leaving the spoke face where it is,then surely you will get m0ore space between the inside spoke face and the hub??

Answers on a postcard please.
Thnks.
dirtytorque
dirtytorque

Back to top Go down

Post by dukest Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:16 am

yes agreed, but my understanding is that when changing the offset then the spokes move with the mating surface so you dont get any benefit (apart from a deeper/shallower dish).

this is why spacers do the trick as they bring the effective mating surface further away from the inside of the spokes.. hope that makes sense (and that i'm not talking rubbish...Smile)

dukest

Male Number of posts : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:36 am

On another 15" brake dilema topic. I have s2 calipers G60 Girlings, yes they're upside down but no I don't get uneven wear as everyone says. But I am getting disc issues I warped my vw standard disc slightly before going to The Nurburg Ring but when I was there it only took about 3 minutes to really warp them on the track. So on return I got some drilled zimmerman discs and I've only done about 2000 miles, no track time and they're warping now so as a last ditch attempt before I go stock I want to get drilled and slotted discs like blackdiamond, ebc, or Tarox. Tarox being about £190 BD £140 EBC £160 etc. Hopefully the tough metal and reduced contact will help, granted they will clog up over time but....

I'm thinking blackdiamond as I have had them before on my old mk2 8v and they aren't too expensive but if any of you think there is a better cheaper option I'd like to here your opinion as cash is elusive at the moment. They wore out quiet quickly on my mk2 but they were good.

Or could it be the pads that need looking at, currently running pagid pads, nothing special, £30 a pair.

Here's a link for what I'm looking at...
Linky

I don't want more braking efficiency from the new setup, although it would be nice, I want tougher discs and cooler running pads I think? Neutral So I can keep the S2 calipers without cooking my discs.

By the way they fit behind BBS RM's Very Happy

EDIT: These are cheap!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

ctwg60
.:Stroked:.

Number of posts : 770

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:09 am

dukest wrote:yes agreed, but my understanding is that when changing the offset then the spokes move with the mating surface so you dont get any benefit (apart from a deeper/shallower dish).

this is why spacers do the trick as they bring the effective mating surface further away from the inside of the spokes.. hope that makes sense (and that i'm not talking rubbish...Smile)

Ok well I will either validate or disprove what your saying tonight as I am going to buy the and see.
It just that I am not going for a wheel with a deeper dish,it should be the same as the RZ's so...

i'll post up tomorrow.
I'll put the humble pie in the oven.
dirtytorque
dirtytorque

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:30 am

dirtytorque wrote:
dukest wrote:yes agreed, but my understanding is that when changing the offset then the spokes move with the mating surface so you dont get any benefit (apart from a deeper/shallower dish).

Ok well I will either validate or disprove what your saying tonight as I am going to buy the and see.
It just that I am not going for a wheel with a deeper dish,it should be the same as the RZ's so...

i'll post up tomorrow.
I'll put the humble pie in the oven.

This might help...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

But while your there buying them I'd measure the bbs's you have that don't clear against the rz's, just measure the distance from the hub face to the inside of the spokes. You'll probably need two rulers, one to act as a straight edge against the face and the other to to the measuring. By how much don't the bbs's you have clear?

I would imagine you'd have an extra 5mm clearance if the design was the same between the two wheels.

edit actually thinking about it the rz's are 12.7mm wider but the offset is ET25 10mm less than ET35 so you may only have 2.7mm extra clearance if the the spoke and dish design are the same. scratch I think!

ctwg60

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:41 am

I think dukest is right.
Look at this image of said wheels.
I compared them to a picture of yours and do seem to be slightly dished,explaining the extra wheel arch poke.
I may still buy them if they are in good condition.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
dirtytorque
dirtytorque

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:47 am

Does he not have the centers for them? They could be quite expensive to get afterwards you know! The centers for them are different to the RM's

ctwg60

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:36 am

Ferodo FD2500 pads are the way to go Smile Cooler running pad, that works even from cold, but get some heat into them, and by Christ they're good. Had some on my 256s and they were much better than Pagid fast roads on my 280s Shocked
mrbeige
mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:51 am

ctwg60 wrote:Does he not have the centers for them? They could be quite expensive to get afterwards you know! The centers for them are different to the RM's

then that is a show stopper.

Of course none of this helps VEEDUBBED,
Smile
dirtytorque
dirtytorque

Back to top Go down

Post by ctwg60 Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:15 am

mrbeige wrote:Ferodo FD2500 pads are the way to go Smile Cooler running pad, that works even from cold, but get some heat into them, and by Christ they're good. Had some on my 256s and they were much better than Pagid fast roads on my 280s Shocked

Tanks for that Stu, so what discs? Anyone warped tarox discs or blackdiamond discs

ctwg60

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next