OddUnit

My current academic assignments

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My current academic assignments

Post by boost panda on Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:00 pm

So, everyone knows I have a plum in bits - that's last year's news and hence why there are no pics or even whispers of it on the OU.

Much more interestingly, is what I'm getting my hands dirty with at Uni. A whole host of different design and material assignments. Allow me to indulge your senses:

Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastic (FRPs for short) Materials Report

Undertaken in late November 08, I have been manufacturing in a small group some carbon fibre laminates, and more recently studying the ways in which the stress loading of them is impacted by the orientation of the fibres (i.e. loading each sample to Sigma-c, or the critical stress value at failure from 0 degress [parallel to fibres] at 10deg intervals to 90 deg [normal to fibres]). This was done with uni-directional FRP and also woven FRP which have fibres in two directions, 90degrees apart. I'm just writing up the results back from the lab at the moment, and am happy to post them up when it's finished. Basically, UD fibres are the best but it's nigh impossible to load them perfectly axially down the fibre where they are strongest, hence woven are used as a good all-rounder (although master of no particular angles due to their inherent orientation). You won't find an F1 race-tub made from UD, that's for sure.

Racing Suspension Design Project

AKA the Red book that I have misplaced for scanning in! No This is a 10-week individual project to design, from scratch, the whole suspension system for a single seater racing car. Certain elements are fixed; i.e. tyre size, castor angle, camber angle, but pretty much most things are up for grabs. We need to allow for calipers weight and heat generation on the wheel housings, designing the housings with probably a double-wishbone geometry, design the upright, design the shock, design/choose the springs. Run FEA (Finite Element Analysis) to make sure that the materials and thicknesses of the designed components, loading points, pick up points etc are all fit for purpose and don't shatter on the 2nd to last lap. Run FEA on the nearby chassis to work out optimal pick up points, and ensure things like the downforce from the rear wing and front diffusers are being channeled DIRECTLY to the wheels. So, a pretty complicated assignment really. I'm hoping to really go to town on this one and use it as start of a portfolio for my Placement year applications - I know some people have gotten jobs off the back of this assignment alone.

FEA Circlip short assignment

As it says on the title really, just a preliminary study of how FEA works and what it's applications are in the automotive industry. We start by modelling a simple circlip and the forces on it, but it can be scaled up (literally) to calculate any kind of force you can think of through the simplest of fixings to the most advanced 3-dimensional chassis models. Just don't expect the computations to be done very fast...

Mini Cooper S Engine Dyno Performance Tuning and Remap Assignment

Brookes is lucky enough to have a £1m state of the art technology building complete with all mods cons, a brand new 4-post rig and 3 very nice engine dyno cells. Fully computer controlled, soundproofed and air-conditioned these rooms allow postgrads and some undergrads to perform engine testing with incredible accuracy. Servo motors attached to the throttle linkage can adjust throttle position to generate an engine speed within 5rpm of that required and hold it indefinitely. We are currently testing a Mini Cooper S 1.6 litre turbocharged (I know, I know) and intercooled engine to see how efficient the IC is (entropically and enthalpically) and also whether the OEM ECU can be remapped to create more power without damaging components (this follows on from my electronics module in which we reprogrammed a Lotus Elise map through an Emerald EEPROM). The computers take data from 20 sensors every 30 seconds and log them into a spreadsheet which has been exported to Excel. The data can be manipulated to find BSFC and BMEP to name just two which inherently can be used to find the internal engine power losses due to friction. Thermal efficiency will also be investigated by using twin fans through the intercooler as simulated airflow due to driving at speed.

Those are the main ones at the mo. The lectures are all based around the theory of how it works, plus we have shíteloads of maths and dynamics to do (vibrational and thermo) which shows how even the most tedious number crunching can be used for interesting things.

I'll add to this as and when I remember/receive more work.

Edit: completely forgot about my thermodynamic blower assignment! bounce
boost panda
.:Bored:.

Number of posts : 307

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My current academic assignments

Post by boost panda on Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:21 am

Got my suspension data this morning:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
boost panda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige on Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:31 am

Hmmm, methinks I should have done automotive engineering at uni Sad

All sounds VERY interesting Smile Is this your second or third year, Jon?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
mrbeige
.:Admin:.

Male Number of posts : 1384
Location : Near Ely, Cambs.......but another planet according to my wife....

View user profile http://www.oddunit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda on Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:44 am

This is my second year - still trying to sort placement else I'll be going right into 3rd/final year this sept! Sad
boost panda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige on Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:07 am

Not having any joy then? I'd imagine that a lot of companies have cut back on placements because of the down turn. Have you tried Prodrive? I'd imagine you have?

mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda on Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:09 am

Yeah, it's the same across the board I think matey. AML and Honda F1 have axed people, ProDrive wrote back saying they hadn't started looking into placement stuff yet but will let me know - that was in December. Got a letter back from Morgan, Noble and MIRA recently all saying no.
boost panda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige on Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:13 am

You thought about going abroad?

mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtytorque on Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:19 am

mrbeige wrote:You thought about going abroad?
lol.he's trying to get shot of u.
dirtytorque
.:Charged:.
.:Charged:.

Number of posts : 1101

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda on Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:28 am

lol Rob stop stirring!

I had thought about going to America at one point (Germany too - but I'd have to brush up on the language), but it's all a bit late now seeing as I should start in about six months!

Overseas would be cool. Dresden.... mmmm.
boost panda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda on Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:04 pm

Started the Engine efficiency and performance mapping report finally. Got VERY confused about the assignment wording talking about turbos - after much research, it seems that BMW ditched the Eaton on the Cooper S circa 2007, and went turbo instead! That was a massive headscratcher.

Got some interesting results on intercooler efficiency too. As the engine was static, the IC had fans attached (yeah, no where near the same as wind being forced through at speed, but not massively out) and the engine was run with and without fans.

Peak inlet temp recorded was 40degrees. This is much lower than it would be in real life for the following reasons:

- The ECU would have changed its map when it senses a high intake air temp, so we couldn't leave the dyno running w/o IC fans for long.

- The dyno room is probably about 10 cubic metres and fully air conditioned so absolutely nothing like a small cramped engine bay! I didn't spot a radiator in there either, I think there might be some fancy heat exchange system involving a cooling tower that's hard plumbed into the workshop. Fancy stuff.

Just some bumf whilst it's fresh in my head.
boost panda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda on Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:29 pm

Might have managed to wangle an overseas placement which sounds amazing, but yet to be confirmed.

Uni's going ok, just broken up for easter but got 7.5 shíteloads to do for this suspension report. Just realised that the bell crank I calculated gives me the wrong angle on my pushrod, so the installation ratio is all out of whack.

omg, why?
boost panda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige on Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:39 pm

boost panda wrote:Just realised that the bell crank I calculated gives me the wrong angle on my pushrod, so the installation ratio is all out of whack.
Your mouth is moving but I don't here words...it's like Swahili... Laughing

So where is this placement??? Tell all...

mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda on Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:34 am

I'll upload some Formula Renault pics at some point to explain the bell crank sitch.

The placement is looking to be at Ullyett's Machine Shop, trying to sort out visas etc at the mo.
boost panda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda on Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:38 am

I'm hoping Prod will take charge of the Plum for a year: Perhaps if he get's it T&T'd then his wife can use it instead of the 20mpg Honda CRV she currently uses.
boost panda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:19 pm

Been designing my new hub/upright for the coursework over easter, I'll get some pics up when Solidworks has finished updating.
boost panda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by junkie on Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:09 pm

Where you moving to?
junkie

Male Number of posts : 376

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:47 pm

Barbados, if Immigration let me Smile
boost panda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda on Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:49 am

Here's my current design stuff for the wheel end of the suspension, so the upright (hub), disc (from AP Racing's website), caliper (loosely modelled on AP 4-pot!) and hub spindle thing.

Here's my fabricated hub. Pretty basic stuff, square tab for steering pickup, two cylindrical tabs for caliper etc etc. upper and lower wishbone take-offs have 1.2degrees kingpin inclination to aid steering, castor wise they're in line. Steering pick up falls on this 1.2 degree line as this helps minimise bump steer. No camber shims available on this upright, camber is adjusted via threaded rose joints on end of fabricated wishbones (to do).

Caliper based on AP Caliper CP4219, with much much less detail! major dimensions are the same, cut out through centre to show caliper is located concentrically on disc.

hub spindle. Again, pretty basic stuff. Will need some more work and tolerances when the bearings are put in, but it's essentially the same.

basic 22mm thick integrated bell disc as we see on our road cars. t's the ventilated design but I haven't bothered modelling all the fluting etc as it's not a brake design project!

Here's how it all comes together with some 3D trickery:

so spindle is concentrically mounted in the upright, and attaches to the disc. Caliper attaches to upright, and centres on disc width midpoint.

Here's a cutaway:

As you can see the hub is essentially hollow (as it's fabricated) but has reinforcing plates in the middle and on each end of the centre tube which takes the wheel bearing/s and spindle. This is to help spread the radial forces generated through the upright and add some rigidity when axial and lateral forces are applied.

So yeah, just some bits I've been playing with. Nothing insanely great, just what can be mocked up really. monkey
boost panda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda on Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:49 am

oh yeah, I photocopied the design handout book thing so I'll get it scanned and upload the roll centre pages Stu!
boost panda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda on Thu May 14, 2009 9:13 am

the design handout book is crap btw. Think they used voice recog on it or something, it's borderline illegible!

Managed to knock this up though (render):

This is my full design (i.e. everything made from scratch):

Here is an exploded view of the wheel / upright area (yes I DID design that vented disc!):

Really gutted that I ran out of time as I had to juggle (still juggling!) revision so the final report wasn't that good, but i'm planning to perfect it over summer.
boost panda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda on Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:10 am

Wow, looking back over all this old stuff seems like peanuts!

In my final year now. I have a Dissertation on Dry Sump design which should be epic, flow testing in STAR-CCM aero software, constant design work, Dynamic modelling simulation through MSD ADAMS package and a few other little projects besides.

Also, I'm still looking for (but probably will never find) full blueprint schematics for the Corrado chassis. It would be SO useful to have a CAD model of it, just a few reasons here:

- Space calculation in the engine bay for different engines inc chassis rail clearance,

- Stress analysis through chassis and seeing critical / optimal reinforcement points (through plating or welding),

- Flow testing under chassis for ground effect and possible diffuser packages, and through engine bay to reduce drag and produce clean flow through radiator and beyond.

- Chassis Dynamics. That is, calculating centre of gravity and roll angle of chassis, allowing accurate calculation of load transfers both front to rear and inner to outer wheels. Calculation of loads through tyre contact patches, and subsequent calculation of the perfect ARB diameter.

I doubt we'd get the tyre info (i.e. lateral load vs slip angle) for the tyres that we may use (Toyos, Yokos, etc) but some detailed calcs can still be achieved without them.

Just a few things off the top of my head. It's good to be back.
boost panda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:01 pm

boost panda wrote:Also, I'm still looking for (but probably will never find) full blueprint schematics for the Corrado chassis.
You just need to get someone to take a load of measurements of a Rado bay, when the engine is out. I could have done it when I had Badcrumble's shell. Shame.

mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda on Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:31 pm

Cheers dude Very Happy

gonna post up a bunch more stuff on here if that's cool.

the lack of engineering on CF is giving me a headache :/
boost panda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boost panda on Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:37 pm

tbh Stu,

My 16v heart is dead. When I have some free time (Jan looks good) I'll pull the engine and take it to the dump. Then store the box and have a look at everything.

I left the brakes half done before I went on placement and it's just a bit of a mare to remember what I need to do next.

At least if I have the chassis in CAD, I can play with ideas as opposed to it being a paperweight on my bro's drive.

Ah well, I'll get on with it soon enough Very Happy
boost panda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbeige on Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:42 pm

boost panda wrote:Cheers dude Very Happy

gonna post up a bunch more stuff on here if that's cool.

the lack of engineering on CF is giving me a headache :/
Definitely cool mate, be good to see some stuff happeneing on here to be honest, it's gone very quiet!

mrbeige

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum